Curing Spider Phobia

Started by LongBlade, May 22, 2012, 12:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Martok, you might find this article interesting. Its says phobias can be overcome in as little as a couple of hours - but requires exposure to them in order to get past it - a tall order, I'm sure.

QuoteHauner told LiveScience she hopes people who have specific phobias, particularly of spiders, will realize that successful treatments are out there, and that their phobias can take just hours to cure (though some cases can take a couple weeks to cure, she noted). "It's still not easy. It involves being motivated to overcome your fear."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/22/spider-phobia-cured-with-2-hour-therapy
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I can vouch for that. I was queasy around bugs (not really spiders) of all types until I moved to my house and had to deal with the f*ckers directly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on May 22, 2012, 12:15:34 PM
Martok, you might find this article interesting. Its says phobias can be overcome in as little as a couple of hours - but requires exposure to them in order to get past it - a tall order, I'm sure.

QuoteHauner told LiveScience she hopes people who have specific phobias, particularly of spiders, will realize that successful treatments are out there, and that their phobias can take just hours to cure (though some cases can take a couple weeks to cure, she noted). "It's still not easy. It involves being motivated to overcome your fear."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/22/spider-phobia-cured-with-2-hour-therapy

Now THERE's a therapy I will never take!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Thanks for the link LB; that was an informative article.  Not sure how...interested I am in overcoming my phobia (particularly if that's the prescribed treatment), but I take some comfort in that it can be overcome. 

I'm also curious now as to just how strong (or not) my phobia is:  While spiders do still instill a fairly strong "fight for flight" response in me, I can't say I'm bad as most of those people mentioned in the article.  I may be wary while entering a room that I know has a spider in it, but I don't think I've ever felt compelled to avoid it entirely (much less for days afterward). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces