Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

OK guys & gals.  My MG anniversary coupon is coming up ~8/1 (tho I get at least 2 other emails from MG/Slitherine at different times of the year telling me about my coupon ???) so I'm going to be watching this thread.  Just letting you know it'll be me lurking over your shoulders.  I suspect it may be interesting, especially after this thread.  Now...carry on.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on June 04, 2020, 11:19:17 AM
W8: no sorry, I need it and I'm busy.

LOL.  Ok I'll just borrow my wife's wallet then!  I'm sure she won't mind. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Ohhh. Good idea.  O0  Where does your wife keep her wallet?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Just rolled up a planet that has 7-meter long advanced vertebrate super-crabs with massive jaws, and also some winged "maxilobsters."  According to the planet's history, there used to be lizard-footed "pseudo-shrimp" which went extinct 321 million years ago.  Did I mention this planet also evolved "dilobsters" that have lungs and straight feet!?!  I think I'll have to follow Chef's advice from Apocalypse Now - "Never get out of the boat!"  :hide:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

Anybody else get this error message when trying to use the coupon code? Don't know why as I have not purchased anything?

"Order creation failure due to problematic input.. Coupon has exceeded maximum use limit ."

GroggyGrognard

I just picked it up for $22 bucks. I had a 44% discount with my Matrix Games/Slitherine Anniversary coupon.

Not too shabby.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Yskonyn

Quote from: Tanaka on June 04, 2020, 10:58:35 PM
Anybody else get this error message when trying to use the coupon code? Don't know why as I have not purchased anything?

"Order creation failure due to problematic input.. Coupon has exceeded maximum use limit ."

The anniversary coupon is only valid for a limited amount of time. Any chance it ran out?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

HoodedHorseJoe

Which coupon code are you using?
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Martok

Explorminate has done a deep dive on the game, with a full review still to come (I believe).  Sounds like they really like it. 

https://explorminate.co/what-to-expect-shadow-empire/

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 04, 2020, 09:54:12 PM

Haha!  Give me $39.99 and I'll tell you.   :)

The Wargamer20 code worked for me.  Boy this game is pretty cool.  There is a lot to mull over.  I think I spent about 60 minutes last night on turn one alone.  But I don't get the sense of being overwhelmed with too much information.  The key seems to be learning the menu system and UI.  Once you get familiar with those two items you'll figure the game out for yourself without the aid of the manual.  I'm still planning on watching LPs on YouTube just to make sure I didn't miss anything though.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

devoncop

Quote from: W8taminute on June 05, 2020, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 04, 2020, 09:54:12 PM

Haha!  Give me $39.99 and I'll tell you.   :)

The Wargamer20 code worked for me.  Boy this game is pretty cool.  There is a lot to mull over.  I think I spent about 60 minutes last night on turn one alone.  But I don't get the sense of being overwhelmed with too much information.  The key seems to be learning the menu system and UI.  Once you get familiar with those two items you'll figure the game out for yourself without the aid of the manual.  I'm still planning on watching LPs on YouTube just to make sure I didn't miss anything though.

Agree completely.

I am usually a "normal difficulty" type guy other than FoG2 when I am a bit better.

This game on beginner is fine for me for now :)

The AI is suitably aggressive without piling on but you really do need to cover all sides of your capital from attempted incursions by the non aligned and minor factions at the beginning,ethics alone any critters !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sir Slash

Lets have some pics. Or maybe a Grog-Video or two.  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tanaka

Quote from: WargamerJoe on June 05, 2020, 03:42:51 AM

Which coupon code are you using?

Using the Wargamer code. For some reason the system thinks I already used the code to purchase but I have not.

airboy

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on June 05, 2020, 12:49:00 AM
I just picked it up for $22 bucks. I had a 44% discount with my Matrix Games/Slitherine Anniversary coupon.

Not too shabby.

Groggy

Tell us what you think of the game after you play it 6+ hours or so.   :)

-budd-

Quote from: airboy on June 05, 2020, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: GroggyGrognard on June 05, 2020, 12:49:00 AM

Not too shabby.

Groggy

Tell us what you think of the game after you play it 6+ hours or so.   :)

Not sure 6+ hours is enough, spent almost an hour looking around at everything on turn 1.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.