The Uber Flashpoint Campaigns Game Discussion Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Alright folks, this is a brand-spanking-new FPCRS thread, dedicated to discussions of gameplay: tactics, features, scenarios, history, units & capabilities, etc.  This is NOT for the reporting of bugs or defects in the code, or communicating 'fixes' to the developers.  Bug posts will be moved to the appropriate thread here.  If we have to repeatedly move posts out of the wrong thread too often, folks will start to get a vacation.

For historical purposes, the original discussion thread is here, but it is locked.  Do not carry over any non-game discussions from the previous thread.  Leave it alone.
The other other thread is here, and also locked.  Same rules.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Note that we are locking, but not nuking, the previous topics, as there is still useful information in them.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mad Russian

I have plans for additional scenarios where nuking will be a possibility! :D

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

bayonetbrant

mikeck

Quote from: Mad Russian on January 09, 2015, 12:33:39 PM
I have plans for additional scenarios where nuking will be a possibility! :D

Good Hunting.

MR

Yes! Fire! Fire!
Settle down Beavis
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bayonetbrant

OK, the bug thread is now open.  I'd apparently started it earlier, but never actually saved it.  Sorry!

RobertCrandall

Thanks Brant for your help.  I'm a Flashpoint dev (the quiet one) and these forums are a constant source of inspiration to me to keep the development tempo up.   I've been working on this code base since 2002 and I'm having more fun now with it than ever.  I credit you and the many other inhabitants of this wonderful site for all this.

Saludos!  Back to the game code, Rob

mirth

Rob you seem far to happy and upbeat to be a dev :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Herman Hum

Two identical units move through a hex.  One is in Assault mode while the other is in Deliberate movement mode.  Therefore, both units are in Covered Posture.

If the hex is hit by artillery, will both units be affected identically or, will one unit derive more protection from Assault movement mode?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

mkivcs

Yes I agree with you  that the developers should be congratulated in producing a game which along with command was one of the outstanding games of the last year

Also love the fresh new focused thread.

panzerde

Quote from: Herman Hum on January 10, 2015, 04:40:28 PM
Two identical units move through a hex.  One is in Assault mode while the other is in Deliberate movement mode.  Therefore, both units are in Covered Posture.

If the hex is hit by artillery, will both units be affected identically or, will one unit derive more protection from Assault movement mode?

My understanding is that the unit moving in Assault mode would have additional protection, but that's a supposition on my part based on my understanding of Assault mode movement. I'm interested in what Cap'n Darwin has to say on this.

Interesting question.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GDS_Starfury

Two identical units and a dev move through a hex and walk into a bar.  ^-^
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

panzerde

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 10, 2015, 10:35:17 PM
Two identical units and a dev move through a hex and walk into a bar.  ^-^

But what does more damage? Artillery or walking into a bar?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MikeGER

Quote from: panzerde on January 10, 2015, 10:31:27 PM
My understanding is that the unit moving in Assault mode would have additional protection, but that's a supposition on my part based on my understanding of Assault mode movement. I'm interested in what Cap'n Darwin has to say on this.

the manual says:
QuoteAssault – This is a formal attack order and is used when heavy opposition
is expected. All vehicles are deployed in combat formation and fully
prepared for combat. Average speed is kept relatively high to minimize
time in the danger zone but reducing the effective use of cover along
the way[/u
].

so i would say: the time the unit spend traveling in the hex is shorter, but when the artillery barrage hit the hex while its there its more devastating (to unmounted infantry or very light vehicles/trucks. Those vehicles, that are construted to survive fragments showers on the battlefield and need an almost direct hit of a medium caliber to not count as a runner any more, are not effected different)

educated guess conclusion:
more devasting to dismounted infantry and light vehicles
no difference for IFV (and their content) and Tanks

Mad Russian

Dev puts nukes in the situation and then wins.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.