Naval Hurricane - New Naval game - Turn based Naval Combat?

Started by Destraex, November 23, 2021, 12:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Well they are trying to raise money for this. I am certainly not interested. Especially in supporting game projects in early access. You never know how they will turn out, if they turn out. Caveat Emptor. Graphics remind me of SES Jutland.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

That does look a lot like Jutland. Thanks for the Head-Up.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on November 23, 2021, 12:52:46 AM
Graphics remind me of SES Jutland.

Seems like it has to look something like SES Jutland if it has ships from that period.  The whole SES Jutland thing was kind of sad.  BUT maybe we can get a handle on some of the problems here.  First, there's a lot of really good data and documentation on these sea battles.  You can reconstruct things minute-by-minute.  All the specs on all the weapons are there and we even know they could definitely do some damage.  Plus as simulations, these things look relatively simple -- you just have ships and the sea.  HOWEVER -- I think all this is quite deceptive and tends to make people fall into making very bad games.
  Land games, where you the player lead armies (not in an FPS mode which is another mess of problems)...the time scale is relatively flexible and the player's role is indefinite.  All the information is represented pretty abstractly.
   So how should naval battles covering say 1900-1920 be represented?  You could even take the naval attack on the narrows at Gallipoli as a perfectly documented example.  There's a lot of built-in simplification there: static defenses, variable minefields a simple objective (get a fleet through the narrows).  Would work well solitaire.
   But given all that...how would you do it?  Simulate every ship?  (I'd say sure why not...some are real museum peices and weirdly effective...those French horrors from the 1890s did a better job during the landings since they went in pointblank having no other choice).  Okay.
   Simulating those ships.  Frankly, I'd say that's the fun part in a nutshell.  You have 20 different boiler types (nice!) and an insane number of different guns...plus airplanes and dirigibles and kites and balloons.  That alone would make the game bizarly fun I would think.  Kind of Like DCS boiler-and-steam-engine....very Byzantium 1908...sorry I've wandered off into my usual obsessions.  Anyway...starting from Jutland is a sure fire way to make a bad game.  They ought to try something else.  Even SES Jutland started with the Russo-Japanese war.  They might have done better to have avoided Jutland (a battle that makes no sense without plenty of simulated signals and radio interceptions and minefields and dirigibles etc. etc.)

Gusington

Well we do have Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts, still...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2021, 11:40:55 AM
Well we do have Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts, still...

That could be good, though it seems like simulating real ships and then maybe having modifications (which is realitistic since warships would get modified a lot).  Of course the real problem is that
naval actions need to have some point -- the narrows at Gallipoli being a crude objective, but one that for some reason hasn't been seriously looked at for computer games (the cardboard simulations would be hard to manage).  Of course no AAA game is going to go into anything like that any time soon -- but something like a DCS world for steam ships might be doable in the relatively near future.
  You could start simple.  I've looked at the steam engines used on boats in the Cape Fear River during the Civil war -- not the most complex engines known to man and probably not a huge problem to simulate compared to say a helicopter.  So you know...start with the Civil War and work up to the bombardment of Alexandria (1882) or something.

Gusington

If DCS Steamships: Cape Fear to Alexandria was developed, I would buy it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2021, 12:56:09 PM
If DCS Steamships: Cape Fear to Alexandria was developed, I would buy it.

Some of the ships of those times were in Fall of the Samurai.  I guess for a DCS like version you'd have to simulate firing up the boilers and what not, but possibly that could be made more interesting with
some Ruritanian subplots of some kind, though I guess the 1880s are kind of early for that sort of thing.  Though the Unebi (I think) did vanish in that time frame...knocked out by some Fu Manchi figure no doubt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Unebi

Oh boy...Fu Manchi?  Like the Chinese Henry Mancini?  Apparently Fu Manchu was originally a Doctor (eh Sax Rohmer?):

Gusington

^Yes and that is one of the many reasons I love Fall of the Samurai so very very much :)

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts starts in 1890 (slightly later) but melees can be set up between Japanese and Chinese ships of the time, Sino-Japanese War style.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd