Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

Probably mentioned before (I did not read all 11 pages of the thread) but this looks so much like WWII Online.  I played that for quite a while with a good group but I sucked at it.  Seems like no matter which way I moved it was always right into a bullet.  No reason to think it would be any different in this game.   ;D
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Destraex

I guess it is similar. However unlike ww2 online you can spawn close to the front? I only played one game of ww2 online so I would not know, but I assume from the game I played it's a long way back. In post scriptum to prevent this your team has a spawn command truck. That is moved around by your team. It dies and you will all be traveling to the front by bren carrier, truck or foot.
They also have a regroup function coming for the section leaders. So they can pull all alive section members to their area.

Also post scriptum has a medic function to revive dead members. People can also bandage themselsves and others unless they are hit by a lethal shot.

So the trade off is fair I think. So you don't waste hours wandering around. The maps are small than ww2 online as well. It's a nice happy medium for me. Leaning heavily on realism but still having enough mechanics to ensure you are not wasting your gaming time and it seems like their are more people on you team (respawning) than their really are. Like a real battle.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 23, 2018, 10:39:15 PM
I guess it is similar. However unlike ww2 online you can spawn close to the front? I only played one game of ww2 online so I would not know, but I assume from the game I played it's a long way back. In post scriptum to prevent this your team has a spawn command truck. That is moved around by your team. It dies and you will all be traveling to the front by bren carrier, truck or foot.
They also have a regroup function coming for the section leaders. So they can pull all alive section members to their area.

Also post scriptum has a medic function to revive dead members. People can also bandage themselsves and others unless they are hit by a lethal shot.

So the trade off is fair I think. So you don't waste hours wandering around. The maps are small than ww2 online as well. It's a nice happy medium for me. Leaning heavily on realism but still having enough mechanics to ensure you are not wasting your gaming time and it seems like their are more people on you team (respawning) than their really are. Like a real battle.

While there are similarities with WWIIonline (which even had mobile spawns at some point) -- there are many refreshing differences as well:
1) aircraft are AI only -- brilliant!
2) lots of player-controlled mortars!
3) nice range of vehicles!
4) smaller maps -- definite objectives!
5) cool options like setting up bases that spawn jeeps!
6) battles end in less than an hour or so!

And for me, I'm still amazed that when I shoot a German pointblank, they just die.  So evidently my rifle works (something of a surprise after everything from WWIIonline to Heros and Generals where a rifle shot pointblank to the chest will not even seriously disable somebody...and then they kill you with a shovel or a wrench...hahaha!  Zouweeyee!).  I'm also surprised at not having seen any cheating at all.  i can recall days in WWIIonline where the server was rejecting a certain cheating method and I could walk bathed in the flame of exploding cheat projectiles for miles through the German lines, killing the occasional 88 crewman when I could see him through the eternal fires of rejected cheat projectiles (which among other things went on repeating because the servers gave low pings extra-to-eternal time in some compensatory cycle of cheating scorching stuff eternally repeating in the rejected code and in the servers' inability to do more than reject any effect on me but allowing me to be bathed in the pureifying fires of my glorioiyus not-cheating-at-all purity -- well that hasn't happened in Post scriptum yet )

Geezer

It's only $21 at GMG right now so it wouldn't take much time to get my moneys worth.  Still the Steam reviews are mixed at best.  Is it easy to join a group?  I assume lone wolf play doesn't cut it.  Is voice chat built in?  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

MengJiao

Quote from: Geezer on August 24, 2018, 12:24:20 PM
It's only $21 at GMG right now so it wouldn't take much time to get my moneys worth.  Still the Steam reviews are mixed at best.  Is it easy to join a group?  I assume lone wolf play doesn't cut it.  Is voice chat built in?  Thanks.

Voice chat is built in, but with different channels.  If you are a basic player in a section you have section (B) and local (V).  I'm not sure if you can go to (G) command.  To join a group you select a section in the spawn/entry screen and then get a loadout (try to pick something you have studied up on -- MGs and rifles are easy, mortars, tanks, sappers and so on require more work to master). 
Once you are in a section, your section-mates are green on the map (M to see map, N to zoom).  You can check on the situation on the map before you decide where to spawn -- also your section leader/sergeant may suggest something (as in "Take the Bren and spawn at the MSP south of the objective")...also they may bug you as in "Do you have a mic?"  but that's less common these days.  Test your mic before you go into the game.  You can type in the game but people are pretty perfunctory about kicking people who can't be heard.
I'm often on about 10:30 to 11:30 pm as "Lance Corporal Brown" and I'll help if i can.
Let's see...how not to get shot...There are several dangerous moments in the game: 1) spawning at an MSP or FOB that is know to the enemy 2) moving in or out of an objective while it is active or shortly thereafter (the aftermath can be very dangerous because your own sides coordinated forces have moved on and the enemy's stragglers are pretty trigger happy.  3) anywhere near artillery or mortar or airstrikes of either side  Other than that, if you stay close to your section mates you get protection and medical services and warnings about enemies and friendly fire so assaulting or holding an objective can be a lot safer than trying to get from a spawn point to an objective.  But there are plenty of other strategies for surviving.  I like driving around in Bren gun carriers or halftracks -- a little armor goes a long way.

