Main Menu

2017 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, February 07, 2017, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 26, 2017, 08:52:41 AM
Tuesday's game finished in 2 hours, 28 minutes
Wednesday's game finished Thursday.

I noticed around 9:00pm it was in the second inning. The night before I think it was near the fifth.  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

acctingman

I didn't notice, but were there any nice shots of Kate in the crowd?   :smitten:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: acctingman on October 26, 2017, 10:44:52 AM
I didn't notice, but were there any nice shots of Kate in the crowd?   :smitten:

there were a few late in the game, when they were showing the celebs. 

there was more of Justin & Jessica b/c they're LA fans and were in the stands instead of in a box
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Quote from: mirth on October 26, 2017, 11:29:00 AM
Yanks dumped Girardi

Yeah, that's just weird. Is there a requirement for them to fire the manager after a certain period of time or the team explodes or something?

MetalDog

I have to believe that a) things went really south behind the scenes or b) Girardi wanted out.  I really just can't imagine it any other way.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Ok, maybe it could be that management wants their own guy in there to shepherd the 'Baby Bombers,' into a very bright future.

bayonetbrant

Girardi has openly stated several times that he'd been missing his family.  Maybe the Yankees were ready to move on, but Girardi gave them the ammow
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Maybe he'll be the next Billy Martin.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Admit it, most of y'all fell asleep before the end of Game 5

The Ringer summed it up pretty well

QuoteWhen it started 25 years ago, Game 5 of the World Series represented an opportunity for Dodgers lefty Kershaw to once and for all stamp out his reputation for underperforming in the playoffs, and through three scoreless innings and one time through the order, it looked like that's exactly what he was going to do. Kershaw entered the fourth inning with a 4–0 lead after his opposite number, Keuchel, had given up three runs in the first and another in the fourth.

Then Kershaw started to lose it. He walked George Springer to lead off the fourth, then retired Alex Bregman on a seven-pitch at-bat. Altuve singled, then Carlos Correa doubled to left to plate Springer and open the book on Kershaw.

Correa's double, all but forgotten in the larger story of the game, had a peculiar effect. The first run of the game, particularly against a pitcher like Kershaw, is an important psychological victory, but Correa's fourth-inning double was more like cracking open the Well to Hell, turning Game 5 from a routine, if somewhat boring, Dodgers victory into a trans-Atlantic convoy to the Island of Not Being Able to Feel Your Extremities.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/10/30/16569314/houston-astros-los-angeles-dodgers-world-series-game-5-madness

bbmike

I didn't fall asleep, I went to bed after it was 0-4 thinking Kershaw was sewing it up.  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on October 30, 2017, 05:15:01 AM
I didn't fall asleep, I went to bed after it was 0-4 thinking Kershaw was sewing it up.  :o

Based on how I feel this morning, I wish I'd gone with your course of action

The Astros fan in me is glad I didn't, but damn today is going to hurt.

MetalDog

^ Ditto.  Just around 4 hours of sleep.  But it was an awesome game!  Go Astros!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on October 30, 2017, 06:02:23 AM
^ Ditto.  Just around 4 hours of sleep.  But it was an awesome game!  Go Astros!

no kidding.  there is a nap in my future today

I guess one of those good news/bad news things - got time to take a nap, but it's b/c I don't have a job to head off to

Sir Slash

I stayed up to about 1am, the eighth inning wasn't even over yet. What time did it finally end? Great game though and great series too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.