Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK, no, I don't have any new news regarding the game.

But we're all eager to see it, and I ran across some history regarding the period (roughly) that might be of interest to us. Rather than posting it in the history section, where it's likely to receive fewer eyeballs, I figured I'd put it here.

A 750 year old city founded by Ghengis Khan has been unearthed.

QuoteThe city's name was Ukek and it was founded just a few decades after Genghis Khan died in 1227. After the great conqueror's death his empire split apart and his grandson Batu Khan, who lived from 1205 to 1255, founded the Golden Horde (also called the Kipchak Khanate).The Golden Horde kingdom stretched from Eastern Europe to Central Asia and controlled many of the Silk Road trade routes that connected China to Medieval Europe.

This city of Ukek was built close to the khan's summer residence along the Volga River, something which helped it become prosperous. The name "Golden Horde" comes from the golden tent from which the khan was said to rule. [See Photos of the Medieval 'Golden Horde' City and Artifacts]

source: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/27/ancient-city-ruled-by-genghis-khan-heirs-revealed/?intcmp=features

Here are some images of artifacts found there: http://www.livescience.com/48431-photos-ancient-golden-horde-city-revealed.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

Quote from: LongBlade on October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM
Here are some images of artifacts found there: http://www.livescience.com/48431-photos-ancient-golden-horde-city-revealed.html

Archaeologist in bikini!  That should spark interest in this group.

Gusington

Yeah but she's flatter.than the steppes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

But I bet she could ride you like a Mongol. :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

I admit it. I wasn't going to go read the article just to see a picture of some pottery sherds. I clicked the link as soon as I got to "archeologist in bikini."

I am now forced to confess that my interest in history is not as strong as my interest in archeologist bewbs. I'm going to tell myself I only went to look because she was an archeologist and not an actress.  ;)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

Back in 2009, my wife and I were in Isreal. We toured the ruins of Scythiopolis, a Roman era city settled by Scythians serving in the Roman army. At one time ten thousand people lived there. Later it was destroyed in an earthquake and abandoned until rediscovered in the 1950's. The city had been completely covered by earth and trees and the ruins stretched for blocks with homes, temples, baths, and the forum still with marble floors and tile mosaics on the walls. It was like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. But without Nazis'
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

no nazis, no Indiana Jones.  those are the rules.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2014, 06:10:12 PM
Yeah but she's flatter.than the steppes.

You, sir, are a boob snob.

They *all* deserve love and attention.

MetalDog

As long as you can find them ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

em2nought

Quote from: jomni on October 27, 2014, 06:01:52 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Archaeologist in bikini!  That should spark interest in this group.

She has a bit of a Michelle Jenneke look to her http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfkwW4GgAiU in my mind anyway. LOL
Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

Chicks never dig short guys so it is my duty to be a bewb snob. What's right is right.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I never minded them small, as long as you can tell what they are when you get to them. And please, no piercings. At either end.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 07:56:27 AM
Chicks never dig short guys so it is my duty to be a bewb snob. What's right is right.

Attila was supposedly rather short and rather homely.  This aspect of his nature may have been somewhat exaggerated.  I was just reading the first blog about the game and it seems to rehash every last cliché in the history of the world.  You just have to wonder about what absurd versions of history find their ways into imaginary gamer's brains:  Tiger tanks, blah, blah blah, decadent empire blahblah blah and it seems to have been that way for decades.

Here's some of the blog:

Attila is not fair. It is not reasonable. There are no pretty pitched battles against the Hunnic Empire. Attila is coming, and he will reach you, and you will have to deal with him. Yet the horde may seem endless, and certainly when possible they will push on you and strain you to your very limits. The real question is how will you survive against the Hunnic multitudes? Or indeed, how long?
Well, there are many ways you may survive against Attila in the game, and many new and old gameplay features besides to aid you in your struggle, in ways both familiar to staunch Total War players, yet also in ways that may surprise even the most stalwart of you.

You could just take the Sangiban the Alan route and go right through the middle of the horde (which at that time was mostly rather chewed up Germanic levies).  That's a surprise.

Anyway, I hope the game is better than the mindless blather of the blogging about the game:

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2014/10/15/total-war-attila-developer-blog-1/

sandman2575

Quote from: MengJiao on October 29, 2014, 10:07:40 AM
Attila is not fair. It is not reasonable. There are no pretty pitched battles against the Hunnic Empire. Attila is coming, and he will reach you, and you will have to deal with him. Yet the horde may seem endless, and certainly when possible they will push on you and strain you to your very limits. The real question is how will you survive against the Hunnic multitudes? Or indeed, how long?

Wow, this sounds pretty cool and even pretty innovative. I like that CA is announcing off the bat:  this game isn't like previous expansions.  Attila isn't just Hannibal without the elephants.  The game is meant to be unbalanced, so all you out there who immediately cry "game balance is borked!!!", go away.

Remains to be seen if this means little beyond "Hun spam coming your way" -- but I'm definitely intrigued now.

LongBlade

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 29, 2014, 10:27:25 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 29, 2014, 10:07:40 AM

Wow, this sounds pretty cool and even pretty innovative. I like that CA is announcing off the bat:  this game isn't like previous expansions.  Attila isn't just Hannibal without the elephants.  The game is meant to be unbalanced, so all you out there who immediately cry "game balance is borked!!!", go away.

Remains to be seen if this means little beyond "Hun spam coming your way" -- but I'm definitely intrigued now.

My research into this era is rather limited. I've read one book on the subject.

*If* my reading is accurate there really wasn't much that could be done to stop the hordes from the steppes.

Geography was the principle limiting factor. About the time the Huns rolled into (what is now Germany and then the Rhein) the geography shifted and no longer favored mounted archers. So their conquests stopped.

The classic western European answer to the hordes was to sally forth a bunch of heavily armored knights. These would typically charge, whereupon the horde would scatter. The knights would impact nothing and the horde would pepper them with arrows. Sometimes the knights chased the horde back to the steppes. The horde would gleefully retreat until the knights were well out in the open and then they would ride circles around them peppering them with arrows until no one was left alive.

Ultimately the only thing which saved the West from continued periodic assimilation was gunpowder. After the gunpowder age really took hold the incursions from the east ceased.

Frankly, I'm not sure what else the devs are going to do with this. Maybe they'll blow out the espionage/sabotage aspect of the game. But typically a city was given noticed to surrender or be burned to the ground - and those were the two only options.

Anyone else have a better/different understanding of history?