Opportunity to meet Medal of Honor recipients

Started by Con, September 16, 2015, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I thought this was pretty cool.  One of the helicopters landed at a school in my area and if I was a kid there I would have been pretty stoked to meet one of these guys s 48 of the 78 living ones are in Boston.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/09/16/seven-blackhawk-helicopters-will-land-boston-common-wednesday/hBdsY4F2LVij8hcfNcjSDK/story.html

http://patch.com/massachusetts/malden/congressional-medal-honor-recipients-touch-down-malden-0

According to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society,Thacker distinguised himself in Vietnam.

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Thacker, Field Artillery, Battery A, distinguished himself while serving as the team leader of an Integrated Observation System collocated with elements of 2 Army of the Republic of Vietnam units at Fire Base 6. A numerically superior North Vietnamese Army force launched a well-planned, dawn attack on the small, isolated, hilltop fire base. Employing rockets, grenades, flame-throwers, and automatic weapons, the enemy forces penetrated the perimeter defenses and engaged the defenders in hand-to-hand combat. Throughout the morning and early afternoon, 1st Lt. Thacker rallied and encouraged the U.S. and Republic of Vietnam soldiers in heroic efforts to repulse the enemy."

According to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, Marm also distinguished himself in Vietnam.

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. As a platoon leader in the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), 1st Lt. Marm demonstrated indomitable courage during a combat operation. His company was moving through the valley to relieve a friendly unit surrounded by an enemy force of estimated regimental size. 1st Lt. Marm led his platoon through withering fire until they were finally forced to take cover. Realizing that his platoon could not hold very long, and seeing four enemy soldiers moving into his position, he moved quickly under heavy fire and annihilated all 4. Then, seeing that his platoon was receiving intense fire from a concealed machine gun, he deliberately exposed himself to draw its fire."