Spiderman Far From Home - SPOILER THREAD!

Started by airboy, July 02, 2019, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This is a spoiler thread.  Plot elements will be discussed. 
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!  :arr:

airboy

Spoiler Topic #1 - Peter Parker Gets Screwed!

I like how Mysterio and J Johnna Jamison screw over Parker as shown in the first end scene.

I'm not sure how Parker, Aunt May, MJ and Flash Thompson are going to handle Peter Parker's identity being told to the world.  It is AWESOME that J Johnna Jamison was the person who released the news.  They are going to give Peter a bunch of new problems.

airboy

2] Will Happy nail Aunt May?  Will Peter hang up Happy from a web?

airboy

3] Final end scene.  I think that Fury has recruited Scrulls for Shield.  I think that a new Helicarrier is being built in space.

Not sure what I think about "good Scrulls," but they would make great Shield agents.

I'm sure that people far more nerdy than I will put a lot more thought into this than I will, but that is my opinion.

jamus34

1) Yup definitely

2) I think he already did  :D

3) One of the things that was bothering me was how quickly and easily Fury took to Beck and allowed him into "the gang". It also explains why they had no ability to contact any other Avengers and when PP mentioned Captain Marvel he was given that specific response. Obviously the Skrulls (and I assume the Kree) will play heavily into the MCU Phase 4.
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Finally saw it last night. A damn perfect interpretation of Mysterio into the MCU: a dangerous con man with lethal fx. Couldn't be happier with it! Nice to think that Gyllenhall has a door open to come back.

I have minor niggles; like someone in production should have realized that having two tall young blonde women with similar facial structure, on two different teams (Shield and Beck's), would be visually confusing: so was "Take off your clothes" the same woman on both teams? I kept thinking that, from the resemblance, but it sure doesn't seem likely that Beck would bring any of his ex-Stark crew over to Shield since he's supposed to be from another dimension.

Incidentally, Mysterio's fictional backstory seems to be Feige's way of stating that they aren't going to do the multiverse after all, or not in any significant way.

The new spaceship is probably supposed to be the Sword of Damoclese, base for S.W.O.R.D., a counterpart to Shield dealing with more cosmic-level threats.

I was thinking that the Secret Invasion plotline would be dropped, even a version of it, due to the Skrulls being masssssively retconned as peaceful oppressed immigrants.  ::) Now I'm starting to wonder if Fury has gone rogue due to all the stress in his life, not least being "blipped", and has decided to just take over the world to be safe. So some version of the Secret Invasion might be back on the menu after all.

It would be HILARIOUS if Captain Marvel has been written so far, to be teaming up later with fallen-hero Fury to try to conquer the world. I would forgive almost everything dealing with her up to this point, if they go that route, because it would finally make sense to her MCU characterization and even origin story (i.e. she decides to insistently join a military force, which after all focuses on effectively killing people, not apparently for any patriotic or moral reason as far as we're ever shown, but only so that she can show those men how strong she really is. And then she's pissed that they won't let her fly combat, i.e. kill people! Her plot structure was absolutely insulting to every true soldier, men and women alike.  :tickedoff: But if she's being set up as a nascent supervillain, that would solve a lot of problems.)

Props to getting back whatshisname to play Jameson again. You can't compete against that, so you might as well do it!

Kind of sad that Hydroman and Sandman turned out to be fake, although knowing Mysterio's character I expected this (although Buzzfeed in the MCU does nail a lot of details about Hydroman so maybe he's around after all). How much of a Sinister Six does this get us? Vulture, Scorpion, Mysterio, um...... maybe Hydroman after all. (The Six tend to fluctuate in membership a lot.)

Leaving the co-dependent nanotech Iron Spider suit back home, seems to be another subtle step in the setup for MCU Venom.

People claimed the Black Suit was a step in that direction, but that's actually a Noir Spiderman reference. Lol'd at "the Night Monkey"! -- no idea if that's a deep-cut reference yet.

Clever-cute nod to the Ned/Betty relationship. (In the comics they eventually marry.)

Even Dead I'm The Hero, lolol. (I lol'd several times in this film.  O0 )

Glad to see Favreau being integrated better into the MCU again as Hogan. There's genuinely a way forward for Parker to be the new Iron Man, although word is that they're planning to do Ironheart which I think is a big mistake (unless they write Riri Williams a lot better which under current circumstances I have my doubts about. Or unless they make her a supervillain, too.)

Seeing Peter start figuring out how to use Stark's holographic UI was a great nostalgic moment. I suppose his choice NOT to fabricate another Iron Spider suit, even though that would be tactically superior, demonstrates Peter's distinct character.

I'm fine with dark-MJ: I realize they had to do something strikingly different to distinguish the product, so to speak, and this is acceptable. (Same with the bully Flash Thompson. Nice subtle nod that his attitude may stem from parental neglect.  :'( Also nice classic Flash callback to him being a huge Spider-fanboi, which he thinks makes him a better person although he's still a bully.) It helps that Zendaya is a good actress.

Great shield-and-hammer combo. Everything about the Mysterio fights were just gushy to me.  :smitten:

I'm not a big fan of writers kicking the Spider-sense to the curb randomly to make their job easier, but at least they directly lampshade doing so. Lampshading it doesn't make the plot device less lazily convenient, but I appreciate them addressing it topically in the story at least.

The writers knew there was no way to handle the "blip" (aka the "snap") in any non-ridiculous and non-catastrophic fashion, so I can accept them making it more of a joke in this film. I suppose we can assume that Banner thought ahead far enough to wish everyone back safely?

I appreciated how a lot of what appears to be sloppy and overconvenient writing turns out to be plot coherent.  O0

Callbacks synching to prior Iron Man entries: appreciated!  :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Slight update on Mysterio's other-dimensional backstory: I'm not nearly as familiar with the "Ultimates" Marvel continuity (a grittier reboot attempt from which the MCU occasionally borrows material), so I didn't recognize this, but when this Mysterio pretends to be an immigrant from an alternate reality, the writers are riffing on "Ultimate" Mysterio who, for no clear reason, was a traveler from an alternate reality.

Well played, writing guys.  :bd: :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!