Combat mission fortress Italy - Rome to victory

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 29, 2019, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

True, but the map generator also allowed you to edit it once generated.  It was a nice short cut to a custom made map.  When you make a map now, you start from a flat grass square.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: al_infierno on August 28, 2019, 05:36:57 PM
Call me crazy, but I'll pick a map carefully designed by a human over an algorithm pumped out by a computer 10 times out of 10.

And I'll take 1000 computer generated maps to play on over time than say receycling 10 hand-designed ones....

One possible issue with the hand-made maps - that I haven't observed, but speaking in general - is you can start building your maps to accommodate the scenario rather than simply give a realistic patch of land. In the days of hex-based boardgames, this was part and parcel of game design, and those Squad Leader maps look nothing like any real terrain. They're wargame maps, to facilitate the various rules of the game. You have a bit of that in CM, obviously, with the 8m grid and 'action spots'. But I've certainly had the temptation in my own map design, despite using 'factual' sources, to relocate a building or shave down the slope of a hill in order to facilitate how the units interact.

I thought the random map generator was very good, come to that, with some limitations - and if designing a historical scenario would always use it as a starting point, not an end point. I think a lot of designers would love to have the ability to generate something similar in CMX2 as a start point, rather than a plain wafer of grass at 20 metre elevation.

JudgeDredd

Seems to me no-one really talks about this and tbh I do not believe I'm the only person that's experienced it...the very, very annoying "You can't suppress that machine gun unit in the second floor of that building because you can't see the base of the building".

Proper game killer for me in certain scenarios.
Alba gu' brath

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 29, 2019, 01:42:59 PM
Seems to me no-one really talks about this and tbh I do not believe I'm the only person that's experienced it...the very, very annoying "You can't suppress that machine gun unit in the second floor of that building because you can't see the base of the building".

Proper game killer for me in certain scenarios.
Yeah, that experience does suck. A lot has been written about it and there are some things you can do. It's not perfect but check out my FAQ - see the section "Targeting Buildings"http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125783-the-cm2-faq-thread/

Elvis

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on August 29, 2019, 09:54:14 AM

And I'll take 1000 computer generated maps to play on over time than say receycling 10 hand-designed ones....

How about 1,000 computer generated maps over recycling 829 hand-designed one? :-)

829 is how many QB maps are in my CMBN QB Map folder and I haven't downloaded any player made maps.

Grim.Reaper

well, near end of september....are we now onto october?

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

well, their front page with no surprise now says october....no big deal for me since likely not a day one purchase anyway right now (too many other recent purchases) but really why bother posting any estimated dates anymore, the last few announcements haven't even been remotely close.  if i continually estimated that bad at my job, well i would no longer have a job:)

al_infierno

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2019, 04:22:58 AM
well, their front page with no surprise now says october....no big deal for me since likely not a day one purchase anyway right now (too many other recent purchases) but really why bother posting any estimated dates anymore, the last few announcements haven't even been remotely close.  if i continually estimated that bad at my job, well i would no longer have a job:)

For real.  There's nothing wrong with "when it's done" or "late 2019."  At this point they're clearly just continually rolling back the "estimate" as the months roll along.  Wouldn't be nearly as annoying if they had some degree of transparency ("hey guys, sorry but the new module is being pushed back because we're working on XYZ, but here's a screenshot or an AAR to hold you over") rather than just slyly updating the store page and letting people figure it out.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Not trying to start an anti-Battlefront rant here so please consider that but,... after long and hard effort I've FINALLY got my CM games up and running on Game Engine 4 and I really fear taking a chance on screwing them up by anything new right now. So, I'm majorly holding-off on everything for now. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Elvis

Quote from: al_infierno on October 02, 2019, 09:21:25 AM

For real.  There's nothing wrong with "when it's done" or "late 2019."  At this point they're clearly just continually rolling back the "estimate" as the months roll along.  Wouldn't be nearly as annoying if they had some degree of transparency ("hey guys, sorry but the new module is being pushed back because we're working on XYZ, but here's a screenshot or an AAR to hold you over") rather than just slyly updating the store page and letting people figure it out.

Actually, that is exactly what we've been doing the last few months. So, I agree with you completely. :-) I can add some links here if you'd like. Both Steve and myself have posted what has been dragging it out (mostly a bear of a TO&E). And we started a Beta AAR. And I've been dropping a coupla/few screenshots a week.

And, for what it's worth, if you had offered to bet me 2 weeks ago if it would be out in September I would have taken the bet that it would be.

On the subject of the TO&E, I was rewriting the release message for the web site today for when the announcement is made (usually announced a day or 2 after release) and I was looking at the pre-order announcement....shaking my head as I looked at the phrase "....adds nearly 100 new formations and over 50 new vehicles.....". Makes my brain hurt thinking of 100 formations......

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Elvis on October 02, 2019, 04:55:28 PM

Actually, that is exactly what we've been doing the last few months. So, I agree with you completely. :-) I can add some links here if you'd like. Both Steve and myself have posted what has been dragging it out (mostly a bear of a TO&E). And we started a Beta AAR. And I've been dropping a coupla/few screenshots a week.

And, for what it's worth, if you had offered to bet me 2 weeks ago if it would be out in September I would have taken the bet that it would be.

On the subject of the TO&E, I was rewriting the release message for the web site today for when the announcement is made (usually announced a day or 2 after release) and I was looking at the pre-order announcement....shaking my head as I looked at the phrase "....adds nearly 100 new formations and over 50 new vehicles.....". Makes my brain hurt thinking of 100 formations......

For me it doesn't have anything to do with whether you provide updates or not, certainly appreciate them but more of the point is the fact the company hasn't remotely hit their planned release dates for a very long time.  Publishing any date (even month) is kind of pointless since in most cases your not missing by days or weeks, you missing by months.  There is always some reason it gets missed and it really doesn't even matter the reason.

As for your bet two weeks ago that it would be released in September, equally I would have bet against it...looks like I would have won:)  Are you equally now betting on October?  I guess we'll see in the next 29 days.

Don't get me wrong, actually doesn't matter much to me anymore since not a day one purchase anyway (at least I think) but just hate seeing the same cycle happen over and over again.

Elvis

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2019, 05:16:38 PM

As for your bet two weeks ago that it would be released in September, equally I would have bet against it...looks like I would have won:)  Are you equally now betting on October?  I guess we'll see in the next 29 days.

Sure. Should we bet something silly like the winner gets to chose an avatar that the other has to use for a month?

al_infierno

Quote from: Elvis on October 02, 2019, 04:55:28 PM

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see an announcement for the October delay, which is what I'm talking about -- aside from the store page being updated on Oct. 1st to say "expected in October."

As always Elvis, I appreciate your responses.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Elvis on October 02, 2019, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2019, 05:16:38 PM

Sure. Should we bet something silly like the winner gets to chose an avatar that the other has to use for a month?

You have unfair advantage, one of these months it has to be released:)