Main Menu

Critter R.I.P.

Started by Bison, May 13, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Thanks everyone!  I've got your guys' info for the card; much appreciated. 

I'll be leaving as soon as I get off work here (in half an hour), after which I'll be largely incommunicado from now til Sunday night.  Have a great weekend everyone! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

^Have a safe trip my friend!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Thanks for doing this Martok.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Safe trip and thanks for doing this!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Have a safe drive Martok.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Have a safe trip, Martok. And thanks for doing this.

Martok

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone! 

Well I'm back -- so to speak.  I'm now in La Crosse, WI (got in last night around 10:00), getting ready to go visit my grandmother and attend the Syttende Mai festivities across the river in Spring Grove.  Before I go, though, here's a quick report on my trip to St. Louis for the funeral: 

Ray's memorial service went well (if that can be said for such an event).  It was held at the funeral home, and was a fairly intimate gathering; I'd guess somewhere around 50 people were there, mostly family (I believe).  Appropriately, he was being buried with his copy of Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris.  I had to grin when I saw that! 

The Patriot Guard riders were there in full force as well (for those who didn't know, critter served in the Navy).  I'd never seen them in person before, and they presented a most impressive -- and moving -- sight.  I thanked them for their service, having promised myself I would do so should I ever have the opportunity. 

Ray's ex-wife Linda (with whom he'd remained on good terms) found me shortly before the service began; she greeted me warmly, especially when I explained what I was doing there and how I knew Ray.  She delightedly introduced me to his friend Greg, with whom he'd been playing wargames for the better part of 30 years.  (We talked shop a little bit, despite his being clearly out of my league -- this guy's experience with the genre was orders of magnitude beyond my own -- and also got to learn a little bit more about critter in the process.)  He was an incredibly nice guy, and we sat together during the service. 

I also spoke with Ray's fiance Debbie afterwards, and she too was very glad to see me after I explained how I knew him.  (In addition, I thanked her for informing us about his passing.)  I told her and Linda about the Grogheads, Wargamer, and Matrix sites (I'd included the web addresses for all three in the card), and they said they would be sure to check out the threads dedicated to him.  They seemed very touched by the fact that so many people whom they'd never even met were affected by Ray's death, and I made sure to let them know that they had our full sympathy and well-wishes. 

Anyway, that's about all I got for now.  I'm off to see my grandmother and stuff my face with fine Norwegian cuisine.  Later guys! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^Thanks again Martok. And get some good WWI stories from Granny this time!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Martok, it sounds like you touched the hearts of critters family and friends in a good way.  Shame it had to be under these circumstances but you did a good thing.  Thanks for representing us there. 

I grinned when you mentioned he was buried with his favorite wargame. 

Peace.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bayonetbrant

Martok - you've done the family proud.  And anyone who doesn't think we're a family doesn't know what a family is.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

That was a really nice gesture on your part.  Thanks for taking the time to represent the community.

MikeGER

Quote from: Bison on May 19, 2012, 09:44:28 PM
That was a really nice gesture on your part.  Thanks for taking the time to represent the community.
+1
(when im longing for just the right English words ...Bison got them ) 

Shelldrake

Quote from: Bison on May 19, 2012, 09:44:28 PM

+1
I am looking forward to those WWI stories!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell