Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Final moments of USS America (CVN-66)  :(

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

OJsDad

Sad, USS Rodney M Davis was decommissioned in January of this year.  I spent a couple of months aboard her on his very first deployment, which was to the Persian Gulf.    I think all of the ships I spent time on are gone now. 

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Centurion40

Quote from: OJsDad on May 07, 2015, 07:50:06 PM
Sad, USS Rodney M Davis was decommissioned in January of this year.  I spent a couple of months aboard her on his very first deployment, which was to the Persian Gulf.    I think all of the ships I spent time on are gone now. 

It's a weird aspect of life as we mature, ain't it? 
Any time is a good time for pie.

besilarius

Here's a story about the America.  Back around 72, certainly before the Yom Kippur War in 73, American was going to Thessaloniki, Greece for a port call.
Going into the port, is  a bit tricky for such a ship, because there is a good, deep channel, but not very wide.  Also, there are a lot of small islets and rocks waiting to grab hold of any ship that dares to move freely.
There was a little chop to the waves and a fairly strong crosswind, but nothing that couldn't be handled.  One of the lookouts spotted a little fishing vessel that was crossing the channel.  After a few minutes, the bridge crew realised they had a "steady bearing, decreasing range" surface contact. 
The Greek boat was chugging along and just ignoring the looming collision.  He wouldn't answer any radio circuits and ignored flashing light.  This was getting serious.  You can't just stop in a channel with a crosswind, it will blow you onto shoal water, and there was nowhere to turn away.
The captain had six short blasts on the horn, the international danger warning, and a saluting gun fired a blank.  No difference, the fishing boat just kept moving.
The captain didn't want to, because it could cause some panic, but sounded the collision alarm.  Everyone tensed up as the little boat went under the flight deck overhand and we all waited for the SCRUNCH of running over the boat.
Then it appeared off the starboard side of the bow, just chugging along, making no allowance for the huge ship that nearly ran it down.  Everyone on the bridge was tensed up, with sweat pouring all over.  The captain and XO were facing the end of their careers if they ran down a fishing boat.  I distinctly remember the Quartermaster of the watch saying, "That Greek...he's got brass balls the size of footballs."
At that moment, a hatch opened on the deck and a guy climbed out.  His teeth nearly fell out as he gaped up at the overhanging ship, towering over him.  He yanked open the door, pulled a rope off the wheel, and swung the ship directly away.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

OJsDad

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2015, 09:57:23 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on May 07, 2015, 07:50:06 PM

It's a weird aspect of life as we mature, ain't it?

Maturing my hairy arse.  It's called getting old! :tickedoff:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

That's an awesome story, Bes   ;D

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

French frigate Duquesne (D603)

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

1-inch armor plate penetrated by a 15-inch shell.

mirth

QuoteUSS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN-730) arrives home at Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor following a strategic deterrent patrol. May 2015.

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

Essex Class Carrier Modernizations

Steelgrave

Here's a short article pointing out where you can visit certain U.S. Carrier's and Battleships on display. To me, the U.S.S. Texas really stands out because she's the oldest surviving American battleship and only remaining U.S. dreadnaught. I've visited her many times. If you're in the Houston area, go see her and the surrounding San Jacinto battlegrounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/05/22/best-americas-battleships-and-aircraft-carriers-on-display/?intcmp=HPBucket