Congrats to SpaceX and their Dragon!

Started by steve58, May 31, 2012, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

LongBlade

Glad to hear that the US is at least sorta back in the space program.

I've heard that this program is "heavily subsidized" by NASA...whatever that means. I'd rather NASA just paid full fare. "Subsidy" smacks of financial shenanigans that has little place in the free market.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

OJsDad

It was my understanding that this first trip was all out of SpaceX's pocket, to prove that they could do it.  NASA is paying for 10(?) additional flights.  Not sure about subsidies, but there is a lot of private money involved.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

My worry is that we'll end up with 2-3 Ginormous companies ruling the roost when it comes to moving furniture in space, much as the major defense contracts only go to the current usual suspects, sometimes after a game of Little Guy Buyout to confuse the public and Congress. I think we all know the next verse in that song...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 31, 2012, 08:55:49 PM
My worry is that we'll end up with 2-3 Ginormous companies ruling the roost when it comes to moving furniture in space, much as the major defense contracts only go to the current usual suspects, sometimes after a game of Little Guy Buyout to confuse the public and Congress. I think we all know the next verse in that song...

Yeah, but the alternative is the government doing it without competition.

Space travel is an enormous undertaking. As it becomes more common, hopefully the barriers to entry will fall and we'll have more competition.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

steve58

Cool photos, thanks for the link.  I was watching the re-entry/splashdown live yesterday and the video feeds were pretty bad.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 31, 2012, 08:55:49 PM

SpaceX, when it absolutely, positively has to launch overnight.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598