What are some safe places?  The main base is totally safe so you can spawn there and take a bren gun carrier for a tour.  Those have gotten more popular so you may just have to walk -- but if you learn to use your canteen, you can jog for many kilometers and see the sights and probably not get shot.

Geezer

OK, thanks.  I'll watch some more on Youtube before deciding.  If the time you mentioned is Eastern US then that is past my bedtime.   ;D

MengJiao

Quote from: Geezer on August 24, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
OK, thanks.  I'll watch some more on Youtube before deciding.  If the time you mentioned is Eastern US then that is past my bedtime.   ;D

Yes, EDT right now.  The UK, Dutch, French and German servers are all active much earlier (from my point of view).

Silent Disapproval Robot

I played a lot of MP WWII Online, Red Orchestra, Iron Front, and ArmA I-III and I was really looking forward to this game.  Sadly, I find that I do not care for it much.  Some of it is down to me.  I find I don't enjoy PC games as much as I used to and the pitfalls of MP playing even less so.  Having said that, I also think this game has some significant issues that need to be addressed in before it'd be worthy of purchasing IMO.  Firstly, it runs very poorly.  I have a fairly high end PC that runs most modern games on high settings with decent frame rates.  PS gives me pretty bad frame rates (15-20 fps in most situations)  despite mediocre looking graphics with some really bad texture loading delays and pop ups. 

Some issues I've had (spewed out of my brain in no discernible order.)   
Rebinding keys is buggy and doesn't always work.   Vehicle physics need work.  Tanks get stopped by fences and sometimes bounce and jump around as though they were balloons.  Building interiors are completely devoid of features.  Destructible terrain would be nice as would the ability for rounds to penetrate through certain types of cover.  Navigating the map/Spawning screen is not as intuitive as it could be.  Lot of complete idiots online despite this being less of a twitch game than stuff like COD.  Training maps are generally worthless as someone will gun you down within a few seconds of you joining.  The whole building/crafting thing seems out of place.  I haven't seen outright hacking but a lot of guys have admitted to setting the GFX at the lowest level possible to remove foliage which makes it easier to see enemy infantry and take them out.  That's pretty lame....

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 24, 2018, 01:47:47 PM
I played a lot of MP WWII Online, Red Orchestra, Iron Front, and ArmA I-III and I was really looking forward to this game.  Sadly, I find that I do not care for it much.  Some of it is down to me.  I find I don't enjoy PC games as much as I used to and the pitfalls of MP playing even less so.  Having said that, I also think this game has some significant issues that need to be addressed in before it'd be worthy of purchasing IMO.  Firstly, it runs very poorly.  I have a fairly high end PC that runs most modern games on high settings with decent frame rates.  PS gives me pretty bad frame rates (15-20 fps in most situations)  despite mediocre looking graphics with some really bad texture loading delays and pop ups. 

Some issues I've had (spewed out of my brain in no discernible order.)   
Rebinding keys is buggy and doesn't always work.   Vehicle physics need work.  Tanks get stopped by fences and sometimes bounce and jump around as though they were balloons.  Building interiors are completely devoid of features.  Destructible terrain would be nice as would the ability for rounds to penetrate through certain types of cover.  Navigating the map/Spawning screen is not as intuitive as it could be.  Lot of complete idiots online despite this being less of a twitch game than stuff like COD.  Training maps are generally worthless as someone will gun you down within a few seconds of you joining.  The whole building/crafting thing seems out of place.  I haven't seen outright hacking but a lot of guys have admitted to setting the GFX at the lowest level possible to remove foliage which makes it easier to see enemy infantry and take them out.  That's pretty lame....

Some of this is getting fixed in the latest patch.  I think eventually it will work pretty well.  Meanwhile it can be fun even so.  Here's seven guys attacking (counting me with the sten gun taking the image): 3  by the house and 3 and me coming up.  I think a few minutes later we were all dead and we lost the scenario and various gripey people said our team sucked -- which it sort of did.  I was a section leader in the last two attacks so partly it was partly my fault -- but I still had a lot of fun and did shoot a few of the enemy even.
Anyway here's the screenshot:

Geezer

My rig is between minimum and recommended specs so the game would probably not look anywhere near as good as your pic.  That does look so much better than WWII Online though.  However people being able to turn foliage down to easily spot enemies hiding in bushes is disappointing to read.  I'll probably wait a while and see if the devs ever sort that out.

MengJiao

Quote from: Geezer on August 25, 2018, 01:57:30 AM
My rig is between minimum and recommended specs so the game would probably not look anywhere near as good as your pic.  That does look so much better than WWII Online though.  However people being able to turn foliage down to easily spot enemies hiding in bushes is disappointing to read.  I'll probably wait a while and see if the devs ever sort that out.

