Main Menu

Critter R.I.P.

Started by Bison, May 13, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Martok,
Just wanted to echo the sentiments here as well. Critter's family now knows that they are not alone in missing him. Most of us will probably pass away unnoticed by all but a few friends and family. Critter leaves a living memory behind that networks across several continents. Where ever he may be, Valhalla, Heaven, etc ( joining his daughter who died too young)  he can look out and see how many people he touched in some way. Thank you for helping make it happen.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I can't say any better what has already been said, so I will just add my thanks.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Thanks again, Martok. Fine work.

Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 19, 2012, 09:35:19 PM
Martok - you've done the family proud.  And anyone who doesn't think we're a family doesn't know what a family is.

Amen!
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Thanks, Martok. We appreciate it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

I'm embarrassed to even say "you're welcome" -- I'd originally done this for my own reasons, and was genuinely happy to do it -- but you're welcome.  :) 

It did feel good to be representing the community at Ray's memorial service.  I think Debbie and Linda (and hopefully, his entire family) will derive some comfort knowing he's missed by so many of us. 

Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2012, 11:24:42 AM
^Thanks again Martok. And get some good WWI stories from Granny this time!
Quote from: Shelldrake on May 20, 2012, 07:20:01 AM
I am looking forward to those WWI stories!
I'll start another thread about that when I get a chance (hopefully tonight). 

However, I'll warn you:  It's not going to be much.  As I've said before, my grandmother was only a little girl during the war, and she doesn't remember much at this point. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

My oldest son and I recently had a somewhat drunken discussion (Jack Daniel shots and Shiner Beer in a college bar within walking distance of his house) during which the subject of what his Mom and I want done when that time comes. He wasn't being morbid, his best friend's dad was my age and just passed away of a heart attack, so it was kinda natural for that to cross his mind.

Among other things that I told him (like don't spend a dime you don't have to!), I asked him to log onto my account here with the news, but also that in lieu of traditional weepy stuff, I wouldn't be in the least offended if an Irish wake broke out with shots, beer and the sound of laughter. There are certainly worse ways to be serenaded off into the afterlife than hearing the laughter of friends and loved ones on your way.

My point? Simply this. Free booze when I pass. That's one way to guarantee a good turn out   ;)

GDS_Starfury

Im just catching up with a lot of things that I have usually paid a lot more attention to in the past.
this turn of life caught me completely off guard.

Good journeys my friend, you shall be missed.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Shelldrake

Let's hope that we don't lose anyone else for a long, long time.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

acheatham

i have been looking everywhere for you guys, wanted to say thank you martok i wasnt able to meet you when you were there, at least not properly introduced sorry but thank you for the card with everybodys name in it.  let me introduce myself i'm amanda cheatham his oldest daughter.  and i was a big daddy's girl which meant i sat half the time and watched dad post to these forums or play the war games(i can play everything but stratigic wargames).  i always looked up to my dad and was very proud the day i found out(which was after the day of service) that there was a globel network who is missing him almost as much as me.  again thank you and if you want to talk or ask questions im ok with that.

sincerly
amanda cheatham

acheatham

and btw for your children if nothing else PLEASE i beg of you make a living will or at least let it be known what ur finial wishes are thankfully i knew dads and a veg state is not what he wanted due to us losing my sister in 2003 his mom in 2008 now him.  thank you

Centurion40

Amanda, please accept my deepest condolences.

We all enjoyed your dad's virtual company and we all miss his presence.

I've also lost my father unexpectedly (it will be 6 years this coming December).  I want you to know that missing Dad (even at Father's Day) does get easier over time.  Keep breathing and eventually things do get better.

Centurion40

Quote from: acheatham on June 18, 2012, 07:48:48 AM
and btw for your children if nothing else PLEASE i beg of you make a living will or at least let it be known what ur finial wishes are thankfully i knew dads and a veg state is not what he wanted due to us losing my sister in 2003 his mom in 2008 now him.  thank you

Good advice.

acheatham

thank you and he enjoyed you'll company just as much im a daddy's girl looked up to him hope i did him proud with funeral arrangements just had military and wargames on mind just as dad would have.  im just now able to eat and sleep a little, when we lost my sister in 2003 i watched my parents go threw that, after that i learned sometimes time has to have time.  thank you very much.  everything you guys have done for him (forum wise and other) has really been helping me through this so thank you.

LongBlade

Hi Amanda,

I didn't know your father well, but I truly enjoyed his company. We miss him. I'm sorry for your loss but cheered by your story of enjoying gaming with him.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.