"Bloody" Day at ESPN today

Started by bayonetbrant, April 26, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 25, 2018, 11:18:25 AM
Long, front page story on the WSJ today about ESPNs problems.  Weirdly enough, the story is out on the fox news website:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/05/25/how-weakened-espn-became-consumed-by-politics.html

I actually found it through my Google news feed

But it was the entire article and not just an excerpt
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on May 25, 2018, 01:30:17 PM
Theres a chart here that shows the cost of each channel per subscriber.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/tv/features/overcrowded-cable-sector-esquire-spike-fyi-1202012647/amp/?source=images

I think those are averages, though, because some cable carriers have negotiated specific deals for certain channels.

edit:

sorry, I just have to call out this nugget from the article!
Quotewhile MTV returns to its roots with a focus on unscripted series
:DD :DD :DD :DD
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Keith Oberman is back with ESPN.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

I love Olberman's Yankee passion.  And he was boss with Dan Patrick on SportsCenter back in the day.  But I think politics has really messed his mind up.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on May 25, 2018, 07:16:48 PM
Keith Oberman is back with ESPN.

is this the 6th or 7th time at this point?

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Le Batard and Stugotz re-upped.

The press release is hilarious  (my emphasis below)

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/06/dan-le-batard-and-jon-stugotz-weiner-sign-multiyear-agreements-to-remain-with-espn/

QuoteDan Le Batard and Jon "Stugotz" Weiner, hosts of the popular daytime ESPN Radio program The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz have signed multiyear agreements to remain with ESPN. The duo will continue to host their Miami-based program, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET, on ESPN Radio (and simulcast on ESPNEWS). Le Batard will also continue to co-host Highly Questionable alongside his father Gonzalo "Papi" Le Batard and another of a rotating crop of guest hosts. Le Batard will also conduct six longform interviews each year that will live across multiple ESPN platforms including TV and digital. Weiner will make appearances on SportsCenter and continue hosting and guesting on other ESPN Radio shows.

"ESPN has given us ridiculous freedom to have fun, and made us more popular than we deserve," said Le Batard. "A whole lot of people have supported our nonsense in a way that isn't always easy to support but easy to grow. As an added bonus – and we're especially thankful for this – they also pay us."

Added Weiner: "I was hoping for the lifetime contract, to be honest. I'm a little disappointed. Maybe next time."

Known for its offbeat take on sports and culture – and often welcoming guests as diverse as saxophonist Kenny G, the late actor Alan Thicke, writer Malcolm Gladwell, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers – The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz is one of ESPN Radio's top-rated programs. The show is heard by 2.2 million people a week in 258 stations in 151 markets, and its podcast, a daily digital offering of the original radio program, is the network's No. 1-downloaded show-to-podcast product, with more than 53 million downloads in 2017.

ESPN Senior Vice President, Audio and Talent, Traug Keller said: "Dan and Stugotz have a chemistry and a viewpoint that is among the most unique in the business. They take what they do seriously, but not themselves, which bonds them with a growing group of loyal listeners. Dan's sensibilities and intelligence combined with Stugotz's incredible lack of either quality is a winning combination. I look forward to the stress of having to listen to the show in the years to come!"

The Cuban-American Le Batard, who viewers may know as a frequent guest host on PTI, is known for being a witty contrarian with a distinctive voice among sports media personalities. He also hosts ESPN's Highly Questionable, a half-hour weekday program formatted to showcase Le Batard's "questionable" approach to sports commentary highlighting his thoughtful, humorous, and sometimes thoroughly misguided perspective on the world of professional sports. Highly Questionable features the relationship between Le Batard and his father "Papi," as they comment on the day's sports and pop culture headlines with a third, rotating co-host.

Weiner has served as the co-host of Le Batard since 2004. A sports broadcasting veteran of nearly 20 years, Stugotz counters host LeBatard's thoughtful insights with self-deprecating humor and passionate takes on the latest sports headlines.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2018, 11:23:18 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 28, 2018, 11:10:26 AM
Le Batard and Stugotz re-upped.

yay?

I don't enjoy the show.  Le Batard's best moments are waaaaay too few and far between and I can find them later on Youtube or something.
It's good for me that it's on at a time I can ignore it (and usually tune into Dan Patrick instead).

I just thought the press release was entertaining, especially once the ESPN suits kept up with the chuckles.

MetalDog

They do a really good show.  It beats the local crap they have on offer here.  Glad the boys will be around for a while longer.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I know some people who love the show. They're not bad, just not my cup of tea. Dan always seems a little too excitable for my tastes. Dan Patrick is on at the same time here and I generally listen to him instead

mirth

I'd rather listen to pretty much anyone else than Le Batard. Maybe even Jim Rome.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on July 01, 2018, 02:10:06 PM
I'd rather listen to pretty much anyone else than Le Batard. Maybe even Jim Rome.

I'd put on static before Rome.