In my pics, I I'm running at a high medium setting, just to help keep it smooth.  So with the graphics up all the way it looks even better.  Plus, when you first spawn, the extra vegetation isn't drawn yet for a second or two -- so I have some idea what people see if they shut off the "vegetation" -- it looks like all that vanishes if you do that is: grass and flowers (who hides in that anyway?) and maybe the outer layer of leaves on bushes.  Based on that, I don't think anyone gains much by shutting off the "foliage"...plus...when I consider myself hidden I've never been shot.  I'm always either firing or moving when I get hit by rifle fire.  On the other hand, I've blown up or shot plenty of people I could not see at all.  Last night (in a night battle)...I was pretty sure I'd shot or blown up two enemies in some shrubbery.  I went to take a look and there they were -- quite dead (but a third foe shot me while I was looking at his dead buddies -- so there's a lesson in that somewhere).

MengJiao

Quote from: Geezer on August 25, 2018, 01:57:30 AM

And here's a Firefly.  The camo on the gun seems to work -- but its kinda useless in all the scenarios in this game cuz the Firefly is the only Sherman and nobody is going to mistake the Cromwell or the Churchill or the Stuart or the two scout cars or the Bren gun carrier for a Sherman of any kind.
   I think I just broke my record in this game for shooting people and blowing things up (mostly the enemy, I'm pretty sure) while spotting for a bomb run on an MSP.

MengJiao

A new patch:

V.1.0.60 - Changelog
- Added new "Regroup Call" feature: SL can start a regroup call from their T menu which will allow them to become a temporary spawn point for 60 seconds. The SL must be near a radio (antenna icon in top left). The Regroup Call will become inactive if near enemies, the SL goes into an objective, or the SL dies.
- Added new Radioman class that unlocks at 6 section members. This soldier acts as a radio for Commander support and for SL Regroup calls
- Added new optimized terrain shader, ground textures and overhauled the lighting for Heelsum. Should ease GPU
- Added a Camera to the rifleman class (saved into the c:/users/appdata/local/postscriptum)
- Added 9 new layers to Doorwerth
- Added audio feedback (moaning and heartbeat) when bleeding
- Added Polish Brigade faction to Driel

- Fixed missing foley sounds (enter/exit, seat switch and ammo switch) to Stuart tank
- Fixed missing material for tramwagon
- Fixed collision on TNT to stop colliding with vehicles

- Players should not be able to build mortar emplacements in main base
- Further optimization to foliage

NOTE: BE SURE TO CLEAR YOUR USER GAME CACHE FROM THE IN GAME SETTINGS MENU AFTER INSTALLING. LIGHTING / SHADERS WILL BE CORRUPT IF YOU DO NOT CLEAR USER CACHE AFTER INSTALLING PATCH

Regroup Call
All Section leaders will now have a "Regroup Call" ability located in the Radial (T) Menu. You must be in radius to a Radio in order to use it. Once activated, you will become a spawn point for your section on a 60s timer. The Radio Regroup will have a 5 minute cooldown after being used. With this we have also introduced the Radio Operator class.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 31, 2018, 01:55:00 PM

A new patch:

V.1.0.60 - Changelog
- Added new "Regroup Call" feature: SL can start a regroup call from their T menu which will allow them to become a temporary spawn point for 60 seconds. The SL must be near a radio (antenna icon in top left). The Regroup Call will become inactive if near enemies, the SL goes into an objective, or the SL dies.
- Added new Radioman class that unlocks at 6 section members. This soldier acts as a radio for Commander support and for SL Regroup calls
- Added new optimized terrain shader, ground textures and overhauled the lighting for Heelsum. Should ease GPU
- Added a Camera to the rifleman class (saved into the c:/users/appdata/local/postscriptum)
- Added 9 new layers to Doorwerth
- Added audio feedback (moaning and heartbeat) when bleeding
- Added Polish Brigade faction to Driel

- Fixed missing foley sounds (enter/exit, seat switch and ammo switch) to Stuart tank
- Fixed missing material for tramwagon
- Fixed collision on TNT to stop colliding with vehicles

- Players should not be able to build mortar emplacements in main base
- Further optimization to foliage

NOTE: BE SURE TO CLEAR YOUR USER GAME CACHE FROM THE IN GAME SETTINGS MENU AFTER INSTALLING. LIGHTING / SHADERS WILL BE CORRUPT IF YOU DO NOT CLEAR USER CACHE AFTER INSTALLING PATCH

Regroup Call
All Section leaders will now have a "Regroup Call" ability located in the Radial (T) Menu. You must be in radius to a Radio in order to use it. Once activated, you will become a spawn point for your section on a 60s timer. The Radio Regroup will have a 5 minute cooldown after being used. With this we have also introduced the Radio Operator class.

I played one match.  1st Airborne lost by about 30 seconds in caping the last cap zone.  I was a section leader so it was partly my fault.  It doesn't seem to be a good sign when I am a section leader.  I did do the radio rally thing and at one point it looked like my section was going to take the town, but nope and later a 20mm flak gun and a tiger broke up the final big coordinated assault.  This screenshot is from earlier when I was just looking at the new lighting effects:

Destraex

Is it your graphics settings or does that look horrible now they have patched it?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"