Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on September 11, 2018, 11:26:58 PM
What is the armoured rule set? Proper historical armour and penetration values?

Or at least "potential troublemaker"

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 12, 2018, 05:58:10 AM

I was a section leader for about an hour and we did not do too badly on defense.  We lost a couple of spots, but somebody blew up a tiger and I almost got an MG42 with my Sten gun, but I thought he might be one of our guys so I went up to be sure and he wasn't.

Destraex

I suggested this on the forums:

German Squad\Section radionet titles should be in german funkalphabet instead of british phoenetic
I am having trouble finding any sources for what exactly Germans described their sections as in ww2 when more than one was involved. Now in ww2 I would not be surprised if there was only 1 radio per company. Unlike in Post Scriptum where we seem to have a radio for each section in a platoon for gameplay purposes. Which I think is more of a post ww2 modern thing.
Why? Because you cannot stop people in this modern age of the internet from cheating with voice software.

So if we look at company radio callsigns we might find that the Germans used their own alphabet and designations. The British ones being used on the german side certainly seem out of place.

https://www.feldgrau.com/WW2-German-Phonetic-Alphabet

http://www.panzergrenadier.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5814

So we should have imho for the German radio net in this game:

Platoon Commander:
Commander zugführer

Infantry Sections:
Schützengruppe Anton
Schützengruppe Berta
Schützengruppe Cäsar
Schützengruppe Dora

Logistics Sections:
Pioneer Gruppen Anton
Pioneer Gruppen Berta

or

Logistikgruppe Anton
Logistikgruppe Berta

Armour Sections:
Zug Anton
Zug Berta

Note: I believe that tanks sections were called Zugs but individual tanks like in game called Panzers. I think since in game Tanks are really groups of people that Zug both sounds better and is not specific enough to exclude armoured cars, tank destoyers etc which tankers also crew.

Note 2: I have given the option for Pioneer as a substitute for Logistic company as the role of the logistic sections in game is sort of both one of engineers and supply troops roled into 1.

Note 3: Not sure if Truppe should replace Gruppen. But I believe Truppe may have been a more improvised thing.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Michael Dorosh

Germans did not have radios at the section or platoon level. Neither did the British, for the most part, though the No. 38 set was about as portable a radio as you could get in those days, outside the American 'walkie-talkie' types.

Communication was generally done by voice, runner, hand signal, signal whistle, or flare pistol. Field telephones were used in defensive positions.

Destraex

I realise that. But for post scriptum, a computer game. It cannot be avoided. If you do not have it in game, people just have an advantage over the loners on discord outside of the game. So they have a radio net that is more modern.

The Americans are coming. Did the at the time of Arnhem?

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 13, 2018, 10:54:23 PM

I was a section leader for about an hour and we did not do too badly on defense.  We lost a couple of spots, but somebody blew up a tiger and I almost got an MG42 with my Sten gun, but I thought he might be one of our guys so I went up to be sure and he wasn't.

New patch (don't forget to clear your user cache):

Complete changelog:

-Gameplay: Supply crates can be built from construction trucks
-Gameplay: Logistics section members will now be able to construct emplacements and defense to the exception of FOB.
-Gameplay: Players can now see how much construction points are left when close to construction trucks and supply crates.
-Gameplay: Players won't be able to change side after five minutes, unless team are unbalanced.
-Gameplay: Adjusted ticket count from 400 to 600. (Originally 800)
-Gameplay: Increased Yaw limits of all emplaced MGs and Sdkfz 251 MG42.

-Add: Spanish and German localization
-Add: Original Soundtrack for all Deluxe and Supporter Edition
-Add: Artbook for all Deluxe and Supporter Editions
-Add: Repair Station can now repair internal components

-Fix: Not being able to deploy MGs in a couple structures and collision issues
-Fix: FOB radios not despawning on FOB destruction
-Fix: Various props materials and LODs
-Fix: Some ground objects collision in Doorwerth
-Fix: Water shader optimization to ease on GPU
-Fix: Brick shader optimization to ease on GPU
-Fix: Bullet are now passing through razorwire
-Fix: Sherman Firefly wheel dust FX

PS: Our level designers are working hard on Velmolen, the first map that will be available for the US faction. A "small" 2 by 2km map featuring the 82nd Airborne. Grave and Veghel will then follow.

https://gyazo.com/cf1547b65e53d7ec323a62e5f9abf122

Also some experimentation with the weather sound and FX.

https://streamable.com/3keg2

MengJiao

I was there.  I sorta saved the day.  I was a medic.  I wandered into a Barn.  There was an SS Eliteturppen hiding by the door behind some boxes, loving or hating his complex automatic weapon or trying to figure out how to hang upside down in the hay chute.  Anyway there he was crouching and considering his options.  He did something involving firing and pivoting in my direction and missed me at a range of 3-4 feet and I shot him at a range of 3-4 feet with a rifle and he died instantly (which still surprises me since for decades in these games shooting Elitetruppen pointblank with a rifle rarely killed them).  In fact (once that little tiff was out of the way) it turned out the barn area was a mix of dead, dying and slightly injured troops of both sides.  I started reviving the Poles with my handy syringe and we went on winning.

