The "Holy %$%# It's Hot Out There" Summer 2018 Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, April 02, 2018, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

First, the too long therefore haiku version:

My ear did that, too!
Once upon a time when a
hornet attacked me.

Sounds like a hornet or yellow-jacket. I got hit by one of those on my ear once, 20-something years ago, as I was walking out of a broadcast tower control station. I literally thought a piece of heavy equipment had swung loose and hit me across the head, WHAM! (Except without the noise, but my brain interpreted 'noise', too!) When I asked my boss what just hit me -- I was so punched-out I wondered if he had gone crazy and snapped and had hit me with a hammer or something -- he said he saw and heard the hornet (or maybe yjacket) attack, and we should get out of there before backup arrived.

He immediately took me to a clinic, where the nurse ascertained I had been stung, in that one slam-strike, at least three times, some of them on opposite sides of my ear! -- she wasn't sure one of them hadn't actually pierced my ear and gone through to the other side!

I'm allergic to everything, so that was an interesting day. Fortunately I was done for work already.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Damn Pratt - but didn't it hurt like a mofo? I didn't feel anything until later. Not that I'm complaining.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 08, 2018, 08:11:22 AM
Damn Pratt - but didn't it hurt like a mofo? I didn't feel anything until later. Not that I'm complaining.

It felt exactly like someone had taken a 2x4 upside my ear. It was not subtle; I didn't discover it later. That being the case, maybe yours was something else.  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Usually when I get a ringing pain anywhere above the neck, it's my wife's left hook. She once knocked down Joe Frazier for forgetting to lift the toilet seat.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Sir Slash

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on May 11, 2018, 10:47:03 AM
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/994962467322294272

My son's 8th grade class is in DC now.  Because of the high temps, the told the kids that they could forget the khaki or black shorts and wear gym shorts. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

trailrunner

Quote from: OJsDad on May 11, 2018, 10:50:53 AM

My son's 8th grade class is in DC now.  Because of the high temps, the told the kids that they could forget the khaki or black shorts and wear gym shorts.

I work here.  I wish adults had a rule that said when it got above 90F, we didn't have to wear a suit and tie.

MetalDog

90 here today.  Worked by the river all day.  Good breeze and lots of shade.  I gotta hand it to those rich people, they know how to landscape.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob