Adventures in automobile repair...

Started by republic, March 30, 2013, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

So I bought a used Xterra so we could have something to haul a small trailer.  We generally favor small high mpg cars because we are always on the run.  Anyhow the Xterra had some small issues and I have been trying to work through them one weekend at a time.

This weekend, it was a whine from the power steering pump.  Plenty of fluid but the fluid was pitch black.  "I'll flush the system" I say...

Anyhow, 4 days, 4 quarters of power steering fluid, 2 clamps, many cuts, scrapes, and expletives later...it is fixed.  I spent the last 2 days replacing, refitting, and adjusting the wrong clamp...

I am having a bit of fun though, I picked up the Xterra from a little old lady (literally) for $3000 so it is a relatively cheap learning tool.  It reminds me of 20+ years ago when I started learning how to work on computers.

Any advice for a new shade tree mechanic?

W8taminute

When I was younger I used to do most of my own maintenance such as changing brake pads, spark plugs, fuel filters, oil and filter, air filter, etc.  Nothing too challenging.  I think the most complicated item I swapped out on my own was a starter coil. 

Two pieces of advice I can offer: Organization and having the right tool for the job.

Whenever you disassemble anything always segregate the pieces neatly and label them somehow.  This way when you put the item back together again you know which screw, nut, clamp, etc. goes where.  Take note of part orientation as well. 

I used to change my brake pads without a caliper tool and it always was a 45 minute job.  Once I purchased my own brake changing tool kit the job took me no more than 15 - 20 minutes.  Even if you buy a tool and use it only once, you'll save yourself time and injury if you have the right tool.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on March 30, 2013, 10:30:02 AM
I used to change my brake pads without a caliper tool and it always was a 45 minute job.  Once I purchased my own brake changing tool kit the job took me no more than 15 - 20 minutes.  Even if you buy a tool and use it only once, you'll save yourself time and injury if you have the right tool.

This! Your time is worth money... even if you just use fer shagging the wife.  8) Buy the proper tools and save time, money, knuckles etc.

republic

I hear you guys!  I think my first purchase is going to be a good jack and a set of jack stands.  I spent about an hour just trying to get the front wheels off the ground so I could bleed the air out of the power steering system.  Also, an air ratchet.  I already have a good compressor.  An air ratchet would have saved me a hand cramp and quite a few scrapes.

I call the dealer before I do something to get an idea on what I save by doing it myself.  So far I've:

Changed brake pads:  Saved $80
Replaced Serpentine belt:  Saved $100
Transmission Fluid Drain/Refill:  Saved $100-$150
Power steering flush:  Saved $80

My next jobs:

Replace Idler pulleys
Change Fuel Filter
Fix Power Steering leak on our other truck

The Puss

Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gusington

Definitely agree on organization and labeling...for everything from PC parts to cars. I have lost my mind looking for a nut or something that I KNEW I put in a safe place only to find it in my pocket 6 months later.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

For repairing PCs nothing beats an icecube tray or egg carton with each compartment numbered and a blank piece of paper with a matching number list as well as a good set of self closing tweezers. For a lot of medium size pieces substitute a muffin tin or two.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 31, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
For repairing PCs nothing beats an icecube tray or egg carton with each compartment numbered and a blank piece of paper with a matching number list as well as a good set of self closing tweezers. For a lot of medium size pieces substitute a muffin tin or two.

Nice tip!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.