Main Menu

WWIII Fiction

Started by Gusington, July 18, 2012, 08:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

I could be wrong, but I think you can download the kindle reader for free onto any computer or iphone.  I don't think you actually have to buy the device.

Gusington

I do have a smart phone but to be honest I do not like reading or forum-ing on it, it is a device of last resort for those things. I am old and old-fashioned. I'm curious if the Kindle app can be used on a regular desktop like you said.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on October 08, 2012, 03:41:51 PM
I do have a smart phone but to be honest I do not like reading or forum-ing on it, it is a device of last resort for those things. I am old and old-fashioned. I'm curious if the Kindle app can be used on a regular desktop like you said.

Here you go

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_ln_ar?docId=1000426311
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Good find on this new series....I'll likely be buying myself soon...thanks!

Gusington

Thanks for the link OJ.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Just finished the trilogy by Adam Yoshida.  The books were enjoyable and the arc of the plot was definitely believable if you accept the underlying premises.  The books advance you through a four year war with China which sees the use of hundreds of nuclear weapons and conflict across the entire Eurasian landmass, massive casualties, shifting (and surprising) alliances.  Yoshida doesn't neglect the economics or politics of the future conflict so the books aren't solely a homage to military technology around the world.  Yoshida paints a believable (if not realistic) scenario where the war changes the face of the globe and advances (US) military technology from where it is now to spaceships launching kinetic strikes from orbit by 2021.  He resorts to simplifying his narrative to a lot of massive battles with thousands of aircraft and missiles in the sky at once, much like many of the battles from the Honor Harrington series, but it didn't detract from the plot for me.  The editing is horrible, lots of typos, but I get the impression these books were only released electronically based on Yoshida's blog posts, so at $3 a pop I guess you get what you pay for quality-wise.  It didn't bother me.

Fair warning, Adam Yoshida is a self-described ultra-conservative, and much of his political commentary in this reflects.  However, to be fair, the hero of his books is an ultra-conservative POTUS who moves the US dangerously close to fascism during the course of the conflict he describes and Yoshida doesn't shy away from the negative consequences of his world view for the US or the world.

Airborne Rifles

Has anybody read this book?:

http://www.amazon.com/Chieftains-ebook/dp/B006ISI2DK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3M3QNNNCO06DN&coliid=I1S5LJS96VPDW3

Looks like a British Team Yankee.  I'm probably going to get it on Kindle and check it out.

the-isz

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on November 14, 2012, 10:16:48 AM
Has anybody read this book?:

http://www.amazon.com/Chieftains-ebook/dp/B006ISI2DK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3M3QNNNCO06DN&coliid=I1S5LJS96VPDW3

Looks like a British Team Yankee.  I'm probably going to get it on Kindle and check it out.

I haven't, but I love what I see. Thanks for the tip.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 19, 2012, 12:51:07 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on July 19, 2012, 12:26:55 PM
First Clash: Combat Close-Up In World War Three - haven't read it but it looks interesting for a vintage Fulda Gap 1985 scenario.

This one is quite good. It started out as an official manual and details the first 48 hours of combat by a Canadian Mechanized Brigade. Good luck finding it though because it has been out of print for years. Fortunately my local library had a copy! :)

Ha!  I found that one in a local library about 25 years ago myself!!  Kinda crazy, but it was a fun read, if pretty short on plot.

Airborne Rifles

Thought I'd try to breathe some new life into this thread.  I just finished a pretty good book called The Red Effect.  A former British intelligence officer wrote this and published it this year.  While other WWIII fiction tends to focus on the naval and air war (except Team Yankee and Red Army) this one focuses almost entirely on the ground war in Germany.  The dialogue is kind of rough and the portrayal of the Soviet high leadership is kind of cartoonish but the closer the author gets to the soldiers on the front lines the better the writing is.  It's told mostly from the perspective of British soldiers in northern Germany.  I think it's meant to be the first in a series because the book only takes the story up to the first morning of the war.  It's also the only WWIII book that I've read (other than Red Army) that doesn't portray the Soviets as mindlessly rushing into the guns of NATO tanks.  Good read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Red-Effect-Cold-ebook/dp/B00BWX7YUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1373297526&sr=1-1&keywords=red+effect

BanzaiCat

There's a lot of great recommendations here.

I wholeheartedly endorse Red Storm Rising and Red Army as well. The Ten Thousand was interesting take but not my favorite Coyle book. I never liked Team Yankee for some reason, but his other books are pretty decent.

One book that scared the absolute Christ out of me was War Day: http://www.amazon.com/Warday-Journey-Onward-Whitley-Strieber/dp/0030707315/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375661045&sr=1-3

While a nuclear war and not a ground war, the detail in the author's description of everything falling apart, as well as his central Texas descriptions (I lived in San Antonio when I read it) made this a pretty terrifying book. Not so much now, of course, but still it's one of my favorites.

I was going to get a Coyle book for my Kindle, but see he only has one book for it currently. I'm going to get The Red Effect now, and I've also heard that Vaughn Heppner's Invasion series is pretty good too - http://www.amazon.com/Vaughn-Heppner/e/B0041OTNL8/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Airborne Rifles

I'm reading the first Invasion book right now.  The story and characters are good but the military side of it is just too cartoonish and amateurish for me.   

BanzaiCat

I saw that in more than a few of the reader's reviews, which has held me back from getting the first one for now. I can certainly appreciate a good story, but if it's military-based, the facts better be right.

I've bought more than a few novels like this that are just utterly terrible. Just about anyone can publish anything these days, unfortunately. Or fortunately, because there are some great minor authors out there too.

Airborne Rifles

I just finished it. The military part reads more like an RTS game then any real connection to reality. I have to say though, the character development is pretty good and the overall strategic direction of the storyline is intriguing. It presents a future where China is more powerful and technologically advanced than the United States.  I may pick up the next couple books just to see how the story goes but for now I'm going to stick to some more serious reading.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.