Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 13, 2018, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: Philippe on August 13, 2018, 09:22:36 AM
If this game had a single player mode I would take the plunge.  But Verdun is still gathering dust in my digital library and as much as I want it I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Tannenburg.  I don't need another game that I'll never look at because it's a multiplayer event.

Criminal shame 'bout those two games and their seeming lack of popularity - at least in my experience.  Also a criminal shame they didn't put the two fronts under one game "header," in the first place, but maybe that is just me.

Post Scriptum is looking pretty damn sweet.

The Hell of Multiplayer:

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 13, 2018, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: Philippe on August 13, 2018, 09:22:36 AM
If this game had a single player mode I would take the plunge.  But Verdun is still gathering dust in my digital library and as much as I want it I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Tannenburg.  I don't need another game that I'll never look at because it's a multiplayer event.

Criminal shame 'bout those two games and their seeming lack of popularity - at least in my experience.  Also a criminal shame they didn't put the two fronts under one game "header," in the first place, but maybe that is just me.

Post Scriptum is looking pretty damn sweet.

I don't think Post Scriptum was ever going to be super popular.  Some of the negative posts (for example) seem to think Operation Market-Garden is pure fiction since they never heard about it "in class" (I wonder what was mentioned in class?  When I went to school, wars were discussed in terms of a teacher or a classmate trying to tell a comic tale of what happened to them that ended in some inexplicable horror...like "and so the Japanese sawed my arm off" (that was one story that ended oddly, I thought)...or for Israelis or Egyptians "So I tried to call tank 4 myself and all I heard was screaming"...are they dead they asked me?  "Ah no, i guess they are uh, dying horribly?"  "right!  I thought so!"  -- Not such a funny haha story, maybe.)

Anyway,  I think PS will remain a good niche game with a pretty solid player base for a while despite the negative vibes. 

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: MengJiao on August 13, 2018, 12:26:32 PM
... Some of the negative posts (for example) seem to think Operation Market-Garden is pure fiction since they never heard about it "in class" (I wonder what was mentioned in class?  When I went to school, wars were discussed in terms of a teacher or a classmate trying to tell a comic tale of what happened to them that ended in some inexplicable horror...like "and so the Japanese sawed my arm off" (that was one story that ended oddly, I thought)...or for Israelis or Egyptians "So I tried to call tank 4 myself and all I heard was screaming"...are they dead they asked me?  "Ah no, i guess they are uh, dying horribly?"  "right!  I thought so!"  -- Not such a funny haha story, maybe.)

Utterly mind-boggling - the not-knowing of history, that is.  Not surprised, mind you, but...

However, to grog is to know history to some degree so perhaps I'm being too critical of those who don't share similar passions.

Skoop

I'm fine with these mp only games, for the most part people I come across are all there to have a good time.

The thing that really gets me pissed is when you come across someone that's hacking or aimboting.  That's the stuff that really kills it for me.

Otherwise, I don't get all worked up over being virtual cannon fodder from time to time.  Every now and then you'll come across tense moments that'll make it worth it.

W8taminute

continuing with the discussion about MP and people being nitwits online.  I've grown used to the nitwits in MP games and there are ways to cope with them.  More importantly for me however pertaining to this game is the following....

Based on the let's plays I've watch this game looks like it's nothing but walk for 75 million years and when you finally get remotely close the action you die instantly from an unseen enemy.  True or false?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on August 13, 2018, 03:19:28 PM
continuing with the discussion about MP and people being nitwits online.  I've grown used to the nitwits in MP games and there are ways to cope with them.  More importantly for me however pertaining to this game is the following....

Based on the let's plays I've watch this game looks like it's nothing but walk for 75 million years and when you finally get remotely close the action you die instantly from an unseen enemy.  True or false?

That hasn't been my experience.  There's a map you can use to track your own side so you you can see what's going on.  You can get transport to the front or spawn pretty close.  Sometimes I take a detour and play the unseen enemy and pick off a few Elite Panzer TruppenGefritters, but you can stick close to your section and medics and get patched up even if the occasional unseen enemy snaps a bullet through some less-than-vital parts.  You can also patch yourself up if its just a case of minor drowning or grenade fragments or a pistol nick in the arm.  You can also take a truck or jeep or tank or armored car or halftack as part of some useful section activity (or even tow an AT gun or set up a mortar or mg etc. etc.).  In my experience there's lots to do and things go fast and there's a lot going on and one does see and shoot visible enemies pretty often.

Jarhead0331

The game needs jet packs and wall climbing parkour. Then and only then will I consider repurchasing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

Notwithstanding what Meng has said above, I find there's usually a negative correlation between how boring/difficult a game is and the number of nitwits playing it.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2018, 04:15:36 PM
The game needs jet packs and wall climbing parkour. Then and only then will I consider repurchasing.

Curiously enough, I've done better at climbing on roofs in this game than any game ever.  It's true in one case the slanted roof was seemingly slippery with blood (lots of splatter in this game), but that was sort of a positive gaming experience I think, really.  Also, the jump button gets you right over fences and low points in castle walls.  I personally feel more freely mobile in this game than in say Heroes and Generals (which was weirdly claustrophobic after a while).

