2016 Grogheads Fantasy Baseball

Started by Bison, March 14, 2016, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

Quote from: OJsDad on April 05, 2016, 05:00:57 PM
So, I was looking at the match between Brand and I, and I noticed that he had more players than I do.  I also notice a message that says I've used 0 of my 4 player adds for the week.  So I click on add player, find one that I want, but I'm being forced to drop a player first.  What am I missing.

He may have dropped a player who got points for him. They will show up in the match up screen.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Somehow I ended up w/ A-Rod, who is only available as a "util" guy - is that b/c he's mostly a DH these days?  I'm not going to be able to play him at 3B at all?  Seems like a waste to be carrying him if the only place I can put him is the util slot.  I'd never see someone with util as his designated position before this season.

Quote from: MetalDog on April 05, 2016, 07:02:48 PMI wish you had said something Brant.  Me or Bison could have fixed it properly.  I'll give him back if you'd like.
Well, he was the backup catcher / backup 1B that I had.  I don't like carrying 2 pure catchers b/c it seems a waste of a roster spot, but if I can get someone who is a C/x then I can bounce him around as needed.  Now I'm carrying multiple 1Bs, but only 1 C b/c there isn't another worthwhile one out there.

Secondary question - are the roster sizes smaller this year?  Seems like I was carrying more dudes last year.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I saw A-Rod's Util designation.  And I would say that yes, he can only be used in the Utility spot.  As for roster size, same as it ever was.  I keep trying to convince Bison of a few more spots, but, he likes it pared down.  As soon as you drop someone, I'll transfer Lucroy to you.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

OK, dropped A-Rod.  Thanks for fixing.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

The roster slots are prescriptive in that you have 8 hitter slots designated by position plus the 1 utility slot to compensate for the DH rule.  The pitching slots are 2 SP and 2 RP.  Everyone has 6 bench slots that can be used for backups of any position including pitching.  Additional slots are allocated, but designated for DL players so you can keep two players listed on the DL but still field a full 19 man roster with short term replacements.  I don't expand the roster for basically two reasons.  1. 10 teams with 19 players is a total of 190 players assigned to teams, so there is a limited talent pool that would help much beyond a temporary patch in the undrafted players.  Expanding rosters would only accentuate this issue and be incredibly difficult on a manager who suffers a number of DL players.  2. The limit forces the manager to make some decisions.  For example, do I keep 6 outfielders or do I drop one or two for position flexibility to account for scheduling needs at the expense of potentially more offensive output since you could play 4 outfielders.  Outfielders by far and away account for the majority of "position" players in generating stats because 1/3 of all everyday players are outfielders.

The A Rod is odd.  The positions of players are set by Yahoo.  I'm not sure why he is restricted to UTL only.  It's not something I recall seeing before hand, so it's something I'd need to look into as to why the UTL position is given to a player.  As MD said though we can revert the drop if you want it reverted.  No issues there.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 05, 2016, 08:34:09 PM

Looks like you need to Drop A-Rod completely, not just to your Bench.

MetalDog

Major League Baseball has 25 man rosters.  It wouldn't kill you to add one or two more spots.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on April 05, 2016, 08:57:25 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 05, 2016, 08:34:09 PM

Looks like you need to Drop A-Rod completely, not just to your Bench.

He might be cued to drop, but it won't be active until tomorrow.  I've seen that happen before where I drop a player but he goes on waivers or takes 24 for yahoo to update the information.  I think it has something to do with the time of the drop and ongoing games.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on April 05, 2016, 08:59:14 PM
Major League Baseball has 25 man rosters.  It wouldn't kill you to add one or two more spots.

That's a horrible argument since most of the additional players are bullpen pitchers not position players.  So what's the utility of having 6 more arms if they cannot be slotted or provide any meaningful stat contribution.

MetalDog

Playing the schedule each day, especially Mondays and Thursdays, is much easier with an expanded Bench.  It also allows more flexibility in how you slot your Starting Pitchers.  You want to play it the way we are playing, that's fine.  It still wouldn't kill you to add one more spot.  :P

OJsDad

So, if Brant drops A-Rod, does he lose the stolen base he had today, or does he keep it since Brant played him first. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I should keep what he had today, since the drop doesn't happen 'til tomorrow

OJsDad

Or maybe the more import question is do you keep for the week.  If I understand this correctly, you and I are head to head all week.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on April 05, 2016, 09:26:43 PM
Playing the schedule each day, especially Mondays and Thursdays, is much easier with an expanded Bench.  It also allows more flexibility in how you slot your Starting Pitchers.  You want to play it the way we are playing, that's fine.  It still wouldn't kill you to add one more spot.  :P

It's called making executive decisions within the limits of resource constraints.  No one says you cannot play the wire adding and dropping players just like a minor league system or carry more or less pitchers.  You just need to figure out how to do it with 6 slots.

The reality is that teams on average carry 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Our league is initially setup giving you 14 position players and 6 pitchers.  You just don't have the real option of carrying 6 pitchers in the bullpen.  The stat utility of carrying an extra position player for covering the one off day a starter may have due to schedule isn't a given offensive stat increase.  It's really necessary to have a preposition player for DL purposes and for specific players/positions that are not everyday players.  Generally specific players are is limited to catchers who tend to have many more off days then the typical everyday infielder or outfielder.