MengJiao

And a new patch:
is the changelog for v1.0.99

-Gameplay: Restriction on some kits (2 AT and 2 snipers max per side.)
-Gameplay: Special kits can be seen with a special icon on the minimap to help commander (Logistic, sniper and AT)
-Gameplay: Mines can now be exploded by any type of explosives

-Add: Server admin can now add time to their current game, ideal for private events
->AdminAddMatchTimeSeconds ##

-Fix: German forward construction truck unusable by logi team on Doorwerth S08
-Fix: Cap zone name on Doorwerth (Cafe Westerbouwig)
-Fix: UI compatibility update for 4/3 monitors
-Fix: Haystack being doubled on Oosterbeek and Driel
-Fix: UK radiomen not working with commander call

Destraex

I like the sniper restrictions. If it was them that was stopping entire assaults so you died without seeing anybody constantly.

Con

Quote from: Destraex on September 30, 2018, 11:38:32 PM
I like the sniper restrictions. If it was them that was stopping entire assaults so you died without seeing anybody constantly.
Interestingly enough I was reading about how massed sniper fire is coming back as part of the asymmetric nature of warfare.  Well established and multiple (many??) snipers and spotters with good communication wait for enemy to enter a kill zone.  With multiple snipers shooting from multiple distant points enemy infantry quickly pinned down.  Reaction time and accuracy of artillery is so good now that within minutes you can blanket pinned down infantry causing mass casualties.  Drones/AT equipped infantry can level playing field against any armor assets that move in.  This type of tactics has especially been seen in the Ukraine.

MengJiao

Quote from: Con on October 01, 2018, 10:41:04 AM
Quote from: Destraex on September 30, 2018, 11:38:32 PM
Interestingly enough I was reading about how massed sniper fire is coming back as part of the asymmetric nature of warfare.  Well established and multiple (many??) snipers and spotters with good communication wait for enemy to enter a kill zone.  With multiple snipers shooting from multiple distant points enemy infantry quickly pinned down.  Reaction time and accuracy of artillery is so good now that within minutes you can blanket pinned down infantry causing mass casualties.  Drones/AT equipped infantry can level playing field against any armor assets that move in.  This type of tactics has especially been seen in the Ukraine.

I'm sure snipers are quite effective, BUT what tends to happen in FPS games is that they slow down games like Post Scriptum which already have a slow pace.  Or to look at it another way, if a large proportion of the players are busy (quite wisely) looking for good spots to snipe from, then the whole premise of the game -- which is that it somehow approximates relatively fluid small unit actions -- disappears.

MengJiao

Another big patch (dont forget to clear your user cache):

-Gameplay: Tank handling massive overhaul
-Gameplay: Removed team lock restriction
-Gameplay: Razorwire deals 3 times more damage to infantry soldiers
-Gameplay: British Armored Cars are getting more damage from TNT and 20mm AP
-Gameplay: German Sappers and Heavy AT get Haftholladung (Magnetic Mine)
-Gameplay: German and British light anti tank get 4 rockets (2 previously)
-Gameplay: Regroup call cooldown is now 2 minutes (5 min previously)
-Gameplay: Regroup call is no longer 30 seconds delay but 20 seconds
-Gameplay: Closed some buildings in Arnhem to help gameplay flow
-Gameplay: Incapacitated teammate nametags are now showing in grey
-Gameplay: Phosphorus and Gammon bombs are now exploding on impact

-Add: Arnhem City 2x4km
-Add: Trenches around Ritveld (Driel)
-Add: New grass model (improves both visuals and performance)
-Add: Rotation added to all thrown grenades when thrown

-Fix: Track FX issues
-Fix: Flak 36 visible to the enemy on the map
-Fix: Removed heartbeat sound on spawn

MengJiao

Arnheim Bridge from the south:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 18, 2018, 02:48:40 PM

Arnheim Bridge from the south:
And a hotfix (I guess I'll clear my cache again!!)

Gameplay: Moved spawn points for Koepelkerk further back (not inside the main building anymore)

- Fix: Being able to cross the river with vehicles
- Fix: Various culling distances of objects tweaked
- Fix: Being able to pass through a closed off section of a building variant
- Fix: Collision issues in Eusebius kerk tower
- Fix: Various floating stairs, foliage, props and buildings
- Fix: Some smaller objects blocking vehicles (Cafe chairs, sandbags, etc)
- Fix: Mesh issues with John Frost Bridge

PS -- and now the Bren Gun Carrier works pretty well!!!  I mean you can turn it at 30 kmpH without slewing around!!!

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 19, 2018, 01:27:42 PM

PS -- and now the Bren Gun Carrier works pretty well!!!  I mean you can turn it at 30 kmpH without slewing around!!!

Looking South from the top of Arnheim Bridge: