Crusader Kings III - Coming 2020

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 19, 2019, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on May 21, 2020, 02:43:01 PM
Quote from: CJReich46 on May 21, 2020, 01:27:37 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 17, 2020, 05:26:38 AM
I look forward to purchasing it in 10 years, when the game is fully patched, and I can choose which DLC I want to get.

Most of the of the DLC features in II are implemented in III's release. However, I am with Martok on this. I haven't gotten the mileage out of CK II as I should, because at the time my Older PC was (when I was a 46) had problems with some features, but that was easily tweaked in settings or in the config.ini file (?) My new machine is more than capable.

That said, a lot of my problem was and I hope to the gods they don't do this with III, is the DLC spread. They seem to have slowed their roll with HOI IV, and Imperator a bit. They really need to make sure this launch is good. Period. 

Price tag isn't bad, though. However, I am patient.  Shadow Empire is soon.

fyi: just saw it for $44.49 (pre-order) at Greenmangaming.

Personally, I'm going to give this one a pass.  I never play CKII, though I still pick up any of the occasional DLC freebies.  Maybe one day after CKXX comes out...

Just FYI for people with game pass subscription, it will be part of that so no need to purchase elsewhere if you have it...of course if you don't, then greenman does seems like the only place with a discount on the pre order so far...

Toonces

I've put a ton of hours into CK2 and still don't entirely understand it.  Having said that, I watched a preview video on RPS the other day and I'm not feeling the love for a day 1 purchase.  Maybe I'm a bit jaded, kinda like Bannerlord....I need them to show me the money before I pull the trigger.  CK2 is pretty solid; I'm not sure how much more it can be pushed.

Impressions are mandatory before committing on this one for ole Toonces.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

nelmsm

Need to figure out CK2 before I'll pull the trigger on CK3

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on May 21, 2020, 07:54:01 PM
I've put a ton of hours into CK2 and still don't entirely understand it.  Having said that, I watched a preview video on RPS the other day and I'm not feeling the love for a day 1 purchase.  Maybe I'm a bit jaded, kinda like Bannerlord....I need them to show me the money before I pull the trigger.  CK2 is pretty solid; I'm not sure how much more it can be pushed.

Impressions are mandatory before committing on this one for ole Toonces.
To be fair, I don't get the impression Paradox is actually trying to "push" anything with CK3.  Instead, rather, I think they're simply trying to make a better CK2 -- the same game, essentially, just more accessible easier to learn.  I realize the term "more accessible" is almost a dirty word for strategy gamers, but CK2 is already sufficiently byzantine (no pun intended) that it truly could benefit from a revamped UI and an actual decent tutorial. 

Quote from: nelmsm on May 22, 2020, 10:19:12 PM
Need to figure out CK2 before I'll pull the trigger on CK3
Also, this. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Yskonyn

Not if CK3 makes learning the game easier.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

CJReich46

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 23, 2020, 12:51:41 AM
Not if CK3 makes learning the game easier.

Good point.  O0

Never thought of that.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Nefaro

Against hesitancy and initial wariness, I pre-ordered.

That's something I rarely do these days.

Will let you know if I break something.   <:-)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

pre ordered as well....hoping this one clicks with me more, it's a game i should love but i struggle with these paradox games...let this be the one:)

Pete Dero

A bunch of reviews :

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/214401/crusader-kings-iii-reviews (click for the reviews links)

Crusader Kings III Review - Attack of the Fanboy.
    Crusader Kings 3 Review - In the company of kings - GameRevolution.
    Crusader Kings 3 Review - TheGamer.
    Crusader Kings 3 Review - GameSpot.
    Crusader Kings III PC Review - GameWatcher.
    Crusader Kings III review - GodisaGeek.com.
    Crusader Kings 3 Review - IGN.
    Crusader Kings III: The Kotaku Review.
    Crusader Kings 3 review - Rock Paper Shotgun.
    Crusader Kings 3 review - PC Gamer.
    Crusader Kings 3 review – 'next gen' has arrived - PCGamesN.
    Crusader Kings III Review: A Worthy Heir - Screen Rant.
    Crusader Kings 3 review: Your noble story eternally unfolding - Shacknews.
    Crusader Kings III Review – TheSixthAxis.
    Crusader Kings 3 Review - Trusted Reviews.
    Crusader Kings 3 review: Spy, seduce and murder your way to victory in the best grand strategy game yet - VG247.
    'Crusader Kings III' Is a World of Complexity That Feels Powerfully Alive - Vice.
    Crusader Kings III Review – Game of Endless Thrones - Wccftech.

Most are very positive.

Grim.Reaper

Looks like a lot of high scores, at least the ones I have read...promising.

Gusington

Dammit all to Hell. I see Fanatical has it for 43.00. Anyone know of any lower price out there?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on August 31, 2020, 01:06:44 PM
Dammit all to Hell. I see Fanatical has it for 43.00. Anyone know of any lower price out there?

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/11676/Crusader-Kings-III/  should be $39.95        (but I can't check it from inside the EU)

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

And comes with microsoft game pass subscription, which I think you can get for $1 the first month and then like $5 for each month after that.  They have a decent vault of games (i.e. flight sim, wastelands 3, etc.) where $5 makes it very much worth it to me.  Unfortunately, I pre ordered crusader kings before I realized it was coming to game pass so didn't help me this time, oh well.  Even without it, has been worth it for me.