StarDrive -- 4x "action strategy"

Started by Martok, February 01, 2012, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on February 06, 2012, 10:40:48 AM
LOL.  That's actually an image of the Kilrathi, one of the playable races in the game.   They're inspired by the Bulrathi, one of the races from the Master of Orion series.

"Kilrathi"?  That is the name of the cat-like race from the Wing Commander series.  Surely the name cannot be the same.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Martok on February 06, 2012, 10:40:48 AM
LOL.  That's actually an image of the Kilrathi, one of the playable races in the game.   They're inspired by the Bulrathi, one of the races from the Master of Orion series.

These are actually called the Kulrathi... a portmanteau of both the Kilrathi and the Bulrathi from Wing Commander and MOO respectively. It is intentional, a reference to the greatness of both games. I was less enthused by this as a nod, as I prefer original aliens to "inspired by" stuff. Still, the game is looking quite good.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

^Can we change your handle to Son of Portmanteau?

Is there a release date or is this a 'when it's done' situation?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 12:00:25 PM
^Can we change your handle to Son of Portmanteau?

Is there a release date or is this a 'when it's done' situation?

Portmanteau - yet another word I'm unfamiliar with. Is it Kulrathi in origin?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

From Websters (and not Urban Dictionary, which probably defines it as some sort of deviant act):

QuotePortmanteau
2.: a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

Sometimes I feel like I'm the Roman governor tasked with civilizing the barbarians...  8)

In fact, Grogheads... the name of this forum... is a portmanteau (Grognard + X-heads).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Gusington

^Are you wearing your extra fancy smoking jacket today? The definition contained another word I have never seen before: morpheme.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on February 06, 2012, 12:30:36 PM
I thought it was X-Men?  WTF SoM?

No. This is X-Men:

But we digress.

WHERE IS MY BETA INVITE!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 12:31:56 PM
^Are you wearing your extra fancy smoking jacket today? The definition contained another word I have never seen before: morpheme.

Me? No. But I am sitting in my extra-cool Manchair (another morpheme for you rabble) beside the fireplace holding last night's ashes. That is opposed to my normal work environ in my library. So, well, take that.

Gusington

^Not you LB...you ninja'd me above. Son of Portmanteau should be required to wear a smoking jacket whenever he is online here.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 12:40:33 PM
^Not you LB...you ninja'd me above. Son of Portmanteau should be required to wear a smoking jacket whenever he is online here.

Agreed. And a codpiece.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 12:40:33 PM

More like a toga and a codex of laws.

Or I could go the "troll" route and look like this:

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

I like either. Whatever makes you feel more inflated.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 01:39:22 PM
I like either. Whatever makes you feel more inflated.

I'll be honest, Napoleon's head there looks a lot like my father. And if you put a reddish beard on him, it could look a lot like me.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

Monty, how do you find the game's pacing so far?  I'm obviously hoping it's not too frenetic. 

Also, I presume the game continues to run when combat occurs (like Distant Worlds)? 

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2012, 10:55:22 AM

"Kilrathi"?  That is the name of the cat-like race from the Wing Commander series.  Surely the name cannot be the same.

SoM is correct, and I can't spell:  That race in StarDrive are the Kulrathi.  And yes, they are also based on/inspired by the Kilrathi from Wing Commander (in addition to the Bulrathi from MOO). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces