Matrix sale is up and runs until January 12th, 2020

Started by Geezer, November 26, 2019, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Damn, 80% off War in the Pacific??  That almost makes me want to buy it again!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

demjansk1942

Getting this since its cheap, the Admiral Edition plus Grigsbys Bombing the Reich

RedArgo

Quote from: airboy on November 26, 2019, 01:03:54 PM
How good is:
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings

I really wanted to like this one, but I found the tactical AI was quite poor.  It would frequently not move at all even when it had me completely outclassed and I could mop it up a unit at a time.  It really sucked the fun out of it for me.

Yskonyn

So, at 20 dollah WiF's hardcopy package still isn't worth it? Wow. Is the game still not fuctional after all this time? Is it like its just a 20 dollar VASSAL module with hardcopy manuals?
What about the manuals? Aren't they worth 20 on their own? Any background info in them or are they just of the 'this button does that' type?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

As usual, I already have pretty much all the Matrix/Slitherine games I care to own.  Thanks to my anniversary coupon I used earlier this year, I'm pretty well set. 

That being said, both Civil War II and WitP:AE are tempting at those sale prices...  :dreamer: 

Quote from: airboy on November 26, 2019, 01:03:54 PM
How good is:
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings
My take on the game is similar to budd's

Pros: Decent battles, a good variety of playable nations, with nation-specific victory goals (it's definitely not always about painting the map in your colors).  I also really like the art style (I find it helps with the immersion factor), although that's obviously subjective. 

Cons:  The strategic side is lacking somewhat.  Diplomacy feels a bit underwhelming/not fully fleshed out, and development/infrastructure options for your provinces are fairly limited and/or possibly too abstract (depending on your tastes -- I could see some people liking it). 

Still, I would recommend picking it up.  For only $6.25, I think you'll get your money's worth. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FlickJax

Do people still play war in the pacific?  It scared me? too big

nelmsm

I picked WitP:AE and Piercing Fortress Europa. I plan on retiring in 31 months so that gives me time to tinker with it before tackling the entire Pacific War. I also have an interest in the Italian campaign so Piercing Fortress Europa for less than $10 made me buy it.

Yskonyn

Quote from: FlickJax on November 27, 2019, 04:35:38 AM

It comes down to your ability and fortitude to keep things organized. The game's UI makes this very hard so you'll need to make your own plan or use something like WitP Tracker.
Still, its indeed a considerable effort to keep track on what's where. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FlickJax

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 27, 2019, 07:28:28 AM

It comes down to your ability and fortitude to keep things organized. The game's UI makes this very hard so you'll need to make your own plan or use something like WitP Tracker.

Maybe not for me then... I haven't got the same concentration levels I used to have :(

W8taminute

Quote from: FlickJax on November 27, 2019, 08:35:00 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 27, 2019, 07:28:28 AM

Maybe not for me then... I haven't got the same concentration levels I used to have :(

I'm with you with respect to not having the same concentration levels as well.  Getting old stinks!  But my passion and desire to play monster games like this is still strong so I might pick up the Admirals Edition and stash it until I retire as well.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

WitP buy is a no-brainer; already have WitE and the European front was never my "thing."  No idea when to play it, mind you, but just in case, right?

FlickJax

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 27, 2019, 09:23:09 AM
WitP buy is a no-brainer; already have WitE and the European front was never my "thing."  No idea when to play it, mind you, but just in case, right?

I have loads of games now in the "Just in Case" category!!!

Rayfer

Quote from: nelmsm on November 27, 2019, 06:57:27 AM
I picked WitP:AE and Piercing Fortress Europa. I plan on retiring in 31 months so that gives me time to tinker with it before tackling the entire Pacific War. I also have an interest in the Italian campaign so Piercing Fortress Europa for less than $10 made me buy it.

I was looking at Piercing Fortress Europa as well but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The price is right but is it worth the time and effort to learn to play it? Anyone have it that can comment? Thanks.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo