Main Menu

My new baby

Started by JudgeDredd, May 22, 2012, 08:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Aint she a beaut?

I've been commuting cycling for almost 4 years now with a bi-weekly longer ride (10-15-20 miles) thrown in. I've enjoyed cycling and this year I'm doing a charity ride cycling from the west coast of England to the east coast - and so I thought I'd treat myself to a new bike. Not just because of the charity ride, but because I've been enjoying cycling for leisure.

I do road cycling - never off road stuff - and so got me a pertty Sectuer Triple

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Wow! That looks like a really special bike! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Enjoy it! But, as general counsel to a major importer ansd retail distributor of bicycles, please remember safety first! Don't forget to do your pre-ride inspections and ALWAYS read the manual!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Keunert

the colours don't match your interior design but apart from this the bike looks cool and very uncomfortable.
are those wings of war miniatures?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

JudgeDredd

Oh no probs JH

I received it yesterday - and she's still in the garage today.

Last night I put her pedals on, sorted her handlebars out, adjusted the saddle, tried the brakes and checked the wheels and gears and then took her a couple of times up a 100 meter track to test - then she went back in the garage.

I took my old bike to work this morning - as much as I wanted to take her out, I decided to try her up and down the gears tonight again - and I have to sort my insurance out.

So I'm taking my time. Going to look at the manual tonight.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Yep Keunert - I was wondering if anyone would notice them.

I have an Me-262, a Spitfire Mk?, an Me-109, He-111 and a Stuka. I'm currently working on a Mosquito. They'r e amix of Hasagawi, Revell and Airfix. I think the Stuka is actually an Italian model maker - not sure.

I'll take a photo tonight so you can see them. They aren't great by the way...I like them - but I'm no pro - and I only really do them for stress relief.

I've been making models the last few years - but very slowly. I like to get them out on a Sunday afternoon when there's something special I want to watch but doesn't require too much attention.
Alba gu' brath

MIGMaster

Sweet bike! How many gears/speeds ?

LongBlade

Nice looking bike.

Are the planes 1:144 scale?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JudgeDredd

24 speed

It's just going to be nice to have a bike that's suited for my height. When I bought my bike more than 3 years ago, I had NO IDEA you got different sizes of bike. I hadn't had a bike since I was a kid - so I just thought you got kids bikes, gilrs bikes and boys bikes.

So I went in the shop and bought a bike. That was that. Turns out I'm over stretching because the bike is too big for me...loads of people have told me - but I just didn't want to pay alot of money to replace a perfectly good bike.

But I've been suffering numb toes and fingers - mostly down to my weight, partly down to my footwear and partly down to my overstretching...so I decided - as I do more than 1000 miles a year and I'm looking to increase that, I deserved a new bike.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

The aircraft are 1:72. I did have a 1:48 Mustang - but it got broken. My daughter was gutted because she loved it and it was her pride and joy. I have to say, it was, by far, the best one I ever made.

I think I may have posted pics of it on Wargamer or Matrix a couple of years ago.

I'm looking to go to 1:48s though. They are so much easier to build. Less fiddly (although not so for some parts!)
Alba gu' brath

Keunert

damn... i was trying to figure out what kind og guy you are from looking at the picture.
don't give away all your data....

my guess was:

either no kids, or already flown out.
married or a women in the home.
good education
political close to the center
slightly above average income
mid forties to mid fifties
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Keunert on May 22, 2012, 09:08:57 AM
damn... i was trying to figure out what kind og guy you are from looking at the picture.

my guess was:

good education
Not bad at all!

But 2 kids - 11 and 15

Do you work in marketing or something?
Alba gu' brath

Centurion40

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 22, 2012, 09:14:53 AM
Quote from: Keunert on May 22, 2012, 09:08:57 AM

my guess was:

good education
Not bad at all!

But 2 kids - 11 and 15

Do you work in marketing or something?

He's just gifted.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Keunert

no i just read stig larsson's the girl with the dragon tattoo and this woke my inner holmes a little
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

MikeGER

your bike looks great! 8)   (i know that brand from MTB)
take care on the road !!

(usually motorist hate cyclists.. and then number of "gentlemen-drivers"  seem to shrink by the month... especially nasty around here small delivery vans of all kinds (Sprinter class), those even don't bother about potential collisions with 1.8t LandCruiser, so a cyclist is just 'a roadkill'
... that's why i ride MTB and avoid streets as much as possible)

JD, ever thought about slaving one of those  'action cams' to your bike, body or helmet and record some footage just for fun       

JudgeDredd

I did have a couple once

I had a Veho Atom. It was a great size (very small) and light, but I sent it back because the battery was meant to last 1 hour and actually lasted 35 minutes.

I then had a Veho Muvi 10HD. It was a quality camera but looked pretty stoopid on your helmet. I sent that back too - and the reason? Veho said it had a 4 hour battery life and it lasted 2 hours 40 minutes.

So - if anyone is going to buy a video camera - be wary of Veho - they have a tendency to listening to the marketing types and over enthuse over the battery life. always take at least a quarter off what they say...that's my experience.

I am on the lookout for a camera though. A nice smallish one for my helmet. Preferrably one with swap-out batteries so I can just keep chucking batteries in. I'd like one for my ride across England - but haven't found one with enough battery life as yet.
Alba gu' brath