Airboy Goes to the Movies

Started by airboy, September 24, 2019, 11:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We did a Northern Crossing transatlantic cruise.  Princess has a lot of movies on demand in your stateroom (around 300).  This is the first ocean cruise we have taken since I retired.  We have been going to a lot of movies in the theater since I retired, so this movie list contains far fewer major box office releases than our normal viewing habits.  We prioritized watching new stuff over rewatching favorites.

That being said, this is what we watched on the trip.

Predator – 1980s with Arnold.  Quality entertainment.  Any movie that has Jesse (the Body) Ventura saying "I ain't got time to bleed" must be good. (airplane)

Happy Death Day 2 U – This is the second in this horror franchise.  Imagine "Groundhog Day" with a slasher.  This is good, but not as good as Happy Death Day. (airplane)

The Addams Family – I've watched this several times and it is always good.  (airplane)

Won't You Be My Neighbor?" which is a biography of Mr. Rogers of the PBS kids' program.  Mr. Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian Minister.  The movie is very well done and heartwarming.  This was the best new movie I watched on the trip.

The Lego Movie #2 was very good and had a parallel between the conflict between siblings and parents intervening and what was happening in Lego world.  This was better than most sequels.

The Secret Lives of Pets 2 was ok, but not as good as the original.  Fun, but don't worry if you miss it.

Men In Black International was low level meh.  Not worth the time to watch.

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse was surprisingly good.  I strongly recommend this movie if you like Spiderman. 

Bohemian Rhapsody is mostly about Freddy Mercury of Queen.  The movie was very good, but he was a typical messed up gay artist.  Worth watching once but I don't plan to watch it a second time.

Detective Pikachu was very bad if you were unfamiliar with the Pokemon world.  Worst movie we saw on the trip.

Tolkien was very well done but sad.  Movie was about he and his three artsy friends during middle and high school.  Tolkien was an orphan very short of money.  The foursome split with two going to Oxford and the other two to Cambridge.  WW1 started and Tolkien was a ground officer who served until 1916 when he was returned home due to illness.  The other two in the infantry died.  Tolkien married his childhood friend & fellow orphan.  Nothing about the Inklings.

Watched Shazam for the second time and it held up very well.  Shame it was a little too intense for a kid's movie which hurt the box office.  With a few changes it could have worked as a kid's movie and as is it is a muddle between an adult and a kid's movie.  Still, this is an excellent movie and well worth watching if you like superhero movies at all.

The Old Boys is a British art film that does Cyrano de Bergerac at a UK private boys' school with a rather ordinary French daughter of a bad French teacher with the advantage of being the only female on the premises.  It was well acted although the story is predictable.  The dumb jock was more likeable than the artsy-nerdy guy who had the Cyrano type role.

Sir Slash

The wife and I saw "It" 2 or, "It: The End" or whatever they're calling it. She hated it, I really liked it. Less Horror and more Si Fi kind of theme with the kids brought back for some flashback moments. VERY long, almost 3 hours, but a fast 3 hours. I also loved Spiderman: In to the Spiderverse, very well done.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

I saw "Spider-man: In to the Spider-verse" with my son. It is a great father/son movie. We both loved it.

I can watch "Predator" anytime. I have it on DVD. Great movie.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Toonces

My wife insisted I take her out to see Downton Abbey.

The payoff later made it just barely worth it; man alive was that movie a painful experience.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on September 24, 2019, 07:04:07 PM
My wife insisted I take her out to see Downton Abbey.

The payoff later made it just barely worth it; man alive was that movie a painful experience.

How about a nice cup of tea to help relive its better moments?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

So... probably no car chases then?  :-[
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw Rambo V: The Ramboing today.  Geriatric Rambo steals the plot from Taken and crosses the border to eviscerate swarthy people.

The last 15 minutes were decent but overall it was pretty disappointing.  I liked the one in Burma a lot better.

Sir Slash

"Yo Adrian! Bring me my walker so'z I can stanz up and kick this guy's ass".  :bd: