Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail

Started by RedArgo, December 18, 2018, 01:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

Gusington

I just asked myself the same question.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

John Paul Jones is a curious historical figure.  One can't fault his determination, but there's a fine line between valor and indiscretion, and Jones seemed to have no awareness that such a line even existed. 

His career was wildly unsuccessful for a long time.  When he finally made a name for himself, it was based on a handful of audacious but inconsequential raids he conducted on the British mainland (is that an oxymoron?) and one or two successful fights against the British navy.  The privateers did more to hurt the English economy through rising insurance rates than through the actual capture of many warships, but in a war where every bit of effort counts, the work of the privateers certainly counted!

It was an interesting contrast to what the US Navy did in the War of 1812, where a half-dozen American frigates did far more good sitting in harbor, demanding a constant blockade from far-ranging British ports in Canada, than they likely would have done at sea.  Think about the math:  Six US frigates demanded the attention of approximately 18 British frigates for most of the war (one on blockade duty, one sailing to or fro, and one getting overhauled).

When those U.S. frigates had to fight, they acquitted themselves very well, serving to puncture the myth of the invincibility of the British Navy and helping to discourage the British from further prosecution of the War of 1812.  But, mostly, they generated most of their value by sitting in harbor and demanding attention.

Father Ted

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 04, 2020, 12:44:03 AM
John Paul Jones is a curious historical figure.  One can't fault his determination, but there's a fine line between valor and indiscretion, and Jones seemed to have no awareness that such a line even existed. 

Damn fine bass/keyboard player, though

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Father Ted on February 04, 2020, 01:13:00 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 04, 2020, 12:44:03 AM

Damn fine bass/keyboard player, though

Indeed he is!

AchillesLastStand

If you purchase a pack on their website do you get a steam key and able to play asap?

Pete Dero

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on February 04, 2020, 01:53:04 PM
If you purchase a pack on their website do you get a steam key and able to play asap?

If you want to play asap you will need the commodore edition.

CAPTAIN EDITION

Digital product key for Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail on EA and release, redeemable on Steam in early 2020
Buy 29.99$

COMMODORE  EDITION

Digital product key for Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail, including access to closed Alpha Build.
Buy 49.99$

Gusington

Yeah that's what Game Labs did with Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts and there is a surprising amount of content for a game in alpha.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Did you buy it Gus?  I still havent things a little tight here (I did pick up the EU IV bundle) - If you did what do you think?

Gusington

I did buy Dreadnaught's and have tinkered with it a bit - it is in a very impressive state for an alpha.

I have not bought Age of Sail yet but it's inevitable.

Will also buy that newly announced pirate game when it's available.

I wonder how many people are on staff full time now at Game Labs...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Dabbling with this again on Sunday. Once again compelled to sing its praises. It has such great atmosphere and the combination of naval battles, boarding and landing operations/ground battles really hits a rare sweet spot. The campaign, although still in fairly early stages, is oozing with atmosphere style.

I encourage all with an interest in this time period and subject matter to buy this now to support the developer. Its a superb effort all around.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

It looks like this and Dreadnoughts are no longer available for purchase.  I guess release is imminent...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

al_infierno

Quote from: Toonces on February 23, 2020, 01:55:46 PM
It looks like this and Dreadnoughts are no longer available for purchase.  I guess release is imminent...

The games are purchasable directly through the dev's website, it's not available for purchase on Steam yet.

I picked up UA: Dreadnoughts a while back and never sunk much time into it, but the battles I did play were very impressive.  I'll have to follow the word of the Grogs and pick up Age of Sail.  Watching videos on youtube made me realize how unscratched my "Early Modern Strategy" itch has gone ever since I stopped playing Empire: Total War years ago.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on February 23, 2020, 01:55:46 PM

Links al_infierno mentioned :

https://www.aos.ultimateadmiral.com/

https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/pre-order