The Grogheads Hot Tub Time Machine

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2020, 06:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Quote from: ComradeP on June 02, 2020, 03:53:48 AM
Though I like the game, quite a bit actually, the limitations of the campaign in particular slap you in the face after a while: you can equip units with different firearms and strength carries over to a certain extent, but you end up killing the same enemy units over and over as losses are not dynamic. It's fun to play, but the AI isn't particularly clever and it's usually not that difficult to rout the AI army completely.
What side do you usually take? I always play with the Confederacy. Playing as the Union is way too easy. Anyway, it's a unique game with great artwork and mood nobody has ever reproduced...

ComradeP

QuoteWhat side do you usually take? I always play with the Confederacy. Playing as the Union is way too easy. Anyway, it's a unique game with great artwork and mood nobody has ever reproduced...

I usually play as the Confederacy as well. Though Union units are enormous later in the game compared to what you're using, they can't deal with sustained fire or assaults. Neither can your units, of course, but the AI isn't particularly good at focussing fire.

The hardest part of the Confederate campaign is one mission where the Union suddenly has a stupendous amount of artillery. A bit vague, but I forgot which battle that was.

I agree that the artwork and mood are great. The re-enactor videos are also not bad, but I turn them off after a battle.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Father Ted

I've found two games that I had (and that I played the shit out of) on my first PC that I can play now.  The nostalgia was strong in these...First up,  Speedball2.  This lasted only one match - the controls were just too clunky.  Next: Simcity 2000.  Now this still plays well, and the graphics and sound are as appealing as they were back then.  However...again the controls are an issue compared to what I've grown used to in recent years.  I now have Cities:Skylines, which scratches the same itch (gameplay essentially identical), but is just that much more accessible, so I won't go back to SC2000.

My next experiment may be Doom 2 - my first FPS...

Oche

All from Microprose: Railroad tycoon, Covert Action and Darklands.

Philippe

If you like Darklands, you'll feel at home in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Toonces

Darklands was one of the first games I thought of for this thread.

Now, I've only played it a bit, but man alive it seems like a game you could lose yourself in for a lifetime.  It's kind of like Morrowind in that sense, except that it has a completely dynamic world every new game.

I can't remember the thread anymore (probably titled "Darklands") but I seem to remember Airboy or someone saying that the only way to really win at it is to learn the alchemy part of the game, which I always suck at.

Anyway, Darklands has like a 150 page manual.  Just crazy.  So much game.  The last time I played it, I remember the graphics not being so much of a problem.  More of a problem is that game is just unforgivably hard.

Unforgivably...I've never used that word before; I had to use auto-correct for it.  Unforgivably...what a harsh looking work, something about that v, and bly all together hurts my word aesthetics.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Starflight.....I miss Starflight. 

Its crowdfunding failure on the remake was truly depressing.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Oche

Quote from: Philippe on June 04, 2020, 08:50:12 PM

Thx, i'll check it out.
Quote from: Toonces on June 04, 2020, 09:00:16 PM

Now, I've only played it a bit, but man alive it seems like a game you could lose yourself in for a lifetime.  It's kind of like Morrowind in that sense, except that it has a completely dynamic world every new game.

I can't remember the thread anymore (probably titled "Darklands") but I seem to remember Airboy or someone saying that the only way to really win at it is to learn the alchemy part of the game, which I always suck at.

Anyway, Darklands has like a 150 page manual.  Just crazy.  So much game.  The last time I played it, I remember the graphics not being so much of a problem.  More of a problem is that game is just unforgivably hard.

Unforgivably...I've never used that word before; I had to use auto-correct for it.  Unforgivably...what a harsh looking work, something about that v, and bly all together hurts my word aesthetics.

Like in other jewels from microprose, I think i've grown to like the manual more than game itself. RIP Arnold Hendrick from Microprose.

jamus34

Quote from: Oche on June 05, 2020, 06:42:30 AM
Quote from: Philippe on June 04, 2020, 08:50:12 PM

Thx, i'll check it out.
Quote from: Toonces on June 04, 2020, 09:00:16 PM

Like in other jewels from microprose, I think i've grown to like the manual more than game itself. RIP Arnold Hendrick from Microprose.

The game was a mess but the manual for Knights of Legend by Origin was also awesome.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

Knights of Legend - just the title brings me back to my local software shop, circa 1987. I can still smell it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

KyzBP

Is the original X COM too "modern" for this thread?  My 19 year old daughter plays it, loves it, and prefers it to any of the modern iterations of the game.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: KyzBP on June 05, 2020, 08:17:20 AM
Is the original X COM too "modern" for this thread?  My 19 year old daughter plays it, loves it, and prefers it to any of the modern iterations of the game.

Not too modern at all. It is one of the greatest games ever made. I still play it too and prefer it to any of its successors.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Probably one of the best WWII naval surface battle simulators was "Action Stations!". The game was developed by an active duty naval officer. It was significant because it accurately calculated ballistics and trajectory for each shot.

I had an old 80286 that I ran it on. The poor thing chugged along while processing each shot. I could get a cup of coffee or take a mini-nap between turns.

Minimal graphics, as ugly as sin, but possibly the most accurate WWII naval surface game ever.

I played it until I changed computers about 3 years ago.

Just have to reinstall it again.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

I liked Action Stations too. My Amiga could barely handle it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

COVERT ACTION , nice to hear that one mentioned. Loved that game.

SEAL TEAM by EA was played by me for many years afterwards on  DosBox.

RED BARON is still mighty fine and can be purchased on GOG.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!