WW1Gold absolute newbie tutorial / AAR project

Started by JasonPratt, July 05, 2013, 11:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Lord help us, because the scenario designers sure don't: with the wrong corps attached to an army HQ from the outset, the detachment demonstrations become goofy! Anyway, detachments and rail travel covered (although rail is still not quite demonstrated for reasons) in Part 10.

Next time, CAN IT BE? WILL THERE FINALLY BE ASS KICKING!?!!? Maybe.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

FINALLY THERE IS ASS KICKING!

Specifically my ass got kicked. I was playing as the Russians against the Germans. You might do better. If the computer makes random differences in how the Germans prepare.

Anyway, Part 11 has been occurred.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Part 12 is attached below, which tosses around some information about the phases that (may or may not) happen each turn. This as you might imagine isn't a very long or graphic part. That sounded so different in my head before I typed it...

We're getting very close to the point where a player should feel comfortable working through a small scenario or even consider starting a grand campaign, even though we haven't covered a ton of things like econcomics or diplomacy or technology or the special oddities of air and naval combat (or of trench warfare) -- but my goal is to get the reader (ESPECIALLY INCLUDING MYSELF!) comfortable enough with the underlying concepts of the game to not be daunted at picking up the official Big Manual to look up details: we'll have an operating framework to fit those details together with now!

Part 13 next time will most likely be the final tutorial then, talking about supply (which is ludicrously important for any large scenario) and maybe the map filters (since one of those helps figure out supply teases what the supply situation may or may not be in various places). I may add a Part 14 to discuss what the initial choices of a grand campaign are about.

JasonPratt

And so it ends, sort of, in suppliance and confusion, with a look at the ultra-important rules for supply (and isolation), and the ultra-confusing way the game provides this information. (Along with some mostly useless map modes, not least of which is the supply mode which makes anti-sense.)

From this point a player should feel comfortable working through a scenario (or I do anyway), so long as you get a grip on your supply rules and don't rely on the computer to help you with those. Oh, it'll know the supply rules and apply them ruthlessly, but it won't help you until you're already in trouble. And then it only tells you you're in trouble, not how to get out of trouble again.

So LEARN THE SUPPLY AND ISOLATION RULES! They aren't really that hard, but you'll have to keep them in mind yourself. (Very similar to the Unity of Command supply rules, actually easier in some ways although more detailed. When in doubt, trace supply two hexes out from any railway or city with a railroad. Or from an HQ within that range. Or from an HQ sitting on a beach head. So long as the naval supply rules are met which are even easier. And so long as you aren't relying on a minor port. And so long as a fortress isn't blocking your way.....)

JasonPratt

If you're like me, and I know I am, you may be feeling something like 'confidence' in playing the game now.

By no coincidence whatsoever, GUNS OF GROGUST is looking for a fourth member for email multiplayer! Learn the limits of your conceit! LEARN THEM!!

Also, learn how to play the largest campaign from the beginning. :)

(Or if Guns of Grogust is already full by the time you get there, you can start a new thread looking for other new players wanting to set up a WW1 99th anniversary game.)

JasonPratt

Bumping old topic since WW1Centennial Edition on Steam may be getting its legal issues sorted out: Gamersgate is selling Steam keys this week at half-off, or US$10, and someone on the game's Steam forum confirmed his GG code activated the game.

Though I haven't played the CE yet (which is not a Matrix/Slitherine/Ageod release, thus probably the legal issues), reportedly the new devs have nicked some of the old bugs and quirks; and though the released originally with some new bugs, those were flattened before the legal issues reared up.

Be aware, I have no idea what may happen to your $10 if the legal issues don't work out in WW1CE's favor.

Incidentally, we never did get enough players together to run a game for the 99th anniversary; and I'm pretty swamped right now with 'things to do'. But theoretically, the concept is still active, so if anyone wants to run a Grogheads mp game with the CE (or with the G edition for that matter) I'm okay with calling it Guns of Grogust. :)

JasonPratt

As I was going through last year's tutorial yesterday, I found a number of outright errors, and a number of composition goofs; so I have updated and consolidated the tutorial into 5 new parts, which I'm appending below.

JasonPratt

And then here are the two last parts (I had to break it up to avoid the 10Meg limit).

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Moreb

I registered here just to check this out. Thank you very much for your effort. Can't wait to dig into this. Been a fan of this game for a long time and look forward to learning things that I did not know.

mo reb
When dongles fly? - mirth

MetalDog

Welcome to Grogheads, mo reb!  Glad you made your self one of us.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

one of us
one of us
one of us

:D

Going back after a year and editing these, makes me want to return to taking a crack at the grand campaign. Originally I had planned to do that as well as comparing a bunch of other WW1 games in a mega AAR, but I overdosed on Darkest Hour WW1 earlier this year so I went to go play with the Amazons instead. ;)

Mental note: WW1Centennial is still $10 at Gamersgate for a few more days. Legal problems notwithstanding, it does seem to fix some remaining problems with the game, and $10 for a standalone patch that potentially has further Steam support seems reasonable to me.

Moreb

Thank you for the warm welcome.

About WWI Centennial, I was lucky enough to pay full price a few short weeks ago. Can't say I'm too upset because merely removing the slowly flashing provinces was worth the price of admission.

The release was rough but by the time I bought it a patch was put out that was of great help to many.

If anyone is interested, Queeg has made a great counter mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/297090/discussions/0/43099721544975965/

And here work was done to correct some problems with the 1914 scenario, corrected by players after it was pulled from Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/297090/discussions/0/35220315597793819/

mo reb

When dongles fly? - mirth

JasonPratt

Also thanks to Queeg, by the way, for creating a Steam thread to link to the tutorial! O0