Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier wip

Started by JudgeDredd, August 30, 2015, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

That new airbrush looks sweet. Let us know how you like it!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JudgeDredd

It came...yeehaaaa

It feels great in the hand and I'm hoping for more control over the trigger and therefore the paint and airflow.

The weekend beckons with a big smile!
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Cool!

What are you using for an air supply?

Barthheart

JudgeDredd

I don't notice it really. Noisy I guess - but not enough to annoy me or interrupt me watching whatever it is I'm watching at the time.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Way back when... I only used an airbrush for a short while before I left modelling  :(. I had used canned air for my brush as I couldn't afford a compressor at the time... I was about 14.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Barthheart on October 14, 2015, 09:27:55 AM
Way back when... I only used an airbrush for a short while before I left modelling  :(. I had used canned air for my brush as I couldn't afford a compressor at the time... I was about 14.

Me, too. And it was a very cheap airbrush designed for use with the canned air. I think it was one of the situations that taught me that sometimes you do need to spring for better quality equipment to get good results. The cheapy airbrush did OK but I never felt like I got the results I wanted.

JD, that airbrush looks very nice. It will be interesting to see how it works for you.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

I'll let you know as soon as I get some free time to use it. It feels great in the hand. Nicely weighted and I definitely feel like I'll get better, consistent spray using the trigger.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So - used the Neo TRN1 last night and it was awesome. Great feel and very controllable. There's a "bite" when pulling the trigger back which tells you pull anymore and you'll be getting paint (only air coming out up to that point)

I bent the end of my needle...being too forceful with a cotton bud cleaning it. So I've ordered a new needle. I'm still learning - what I can say.  :-[
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Whilst I was painting at the weekend with my super dooper Iwata Neo TRN1, I spent some time on the Sea Harrier.

I've got some touching up to do where I've been a bit sparse on the Sea Grey, some touching up on the 1000lb bombs where I should've masked more and the engine needs a couple of colours and some wash

Some slight over spray on the bomb - I should've masked better. You live and learn.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Some more progress.

Engine as "stock" - I was all for sealing it up never to be shown without alterations

Engine has been "enhanced". It'll do...it's far better than stock and I surprised myself at wanting to have a go at enhancing it

Added some Ultimate Modelling Products Rust

and Dark Dirt washes to dirty it up a bit

and rubbed down a bit...take some of the sting out

Without the flash

And in the fuselage

Sidewinders done and dirtied up a bit with Ultimate Modelling Products Dark Dirt

Bombs have been painted, though I had some overspray on the yellow towards the fins and so have to go over it and also have to try and work out a technique for masking the tip off so I can paint olive drab on the cone area
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

In reality, that fan would probably be immaculate. I may get rid of the wash and give it a paint with some chrome or aluminium again.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Damn JD, that engine looks like it could actually run!

AFA the bomb tips- isn't there some liquid mask that you can get?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys