Conquest of Elysium 5 Announced!

Started by CJReich46, May 13, 2021, 10:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFjordFox

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 14, 2021, 09:18:19 PM
I've been having trouble with the forces of Inferno. It seems as if every time I start, a portal is opened up before I get a chance to grow, and they roll over me. Maybe this is a recent addition. The game is challenging enough as it was, I can't seem to find a way to overcome this new challenge.

In villages, hamlets etc, I believe one of them on any given map generated, there will be one or more mad cultists. If these are not killed at any point, they will open a gate to inferno later in the game. Killing them before they open the gates will solve this problem in most cases. Sometimes it's no up to you to do that tho, you need to rely on the AI taking them on. Which can be dodgy. There are other ways to open a gate to inferno as well, but in my experience this is the main one.

However, and I'm not sure about this, but it seems that if you do this, removing one end-game crisis, another one will just randomly take it's place instead. Take this with a grain of salt however.
I'm just another random.

solops

Quote from: al_infierno on November 14, 2021, 11:29:45 PM
Well I'm starting to get the hang of the game, playing as a human baron I've managed to get a reasonably sized army marching around the map and taking valuable money-making positions.  It feels a lot more familiar to a traditional 4X than Dominions 5.  Seems like it would be interesting in multiplayer but I'm not sure how much player interaction / diplomacy there is here compared to Dom 5.

Al, what is the difference between CoE and Dom?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on November 15, 2021, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on November 14, 2021, 11:29:45 PM
Well I'm starting to get the hang of the game, playing as a human baron I've managed to get a reasonably sized army marching around the map and taking valuable money-making positions.  It feels a lot more familiar to a traditional 4X than Dominions 5.  Seems like it would be interesting in multiplayer but I'm not sure how much player interaction / diplomacy there is here compared to Dom 5.

Al, what is the difference between CoE and Dom?

On a broad level, CoE is more straight forward and plays a lot faster.  You don't have to fiddle with army compositions, spell cast orders, and things like that - you just attach troops to a general and march them around the map to kill stuff and take valuable tiles, a la Heroes of Might and Magic.  The battles are still automated, so you don't have much control over the battles compared to Dom, so it's kind of a balance between convenience versus depth of strategy.  It's refreshing to play after spending a lot of time in mid-to-late game Dominions.

Also, there are destructible obstacles like trees, fortress gates, etc which makes things battles bit more interesting.

The world map resembles Civ IV with the square tile-based generation, and lots of empty terrain tiles in between valuable tiles like mines and oasis.  Also, you move around generals with an "action point" style system like in Civ games.  The income and troop production is also very reminiscent of Civ - you'll have to wait several turns and use your starting army wisely to grab some valuable tiles so you can get an income rolling before you're really able to raise a sizeable army.  It's not like Dom where you're basically rushing to pump out troops and grab everything in sight ASAP.  Your economy is slow to start, and roaming independent armies like pirates and wild animals will periodically attack you and try to take valuable tiles away.

In a sense, I would describe it as being like a cross between HoMM and Civilization IV with a classic Illwinter asymmetric game design.  The Human Baron plays completely differently to the Troll King or the Kobold Lord, etc.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao