Mystery Moon Crash

Started by Con, July 01, 2022, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

QuoteNASA said a rocket of unknown national origin that crashed into the moon earlier this year produced a double crater on the surface, an unexpected feat.

The agency's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which collects data on the moon, spotted two craters after the "mystery rocket body" collided with the moon on March 4, NASA said recently.

It created an eastern crater about 19.5 yards in diameter and a western crater about 17.5 yards in diameter.

The agency said the double crater might indicate that the rocket had a large mass on each end of it. A rocket that has used up its fuel usually will just have its mass on the end with the motor, with the other side being an empty fuel tank.

The rocket's origin is uncertain, but the double crater that it produced might reveal its identity, according to the release.

A rocket body hitting the moon has not created a double crater before, the release states.

The Houston Chronicle reported Thursday that no space-exploring country has claimed the rocket as their own so far.

Let me be the first to say it

Gusington

Does Burkina Faso have a space program yet?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Unless I'm over estimating real world capabilities surely all launch sites are under satellite surveillance- can the powers that be not synchronise a launch to a crash a couple of days later - or however long it takes to get there

GDS_Starfury

or an X-37 practicing precision strikes.  ::)
the one thats up now is set to break the longest mission record of 780 days in space.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

The Andorran Space Admin. is VERY underestimated. Just saying.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

The speculation I've heard is that it's either the Bear or the Red Dragon that was doing something up there.  I've also heard rumors of activity taking place on the dark side of the moon beyond prying eyes.

Hunter/killer satellites?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Quote from: W8taminute on July 01, 2022, 12:58:25 PM
I've also heard rumors of activity taking place on the dark side of the moon beyond prying eyes.

The nerd in me can't resist : despite the popularity of the phrase "dark side of the Moon," there is no such thing.  There is, however, a far side.  :nerd:

https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/dark-side-of-the-moon-blog/
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7478976/sorry-there-is-no-dark-side-of-the-moon/
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/never-see-far-side-moon

steve58

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 01, 2022, 02:52:15 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 01, 2022, 12:58:25 PM
I've also heard rumors of activity taking place on the dark side of the moon beyond prying eyes.

The nerd in me can't resist : despite the popularity of the phrase "dark side of the Moon," there is no such thing.  There is, however, a far side.  :nerd:

https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/dark-side-of-the-moon-blog/
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7478976/sorry-there-is-no-dark-side-of-the-moon/
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/never-see-far-side-moon

Well of course there is.  Pink Floyd sang so...  \m/  One of my most favorite albums of all time.

...or it could be this guy (OK, OK, I know he's not on the far side.  Still liked the movie tho O0):

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

This thread is beginning to freak me out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

More alcohol equals less Freak. My Grand-Dad used to tell me that while he was making moonshine in the radiator of his 1927 Ford. When he died, we buried him in that car in his backyard. Good times.  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^That actually sounds...believable

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/impact-crater-farside-moon/

A recent lunar science mystery has provided an interesting result. After a months-long search, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter mission team recently found a pair of new craters on the lunar farside, formed when an object hit the Moon on March 4, 2022. Observers had spotted the object on its moonbound trajectory, though the impact itself was of course out of Earth's line of sight.

Exactly what the impactor was made for an intriguing tale. Initial calculations suggested it was the upper stage booster of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, which launched the Deep Space Climate Observatory mission. But observers later refined the trajectory and identified the object as a Long March 3C upper stage from China's Chang'e 5 T1 mission. Chang'e 5 T1 flew past the Moon in late 2014 to demonstrate capsule reentry ahead of the full Chang'e 5 lunar-sample return. To date, however, China has not confirmed that the object was related to the Chang'e 5 T1 mission.

The impactor was projected to hit the lunar surface around 7:26 a.m. EST / 12:26 UT on March 4th, near the large crater Hertzsprung on the lunar farside. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) team found the impact site about 8 kilometers (5 miles) from the expected impact site. This slight shift wasn't unexpected, as solar-wind pressure can gently push on the empty rocket booster — basically a hollow cylinder — and alter its trajectory prior to impact.

Mystery gone.

W8taminute

I'm not so sure the mystery is gone.  The article mentions that the impact location was a bit off from where they calculated it should have been but the article does not provide a clear explanation on how the impact caused a double crater.

In any case I do believe that a manmade object caused the craters, I just haven't found any explanation on exactly how the two craters were formed.  I willing to also bet that who ever was responsible for this doesn't even know exactly how two craters were formed. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

One possibility (most likely) is that the craters were formed by a piece of debris that had two large masses at each end.

Typically, the empty fuel shell of a rocket means that the mass is only concentrated in the rocket motor but the double crater probably indicates that the fuel on the rocket had not been completely spent.