Destraex

Devs have announced a new patch in the works. The patch seems to be missing a lot that is needed to placate the community but includes a new vehicle. All it seems to fix is the tree hit box which was introduced on release. Oh. They also make sure they mention they are talking to the German ratings people. If they fail they will try doing a multi version game if they can. Not sure what that means in terms of existing or future content.

Here is what I think went wrong:

Not much if anything changed from the beta. It's like sombody at the publisher just went crazy and pressed the release button.

Add to that, the Content list on the steam page had the old elements, the devs didn't edit it untill a few days later, someone thinking that a roadmap posted somewhere some months ago was good enough instead of the content list.

Add to that they forgot to remove the "this is a dev build, expect bugs" message from all the release servers and introduced some more bugs like the trees have huge hitboxes bug.
People are upset with poor performance and optimisation as well as lack of advertised release day content such as US paras and the complete map set. Also some complain squad cohesion mechanics are poor but a section commander "regroup command is coming". Still others seem to have expected COD and fast paced gameplay. Others seem to expect the usual insane amount of content, more automatic weapons more tank types even beyond the vast amount in game and even beyond what is historical. People are complaining nothing was done with the armour model on tanks, 88mm hitting cromwells close by in the side multiple times with no effect for instance. Others like me are wondering why I have to trawl non-official videos to try to get a proper manual on the basics such as capping numbers, how to use the flask properly (before or after) etc.
Others complain that they are being bossed around in a teamplay game by squad leaders...
Others want progress systems that allow unlocks and are dissappointed with the lack of such things....
Apparently also  they have reduced the foliage hight and density to such a degree that the maps have become open fields. you cant even hide your msp's anymore behind them so the options are limited and predictable.

Most stuff is being fixed in upcoming patches of course.

I still reckon the game is great and an RO2 replacement for me, though and most of the complaints are crazy. Some such as the release list being wrong in some media are kinda silly mistakes.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/736220/announcements/detail/1724202719257972888
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 13, 2018, 05:02:19 PM
Devs have announced a new patch in the works. The patch seems to be missing a lot that is needed to placate the community but includes a new vehicle. All it seems to fix is the tree hit box which was introduced on release. Oh. They also make sure they mention they are talking to the German ratings people. If they fail they will try doing a multi version game if they can. Not sure what that means in terms of existing or future content.

Here is what I think went wrong:

Not much if anything changed from the beta. It's like sombody at the publisher just went crazy and pressed the release button.

Add to that, the Content list on the steam page had the old elements, the devs didn't edit it untill a few days later, someone thinking that a roadmap posted somewhere some months ago was good enough instead of the content list.

Add to that they forgot to remove the "this is a dev build, expect bugs" message from all the release servers and introduced some more bugs like the trees have huge hitboxes bug.
People are upset with poor performance and optimisation as well as lack of advertised release day content such as US paras and the complete map set. Also some complain squad cohesion mechanics are poor but a section commander "regroup command is coming". Still others seem to have expected COD and fast paced gameplay. Others seem to expect the usual insane amount of content, more automatic weapons more tank types even beyond the vast amount in game and even beyond what is historical. People are complaining nothing was done with the armour model on tanks, 88mm hitting cromwells close by in the side multiple times with no effect for instance. Others like me are wondering why I have to trawl non-official videos to try to get a proper manual on the basics such as capping numbers, how to use the flask properly (before or after) etc.
Others complain that they are being bossed around in a teamplay game by squad leaders...
Others want progress systems that allow unlocks and are dissappointed with the lack of such things....
Apparently also  they have reduced the foliage hight and density to such a degree that the maps have become open fields. you cant even hide your msp's anymore behind them so the options are limited and predictable.

Most stuff is being fixed in upcoming patches of course.

I still reckon the game is great and an RO2 replacement for me, though and most of the complaints are crazy. Some such as the release list being wrong in some media are kinda silly mistakes.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/736220/announcements/detail/1724202719257972888

Well...they forgot to say "fear the mighty 88" enough times.    I guess "multiversioning" means some with Hakenkruse and some without.  I didn't notice the foliage changes, though the giant, invisible trees were somewhat disturbing but only in some areas (like one?).  I never had any trouble with Doorwerth castle and the section regroup will require a functional radio man which seems super cool to me -- though maybe a flare gun or something red smoke or something would have been better

Barrage on Oosterbeek:

Destraex

I thought the radioman was for the commander to call arty. Regroup is for the seco's Which are sargents and do not generally have radios.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

Quote from: Father Ted on August 13, 2018, 04:41:12 PM

Notwithstanding what Meng has said above, I find there's usually a negative correlation between how boring/difficult a game is and the number of nitwits playing it.

I think I understand what you mean and agree.  Usually the thinking man's shooter has a great community and I bet PS has a good community too.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 14, 2018, 12:46:46 AM
I thought the radioman was for the commander to call arty. Regroup is for the seco's Which are sargents and do not generally have radios.

apparently they are considering a radioman for each section.