Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I can't think of anything I particularly would want from a M3 that a remastered M2 wouldn't provide.  Some improved graphics, an implementation of some of the best of the modding community...that's all I really need.  Other than looking tired, and needing to mod it to open up all the factions etc., M2TW is a pretty perfect game IMO.

Put another way, there is little Rome 2 brought to the table, other than graphics and ship combat, that made me enjoy it more than Rome 1.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Only thing I would add is a late Medieval/Renaissance campaign, and maybe a similar mini campaign set in the late 14th-early 15th century, in italy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

But you don't really need a Medieval 3 to do that.  That would be like a Thrones of Britannia type DLC, right?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Pretty much yeah. The guys who put together the 1212AD mod are promising a 'Late Era' campaign, starting in 1327, which I would accept - it would just be on a much larger scale.

There was an Italian Wars mod for Medieval 2 years ago put together by a modder who eventually joined CA full time, but I never played it.

Italian factions like Milan, Genoa, the Papacy, Venice, Ragusa, etc. have always been some of my favorites to play in these games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I'd love to go back and give RTW another spin but I'm not feeling the need to go that far back in gaming time. Too retro for me even with new non-clone faces.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 05, 2021, 09:42:14 PM
I'd love to go back and give RTW another spin but I'm not feeling the need to go that far back in gaming time. Too retro for me even with new non-clone faces.
Newer total war games are even further back in time as far as I am concerned.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Boggit

Quote from: Destraex on April 06, 2021, 04:44:50 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 05, 2021, 09:42:14 PM
Newer total war games are even further back in time as far as I am concerned.
Trouble is that there are so many good mods for the original Rome TW. I particularly like Europa Barbarorum and RTW Platinum, both of which are still attractive and very playable even now.

If I get this rehash of the original, apart from a glossier look, there doesn't really seem to be much significant substance to it over the original. I had hoped they'd have had more realistic shields and helmets for the Marian Romans, but it looks like I'm out of luck. At least from the pics I've seen the banded armour has gone as it didn't really appear until the mid 1st century. I wonder if it will be compatible with any of the old mods - I don't suppose so, but I'm curious.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Toonces on April 05, 2021, 03:16:05 PM
I can't think of anything I particularly would want from a M3 that a remastered M2 wouldn't provide.  Some improved graphics, an implementation of some of the best of the modding community...that's all I really need.  Other than looking tired, and needing to mod it to open up all the factions etc., M2TW is a pretty perfect game IMO.

Put another way, there is little Rome 2 brought to the table, other than graphics and ship combat, that made me enjoy it more than Rome 1.
I love M2TW too. M3 would be improved with Rome 2 style ship combat, and improved graphics, but otherwise it's still very good, even now.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

AchillesLastStand

The game is going to have several quality of life improvements which is a big plus for me.

Gusington

For 1:35 that shows an incredible amount of info - thanks for posting!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Not a fan of the, 'yellowish' look of the map. Looks like somebody threw-up mustard all over Italy. I hope that can be adjusted in the UI Options.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 16, 2021, 10:17:59 AM
Not a fan of the, 'yellowish' look of the map. Looks like somebody threw-up mustard all over Italy. I hope that can be adjusted in the UI Options.

Well to be fair the game is going to have Steam workshop support, so hopefully this will be addressed via mods or reshade/sweetfx which am certain wasn't around in 2005.

Crossroads

Quote from: Gusington on April 16, 2021, 08:15:03 AM
For 1:35 that shows an incredible amount of info - thanks for posting!
No sighting of the feared Naked Fanatics though  :timeout:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

I believe a few RTW and Rome II hours will be clocked this weekend. The announcement for Rome Remastered got me all excited for some reason  :dreamer:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd