Main Menu

Fantasy General 2

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2019, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

$40 a bit steep for me, maybe when i get my yearly discount code later this year....

Steelgrave

Grim.Reaper

I'll admit, little puzzled on their pricing strategy for the various editions based on what you get.

$39.99 Base Game - Don't have too much of an issue with that, seems most games in this range.

$59.99 Hero Edition - Comes with the extra stuff that I don't care about (i.e. soundtrack, art, etc.)....but I would like to have the extra campaign.  Seems like it is a short 4-6 hr adventure and just don't think I could justify the extra $20 for it.  Wish they would sell it separate, but I assume they did on purpose to get people to buy that bundle.

$79.99 General Edition - So you basically get (2) DLC with this.  Thought I read somewhere that said buying these (2) as part of the bundle would be cheaper than separate, which makes sense.  But then that implies each DLC was going to sell for more than $20 a piece when they came out?  Unless they are huge expansions (maybe they are), that seems a bit high and makes me very afraid as to what the normal price will be.

Hate all these bundles, too many things to think about and then I end up just not buying:)

GroggyGrognard

Man, I'm jelly of you Grogs. My rig can't handle the requirements of FG2. Like not even the minimum requirements.

My loin moistening will have to suffer the walk of shame.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

FarAway Sooner

I enjoy a nice light-hearted romp, but I grew kind of tired of the following PG formula a while back.

Iteration #1:  Play a campaign a handful of times, until you get far enough in to realize the mistakes you made in your early-army selections that left you woefully unprepared for Scenario #XX.

Iteration #2:  Restart a campaign, eschewing all investment in anti-tank guns (or whatever) to focus on the only 2 or 3 types of units you'll need to win most of the game.

Iteration #3:  Start to face really brutal scenarios where the only way to win a decisive victory against an artificially opposed time limit is to play the game once, figure out where all the important enemy units will be (i.e., "dispel fog-of-war through grinding"), then start the scenario again with a carefully tailored disposition of forces.  Hope to win a decisive battle through a combination of lucky combat rolls at the start and trial-and-error.

Iteration #4:  Rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

Iteration #5:  After winning the last big scenario, restart the game, but see if you can win it by focusing on different unit types (e.g., "Can I use Archers instead of Crossbowmen to great effect in this game?  Or does the 1 additional hex of Archer range not matter against tough units, compared to the Armor Penetration ability of the Crossbowmen?").

A little of that can be fun, but if all you do is grinding through trial and error, it becomes silly.  I hope they offer up some different fare for this title.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2019, 06:20:27 PM
I'll admit, little puzzled on their pricing strategy for the various editions based on what you get.

$39.99 Base Game - Don't have too much of an issue with that, seems most games in this range.

$59.99 Hero Edition - Comes with the extra stuff that I don't care about (i.e. soundtrack, art, etc.)....but I would like to have the extra campaign.  Seems like it is a short 4-6 hr adventure and just don't think I could justify the extra $20 for it.  Wish they would sell it separate, but I assume they did on purpose to get people to buy that bundle.

$79.99 General Edition - So you basically get (2) DLC with this.  Thought I read somewhere that said buying these (2) as part of the bundle would be cheaper than separate, which makes sense.  But then that implies each DLC was going to sell for more than $20 a piece when they came out?  Unless they are huge expansions (maybe they are), that seems a bit high and makes me very afraid as to what the normal price will be.

Hate all these bundles, too many things to think about and then I end up just not buying:)
I think you get the Hero addition with the General Addition. So $20 of the $40 General Edition upgrade is for the Hero Edition and so each General Edition DLC is $10...no?
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2019, 12:45:12 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2019, 06:20:27 PM

I think you get the Hero addition with the General Addition. So $20 of the $40 General Edition upgrade is for the Hero Edition and so each General Edition DLC is $10...no?

correct but developer implied specifically getting the dlc with the general content (including hero) would be cheaper than buying the dlc seperate.  so to me that meant if you buy the 2 dlc seperate (regardless of hero content) it will still cost greater than $40.  otherwise buying seperate would be cheaper assuming you didn't want the other content.

jamus34

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 06, 2019, 12:26:47 AM
I enjoy a nice light-hearted romp, but I grew kind of tired of the following PG formula a while back.

Iteration #1:  Play a campaign a handful of times, until you get far enough in to realize the mistakes you made in your early-army selections that left you woefully unprepared for Scenario #XX.

Iteration #2:  Restart a campaign, eschewing all investment in anti-tank guns (or whatever) to focus on the only 2 or 3 types of units you'll need to win most of the game.

Iteration #3:  Start to face really brutal scenarios where the only way to win a decisive victory against an artificially opposed time limit is to play the game once, figure out where all the important enemy units will be (i.e., "dispel fog-of-war through grinding"), then start the scenario again with a carefully tailored disposition of forces.  Hope to win a decisive battle through a combination of lucky combat rolls at the start and trial-and-error.

Iteration #5:  After winning the last big scenario, restart the game, but see if you can win it by focusing on different unit types (e.g., "Can I use Archers instead of Crossbowmen to great effect in this game?  Or does the 1 additional hex of Archer range not matter against tough units, compared to the Armor Penetration ability of the Crossbowmen?").

A little of that can be fun, but if all you do is grinding through trial and error, it becomes silly.  I hope they offer up some different fare for this title.

This is kinda my thought process too. The PG formula which lacks any sort of randomization makes the games a puzzle, nothing more.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I agree with that - PG and similar games have always felt like puzzle games to me. But sometimes that's all I really want. I am a simple man.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 06, 2019, 12:26:47 AM

Agree with all you said.  I prefer my panzer games to be less puzzle more random.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

I bought Panzer General and Allied General back when they came out years ago, but I could never like them. The fixed script battle progression from map to map and the use of toy soldiers on an operational level just turned me off. This looks like more of the same.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

That iteration list has a lot of truth in it. Still like the series/concept, though!

Worth noting that Fantasy General 1 did have some random battles during the campaign, in every area.

Also worth noting that this in no way voided the Phoenix Knights as a gamebreaking unit that you practically needed to win the game and so had to level up to sooner or later (and sooner than later if possible). ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FlickJax

Steelgrave

Waiting for the next big sale or Matrix coupon. Same goes for Planetfall.