Horus Heresy novels

Started by Hiimori, January 02, 2013, 04:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^That is quite melancholy. I like it!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hiimori

Now this sounds interesting!

I was never a big World Eaters fan (too plain brutal, wrong Chaos god etc. :P)), but this review of the upcoming HH novel "Betrayer" sounds as if I might change my mind. Lorgar and the Word Bearers are cool because they are so weird and I learned to like them in "The First Heretic", but perhaps Dembski-Bowden can change my mind about the World Eaters as well!

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2013/01/book-review-betrayer-by-aaron-dembski-bowden/
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Hiimori on January 09, 2013, 01:23:42 PM
Now this sounds interesting!

I was never a big World Eaters fan (too plain brutal, wrong Chaos god etc. :P)), but this review of the upcoming HH novel "Betrayer" sounds as if I might change my mind. Lorgar and the Word Bearers are cool because they are so weird and I learned to like them in "The First Heretic", but perhaps Dembski-Bowden can change my mind about the World Eaters as well!

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2013/01/book-review-betrayer-by-aaron-dembski-bowden/

There's actually a really good trilogy that follows the Word Bearers as well that's worth reading. And I believe it's out as an omnibus now.

JasonPratt

Commenting partially to register for further updates, but also to ask if it makes any sense to try to read the novels in chronological narrative order. (And if so what would that be? I can see some definite details in the summaries of course.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Hiimori

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 05, 2013, 09:32:45 AM
Commenting partially to register for further updates, but also to ask if it makes any sense to try to read the novels in chronological narrative order. (And if so what would that be? I can see some definite details in the summaries of course.)

No, I don't think you should sort the books chronologically. Most of the stories happen simultaneously, just in different locations or theaters. In addition, the order as-published is as chronological as you can get. It starts with Horus' Fall and his attempt to win the other Primarchs over, and then the Civil War erupts. So regardless of the fact that the storylines of many books take place simultaneously, there is still a a sequence of events, so reading them as published is the best idea.

Btw, another book was added to the series (and my collection) since I started this thread:

• 24. Betrayer: Blood for the Blood God
    It is well known that I favor Slaanesh, but I must admit that the Khorne guys know how to throw a party, as well! This book tells the beginning of the Shadow Crusade, when Lorgar leads his Word Bearers against the Ultramarines (who are still shaken from the attack on Calth). At the same time, Primarch Angron and his World Eaters come to the conclusion that it is a great idea to simply eradicate each and every civilization in the universe.

The next books announced are "Mark of Calth" (July 2013, Ultramarines), "Vulkan lives" (November 2013, Salamanders) as well as several audio books and limited time novellas.

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Hiimori

Today, The Black Library posted "A Timeline of Treachery" with recommendations about the order in which you should read the novels and where the audio dramas and short stories fit in:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/a-timeline-of-treachery.html

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Thanks Hiimori this is very useful.   Looks like I have been following the correct order for the novels themselves.  I like the list of short stories listed below the main list.  I really want to read more about the Dropsite Massacre and now I know which books to get thanks to this list.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

Thanks for the link Hiimori

(Now I just gotta get around to actually reading these...) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

spelk

One day I will have a crack at the Horus Heresy - but it certainly is an epic undertaking from the looks of it.

I've dabbled in a lot of the audiobooks, but they're very expensive for their actual length - many are only 1 hour in length. Compared to my usual audiobook tastes for similar costs being about 17-24 hours long. Still I do like a good space marine dramatisation. :)