VBS3 Comes to Grogheads

Started by Jarhead0331, April 25, 2016, 07:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Get ready for some serious coverage. I'm pumped.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MetalDog

You should empty your Recycle Bin, JH.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on April 25, 2016, 07:36:45 PM
What's VBS3

It's what the grown-ups play and get to call 'work' while the rest of us are busy killing zombies or founding the Hanseatic League:  https://bisimulations.com/virtual-battlespace-3

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rayfer

There are some short, interesting videos on youtube.  I strongly suspect I won't be able to afford this nor will it run on my rig.  What the vids show is quite remarkable.

Grim.Reaper

So how much does something like that cost?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 25, 2016, 08:55:19 PMSo how much does something like that cost?

a 3 year contract with a few annual options, O&M markup, and scenario design support all on Uncle Sam's dime
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Double Deuce

Good to see the WinSP series still on the machine.   O0

Yskonyn

Lucky you!

They stopped selling commercial licenses a few months back.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 26, 2016, 12:28:10 AM
Lucky you!

They stopped selling commercial licenses a few months back.

Just as with vbs1 and vbs2, I think one of my conclusions is going to be that vbs is still not for gamers. It's not the kind of product that is meant to be used as a recreational experience. There are so many layers that are really useless to gamers and pretty much just add complexity and barriers to enjoyment from the standpoint of gameplay. It is an educational tool through and through. Approaching it from any other angle will lead to frustration and disappointment and probably a quick trip back to arma3.

I think some of our readers will enjoy seeing how professional military forces are currently using a digital gameplay format to enhance training for warfigting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

and let me tell you, scenario design is a BITCH!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

a gamer will have much more fun with ARMA 3

IIRC  the main difference is
- all the equipment database-parameter and the numbers are of course different.
(so lets say an RPG7 flies different and the impact may lead to other results then shown in ARMA)   
- you can plug-in special AI modules (for example behavior of civilans when their home get searched in a not 'cultural sensitive' way and they go apeshit for example)
- you can plug-in hardware interface-modules. (up to full blown hardware simulators) who send all their data to VBS as input
(once saw a real life artillery piece being operated by its crew and the shell impacting in the far far distance in the landscape were show on a wall using a projector and VBS graphics) 
- shitload of automatic reporting and AARs, logs  and such are being generated... to evaluate each soldier performance   
- real 'mutliplayer'  in a fast network
- the editor is huge

in the end the experience is boaring, you drive a hours long patrol in real time! in 'real' Stan ...a vehicle in the convoy get hit by a roadside IED -finally, now all the carefully orchestrated military SOPs by all the soldiers involed in that training exercice are kicking in, including all the radio traffic, and the med evac, and everything get monitored ..and later analysed from all angels and the perfomrance of each guy rated.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Skoop

Quote from: MikeGER on April 26, 2016, 08:18:51 AM
a gamer will have much more fun with ARMA 3

IIRC  the main difference is
- all the equipment database-parameter and the numbers are of course different.
(so lets say an RPG7 flies different and the impact may lead to other results then shown in ARMA)   
- you can plug-in special AI modules (for example behavior of civilans when their home get searched in a not 'cultural sensitive' way and they go apeshit for example)
- you can plug-in hardware interface-modules. (up to full blown hardware simulators) who send all their data to VBS as input
(once saw a real life artillery piece being operated by its crew and the shell impacting in the far far distance in the landscape were show on a wall using a projector and VBS graphics) 
- shitload of automatic reporting and AARs, logs  and such are being generated... to evaluate each soldier performance   
- real 'mutliplayer'  in a fast network
- the editor is huge

in the end the experience is boaring, you drive a hours long patrol in real time! in 'real' Stan ...a vehicle in the convoy get hit by a roadside IED -finally, now all the carefully orchestrated military SOPs by all the soldiers involed in that training exercice are kicking in, including all the radio traffic, and the med evac, and everything get monitored ..and later analysed from all angels and the perfomrance of each guy rated.

They should add all that to arma3, just combine the 2 platforms...call it vbs in arma dlc.  Surprised they haven't added it with the "all in arma mod", but there's probably defense industry issues with that.

Apocalypse 31

I've had poor experiences with VBS-3 on the military side. I see no point in downloading it for commercial use.

ArmA 3 + RHS mod.