Falcon Northwest vs. Alienware vs. NewEgg

Started by Gusington, November 19, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^If not, you can most likely get an adapter AB.

Will do Millipede. It may a few weeks at least until I get delivery depending on components.

Not sure if JH will spring for 'speedy delivery,' but I am patient and can wait that long after I finally order.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Memory is a little low on this and it has an i7, but look at that price! Any opinions on this one?

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali454/p/N82E16883360038?Item=N82E16883360038

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

What brand is the AIO cooling?
I wouldn't skimp on quality on such an important part.

The picture looks like it might be a de-branded NZXT kit?

Another thing to keep in mind: all the RGB stuff needs to have a controller active. These drivers are known to be taking up CPU cycles at a constant rate.
For example, Asus Aura takes 3% of my CPU power at all times. Adding to that is that there is no unified software to drive all your RGB stuff from different brands so you'll end up with each brand having its own control panel app. If we're talking about wanting peak performance you should consider leaving the lightshow off.
I did on mine and it also got rid of microstutter in a few games. Just a FYI.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Didn't even notice the light show - none of my previous machines had anything ridiculous like that. But the rest of the machine seems solid and inexpensive for the build. No brand listed for the cooling as far as I can tell.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2020, 08:59:46 AM
Didn't even notice the light show - none of my previous machines had anything ridiculous like that. But the rest of the machine seems solid and inexpensive for the build. No brand listed for the cooling as far as I can tell.

I'm not a fan of that rig. You can do much better.

For starters, its an i7 with 8 cores...I wouldn't even think about a new rig with a last generation CPU. It's also light on RAM at only 16GB and also light on storage at only 1TB. Weren't you saying your budget was between $3,000 and $4,000? It's $1900 and not even on sale. For just a few hundred bucks more you can get a much more capable machine.

Look at these...not perfect, but sort of in that $1899 price range and much more capable in my view...there are many in the $2,000 to $2,400 price range that far exceed the value of the system you linked.

https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-000B-001G1
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali446/p/N82E16883360030?&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali460/p/N82E16883360045?&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/hp-omen-30l/p/3D5-0005-00BR4
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Yep 3-4k. I will check those links out, thanks. And yeah I did think it was light on the RAM/storage. Still leaning towards a CLX machine on Black Friday.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

That above list from JH is gold. One of those machines was the same ABS Gladiator I posted above, but upgraded. Never heard of that company though. Seen HP Omen machines pop up on my searches too and the one above that JH posted is a lot of machine for the money - anyone have an HP model? My work laptop is an HP and is quite the workhorse but I have not used an HP for gaming.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2020, 11:34:03 AM
That above list from JH is gold. One of those machines was the same ABS Gladiator I posted above, but upgraded. Never heard of that company though. Seen HP Omen machines pop up on my searches too and the one above that JH posted is a lot of machine for the money - anyone have an HP model? My work laptop is an HP and is quite the workhorse but I have not used an HP for gaming.

I've had two ABS systems and never had any issues. I used to get HP rigs long ago, but stopped when more competitive brands started appearing. I see the Omen line around a lot, but have had no first hand experience. They seem to be popular.

The list I posted was really just the tip of the iceberg. There are alot with slightly different configs. You just need to decide how much you want to spend, and what is most important to you based on the type of gaming you'll be doing. Once you figure out which components you must have in the rig, it will really help narrow your search. For instance, if you decide you want an i9, you just punch that into the filter on Newegg's site and it will trim the list down making your decision and life much easier.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Seems like every day I have a different favorite. Check out this bad mofo:

https://smile.amazon.com/30L-Desktop-GeForce-Computer-Made_by_HP/dp/B08D4WCSRZ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=HP+Omen+desktop+rtx+3070&qid=1606149503&s=electronics&sr=1-4

And the price is ridiculous. Only thing is I would have to wait until 1/1. Who knows what kind of discount will be available on Black Friday, too.

I agree with you about the tip of the iceberg. I have fallen down the new rig rabbit hole. At least I have narrowed it down to NOT Alienware and NOT Falcon NW, so this thread has served it's purpose.

Perhaps when I am retired I can splurge on a boutique machine from Falcon NW. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture though, especially when I know I can get a reliable system for literally 1000 less or more. Plus now I can push some more cash towards a bitchin' monitor.

Forgot to mention: my gaming ranges from old school RTS and wargames like Panzer Corps to Assassin's Creed and Metro Exodus. In this new rig I want to play those latter games maxed out. So that's my benchmark.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

So let's set a baseline for you.

CPU: i9 or Ryzen 9 3rd Gen
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: RTX 3000 series

This means, for the most part, you have storage to play around with and maybe power supply. That will give you the opportunity to control pricing by about $500+ depending upon how much or little you want to live with.

There are also three options in the RTX 3000 series that can also impact cost. Again, if you're willing to spend up to $3,000+, I see no reason why you shouldn't at the very least go with a 3080. Most humans really do not "need" a 3090...but for those of us beasts who sim in VR, its looking like a wise investment.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^That's where I'm at, gonna try to squeeze in 64 MB of memory and I know I can get an RTX 3000 with a pre-built machine - most likely an RTX 3070, because going the next step up to a 3080 or 3090 raises the price by at least 600.00.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2020, 12:35:16 PM
^That's where I'm at, gonna try to squeeze in 64 MB of memory and I know I can get an RTX 3000 with a pre-built machine - most likely an RTX 3070, because going the next step up to a 3080 or 3090 raises the price by at least 600.00.

I honestly don't see a need for 64GB, but if the money isn't an issue, have at it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

My current rig has 16GB and I got that in 2015 to 'future-proof' it. The machine is running great so I wanted to apply the same thing here.

A 3TB HDD would also be great (upgraded from a current 2TB HDD) along with a TB SSD (upgraded from 128GB).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Someone should write this this thread up as a (very geeky, admittedly) soap opera.  What will Gus plump for?  Will he be convinced by the brusque economics of JH and Yskonyn or be swayed by the more dulcet arguments of Jason and trek?  Tune in to find out after this word from our sponsors...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on November 23, 2020, 05:49:53 PM
Someone should write this this thread up as a (very geeky, admittedly) soap opera.  What will Gus plump for?  Will he be convinced by the brusque economics of JH and Yskonyn or be swayed by the more dulcet arguments of Jason and trek?  Tune in to find out after this word from our sponsors...

I don't find my comments to be brusque, at all. I think they are very well-reasoned, supported by logic and polite.  For that matter, I don't find the arguments of Pratt and trek to be particularly dulcet. Although, I'll admit to having had to look up that word. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog