Golden Gaming Memories...

Started by Jarhead0331, July 13, 2019, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

FlickJax

My first ever wargame.....

And thanks :)

AchillesLastStand

The first game I absolutely loved was Medieval Total War although my PC at the time had trouble running it. What a wonderful soundtrack

Skoop

The origional gunship for comodore64, played it to death when I was 12.  Then I learned to surf and didn't touch video games for 15 years.  Now in middle age bliss I've come full circle back to wargaming and flight simming, prepar3d to Dcs and everything in between.

Gusington

If you had a Commodore 64 on a surf board you would have been the coolest kid on the block.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Unless you lived in Kansas. Even though, you'd still be pretty cool. The original Might & Magic on my Commodore 64/128 made me so cool I've never managed to catch-up to myself in coolness ever again.  :nerd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

There's water somewhere in Kansas.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

I'll throw one into the ring. One of the first proper flight sims I ever played. Really liked this game growing up.

Skoop

Quote from: Gusington on July 15, 2019, 02:01:11 PM
There's water somewhere in Kansas.

Not sure how much you guys follow surf culture, but Kelly Slater build an artificial wave site in Lemore, Ca.  It's a hundred miles from any ocean and it's been highly successful.  Quite an engineering accomplishment, they just haven't figured out how to bring it to the masses.  When they do, it'll be a great day for Kansas or other land locked areas.

DennisS

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on July 15, 2019, 11:58:53 AM
The first game I absolutely loved was Medieval Total War although my PC at the time had trouble running it. What a wonderful soundtrack

I also played this one a lot...the Kingdoms expansion was excellent, and I played as native American tribes. Pretty cool to crush the invading Spanish.

Gusington

The Kingdoms expansion was for Medieval 2.

I too still listen to the first Medieval soundtrack, 15+ years later. It really is that good.

I wish Toonces would check in on this thread...especially on the Surfing in Kansas set up!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I don't believe that surfing counts unless it involves dodging sharks and diving pelicans. But if the majority accepts that is possible in Kansas, then I'm down with that. I'm trying to figure a way to water ski in my pool involving a ski rope and either a large dog chasing squirrels or my missus driving the riding mower in high gear. So far it's still an on paper concept.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 15, 2019, 03:10:10 PM
I'll throw one into the ring. One of the first proper flight sims I ever played. Really liked this game growing up.

I've always thought Strike Fighters 2 made a good replacement for the old Jane's survey sims.  I put a few hours into Jane's USAF.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

IIRC, there was some kind of hack to make the Harriers capable of STOL and VIFF because the vanilla sim had them function as regular jets.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

IICptMillerII

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 15, 2019, 09:11:59 PM
I've always thought Strike Fighters 2 made a good replacement for the old Jane's survey sims.  I put a few hours into Jane's USAF.

I definitely agree, Strike Fighters 2 is a great series that really does feel like a proper spiritual successor to the older Janes flight sims. Though for me the Janes games are still much more nostalgic.