Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster

Started by al_infierno, November 12, 2021, 04:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Anyone pick this up after today's release?  The launch has been a huge disaster.  Apparently the whole source code was leaked through the Rockstar launcher, so they removed it from the store on PC.  Currently all PC users who preordered are boned.  Anyone interested in the game be warned.

Overall, the remaster looks pretty uneven.  The environments and lighting look pretty good, but the character models are janky, and there's an astonishing number of typos and mistakes in the upscaled textures.  Apparently they used some AI-based automatic texture upscaling tech, and failed to perform a basic spellcheck before slapping them out for release.  Some people who are playing the games say the GTA III remaster is fairly good, but Vice City and San Andreas seem rushed.

Maybe worthwhile on a discount, but $60 seems pretty steep.

This youtuber does a pretty good breakdown of the details of this disastrous launch:

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Haha!  They misspelled wankbooths in the remaster. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I've never played any GTA. Let the virtual flogging commence.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 05:39:27 PM

Well...now's the time isn't it?

I mean, no lie they're excellent games.  Strong story, great gameplay...really, really fantastic.

I prefer Red Dead and RDR 2 is high on my list of greatest games ever made.  But the preceding games are great too.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I have not played any GTA, Red Dead, or Mass Effect...how do I choose?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Basically, if you like the idea of playing around in a modern day city set in a Mafia movie like Goodfellas or The Godfather -- play one of the GTA games.  GTA V is probably the most accessible and optimized GTA game on PC, but unfortunately has the least "mafia movie" vibe of the whole series.  GTA IV has a nice atmosphere in its New York City style setting, but the PC port is hot trash and it might not run well.

If you want to play around in a wild west world set in a Sergio Leone film like The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, play Red Dead 2.  Honestly, I think it's a better game than the GTA series because it has much meatier gunplay and a more interesting and interactive open world.  It's a fantastic game and has been around long enough that it's fairly well optimized for most PCs, though occasionally the devs introduce new bugs into singleplayer when they add updates to multiplayer (anyone remember the glitch where your camp mates constantly say "Aren't you cold?" even in 85+ degree heat?).

Mass Effect is a super different style of game, it's much more of a narratively focused Bioware style RPG like KOTOR.  There's a bit of hub exploration and nooks and crannies to find, but no real open world like Rockstar games.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

The comparisons warrant a separate thread entirely, I suppose...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 05:39:27 PM

Same here Gus...and I probably never will.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 06:37:53 PM
I have not played any GTA, Red Dead, or Mass Effect...how do I choose?

You should immediately buy the ME trilogy and play them all through. They are excellent.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

ME trilogy is definitely on my list. I play most games so slowly it would probably take me 1000 hours to finish all three ME games.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

GTA remasters are still unavailable a full day after release, and people who bought it still can't play it.  People thought the Cyberpunk launch was rough, but this launch is an unprecedented disaster.

- MengJiao

jamus34

I mean you should probably experience all three series.

My personal order would be
ME 1st
RDR 2nd
GTA 3rd

In all honesty I do not think the GTA trilogy ages well. You're better off playing V which is a much superior game, especially on PC.
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

Quote from: jamus34 on November 13, 2021, 04:55:00 PM
I mean you should probably experience all three series.

My personal order would be
ME 1st
RDR 2nd
GTA 3rd

In all honesty I do not think the GTA trilogy ages well. You're better off playing V which is a much superior game, especially on PC.

+1, I was just playing the original GTA San Andreas with mods (because I bought it long before they removed it from the Steam store) and it's just not a very good game by today's standards.  It's clunky, poorly paced, and the mission/respawn system is just awful.  V is a lot better but I found the story to be rather lacking in comparison to the older titles.

And yeah, nothing beats a first playthrough of the ME series!  Rockstar games only have them beat in terms of open-world "create your own fun" type gameplay.

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd