StarDrive -- 4x "action strategy"

Started by Martok, February 01, 2012, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Tpek on April 26, 2013, 04:46:27 PM
And of course, still NOT out on Desura for those early-backers :P
In fact, we are waiting for the dev to hand out Steam keys.
You know, after he supposedly claimed we'd get the game via Desura and refused to give us those keys previously.
And many people were pushed into buying a Steam copy because of that.

This has NOT been my experience, as a backer. I promptly got a Desura code and then promptly got a Steam code. It could be that both my first and last name are near the beginning of the alphabet (he likely uses an excel sheet).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Anguille

Quote from: son_of_montfort on April 29, 2013, 12:19:03 AM
Quote from: Tpek on April 26, 2013, 04:46:27 PM
And of course, still NOT out on Desura for those early-backers :P
In fact, we are waiting for the dev to hand out Steam keys.
You know, after he supposedly claimed we'd get the game via Desura and refused to give us those keys previously.
And many people were pushed into buying a Steam copy because of that.

This has NOT been my experience, as a backer. I promptly got a Desura code and then promptly got a Steam code. It could be that both my first and last name are near the beginning of the alphabet (he likely uses an excel sheet).

I had the same experience...even got the steam code twice.

Jarhead0331

^You two seem to be the complete exception to the rule.  I have not received a steam code.  I've posted in the zer0sum forums, emailed zer0sum directly and emailed Dan directly, as well.  Nothing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2013, 06:17:51 AM
^You two seem to be the complete exception to the rule.  I have not received a steam code.  I've posted in the zer0sum forums, emailed zer0sum directly and emailed Dan directly, as well.  Nothing.
Received it again on the 27th (this saturday). Note, i am one of the kickstarters and did not purchase on Desura, this may be a reason.

Cheers

Kushan

Whats the opinion about the game itself? Is it worth getting now? Wait for the inevitable Steam sale or just pass it up and wait for the next DW expansion due out within the next few weeks? Whats empire building and colony management like? From reading the steam page, I'm sort of getting the opinion that the main focus is ship design and combat and that the 4x portion is just tacked on (much like the SOTS series).
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Tpek

Quote from: Anguille on April 29, 2013, 07:21:42 AM
Received it again on the 27th (this saturday). Note, i am one of the kickstarters and did not purchase on Desura, this may be a reason.

Cheers

I bought it via Desura.

mikeck

Quote from: Kushan on April 29, 2013, 09:07:24 AM
Whats the opinion about the game itself? Is it worth getting now? Wait for the inevitable Steam sale or just pass it up and wait for the next DW expansion due out within the next few weeks? Whats empire building and colony management like? From reading the steam page, I'm sort of getting the opinion that the main focus is ship design and combat and that the 4x portion is just tacked on (much like the SOTS series).

Few things...the empire building is more in depth than SOTS 2. You decide to build different buildings and shipyards based on what type of food/resources the world has. SOTS just has a development slider. Research is good but not as deep as SOTS.
Also, trade between worlds is not abstracted like SOTS. You actually have freighters going back and forth.

Combat is good but not as cool as SOTS 2...but also not as cartoonish

It is not as deep overall as DW so of you demand that level of complexity, this isn't for you.

Ship design and planetary management is better than DW As are the graphics.

Overall, I think stardrive is more complex and deep than endless space or SOTS. Not as good as DW.

If you are only looking for a combat/design simulator, go for SOTS2

Think DW light
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

I'd say "Distant Worlds light" is a pretty good description. 

I like it so far, but I'm really wishing the game had larger maps; a "crowded" "epic" map contains maybe 200 star systems.  I want to play with all 8 races in, but I feel rather squeezed in with that many.  I'm enjoying it, though. 

Odd -- and upsetting. 

Dan did say he just gave a bunch of Steam codes to the Desura guys, so hopefully you (finally!) get yours before too much longer.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you, man. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

I read a post on the StarDrive forum, from the developer, where he said that he was still in the process of sending out steam keys to Desura backers.  I believe that post was from 3-4 days ago.

panzerde

I gave up and bought it this weekend on Steam to see if the released version lives up to the hype.  I played a few hours. Overall I'd say it doesn't do anything as well as any of the other games out there.  Endless Space is easier to play and has a better UI.  SOTS2 has better ship design and combat.  DW just stomps all over it. 

Its not a bad game for a one person effort, but it seems like a one person effort. If you're looking for a beer and pretzels 4X game, this would serve. The second coming of MOO2 this is not.

Also, the way the map scrolls makes me want to shank someone.

If Zerosum ever gets around to issuing me a Steam key to go with my Desura purchase, I'm happy to donate it to a worthy home.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

Well, I agree other games do some things better but that applies to every game. Endless has a better UI than DW. SOTS 2 has better combat than both. DW Has better diplomacy. I don't think any space 4x beats them all at everything.

DW is the best by far...but compare the price of Stardrive to DW and its expansions. You get what you pay for.

It's sort of the Panzer Corp of space 4x. Not overly complex but fun and deep enough. I guess I like it so much because I wanted to like Endless space but didn't. I tried but found it far to shallow. People see what they want to in games. But of I go I'm expecting DW complexity with SOTS combat and Endless space UI, yeah, you will be disappointed.

Star Drive is the only game however that allows you to place items on your ship and location where you place those items has a direct impact on how the ship performs in combat... right down to making sure you place bulkheads around reactors.

I would not recommend it to anyone looking for a deep 4x empire management game. Wait for the DW expansion which adds ground combat.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tpek

People over at Desura are still frothing over not receiving the keys :P

EDIT: Got my serial, so now I can finally download the full version from Steam :P