Main Menu

Hell Let Loose

Started by jomni, April 24, 2018, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 08, 2020, 06:57:10 AM

Patch 14 (for Update 8) is out.  I guess I have to see what the M1 is like these days.  Apparently it was OP and then it was sort of nerfed (excessive recoil?) and now its sort of back with less recoil.  I've been using the carbine and lots of grenades often with some positive effects.  Here's driving a supply truck on Purple Heart Lane:

MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 17, 2020, 09:37:08 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 08, 2020, 06:57:10 AM

Patch 14 (for Update 8) is out.  I guess I have to see what the M1 is like these days.  Apparently it was OP and then it was sort of nerfed (excessive recoil?) and now its sort of back with less recoil. 

And yeah, the M1 seems to work well these days.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 20, 2020, 09:44:59 AM

M1 and tank:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 18, 2021, 09:21:51 AM

M1 and tank:

Well...the last night of Update 8...tomorrow is update 9 (the most useful improvement will be that server admins can spectate and so theoretically catch and remove cheaters) BUT tanks and guns and barbed wire will all be improved supposedly.  Anyway, here's my last look at update 8:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 22, 2021, 08:01:40 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 18, 2021, 09:21:51 AM

M1 and tank:

Well...the last night of Update 8...tomorrow is update 9 (the most useful improvement will be that server admins can spectate and so theoretically catch and remove cheaters) BUT tanks and guns and barbed wire will all be improved supposedly.  Anyway, here's my last look at update 8:

Update 9:  I was a German.  You get a shovel for a melee weapon.  The Americans get knives.  People say the game runs better.  I've never had any trouble running the game so, well, it still runs fine.  The Americans sliced right through us like people with knives.  Blew up all our tanks.  Killed everybody and won the game.  I noticed: less artillery use, fewer tanks and our Commander dropped our one breif chance for glory (an "Air Head"...just a place where you can spawn behind enemy lines) right on a mass of Americans just as they started slaughtering us.  It was a nightmare.  What can I say.  It was a nightmare.  Okay.  It was a nightmare.  But I guess it looked okay:

Bardolph

Hurtgen looks miles better. They fixed the weird LoD stuff that was happening when I played about a month or two ago.
Other than the new vehicles and whatnot the gameplay remains very similar. Lots of uncannily accurate destruction of garrisons and OPs, lots of back-capping. My team (its always my team) never defends the previous objective leading to the inevitable domino effect that you get when the other team back-caps and have pulled down all your rear area garrisons as well leading to spawning at HQ lol. One change I noticed is it seems you can't drop off extra supply caches anymore. You are only allowed to have one apparently. I was trying to set up supply caches for defensive garrisons and noticed that when I dropped a second one the first one disappeared. They also disappear when you change class from support to something else. That with the new supply timer makes defending a lot harder in a game where it was already hard.

The support class wasn't a whole lot of fun to play before, what with the constant suiciding to get more supply. The timer puts a stop to the suicides, but now it takes forever to get enough supply to do much with. Timer doesn't reset even if you are killed by normal means, so you drop supply and then wait around till the timer runs out. Yeehaw. FWIW Support is my second highest class after Squad Leader. Both roles a lot of folks don't seem to want to play.

It is still one of my current favorite shooters, it can be a lot of fun when you get a good squad on a semi-competent team. But it can also be a lot of walking, dying and losing when your team is clueless.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 25, 2021, 12:46:24 AM

The support class wasn't a whole lot of fun to play before, what with the constant suiciding to get more supply. The timer puts a stop to the suicides, but now it takes forever to get enough supply to do much with. Timer doesn't reset even if you are killed by normal means, so you drop supply and then wait around till the timer runs out. Yeehaw. FWIW Support is my second highest class after Squad Leader. Both roles a lot of folks don't seem to want to play.

It is still one of my current favorite shooters, it can be a lot of fun when you get a good squad on a semi-competent team. But it can also be a lot of walking, dying and losing when your team is clueless.

They need to work on the meta...maybe just let the Squad leader summon supplies more or less magically in odd/variable increments.  I used to be a squad leader a lot -- not sure why.  Now I usually take my "point man" rifleman with a carbine and 4 grenades and such and go look for trouble unless the SL wants me to do something else such as get a bazooka.
Last night was pretty wild at times, but here's a screenshot from the top of the hill above Carentan as the Americans are about to win:

Bardolph

Yeah, most of my time as SL was under the "well, somebody's got to do it" rule. And somehow that translated into it being my highest ranking class lol. And with a good squad it can be fun.

I think, much like in Squad (the game) that folks, especially newer folks, are afraid to grab the slot. While I prefer my SL to at least know how to drop an OP or Garrison, the only way to really learn is to jump in and do it.
Thanks for all the screenshots you post here, it can be a very pretty game at times, but I never think to take pics.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 25, 2021, 10:16:53 PM
Yeah, most of my time as SL was under the "well, somebody's got to do it" rule. And somehow that translated into it being my highest ranking class lol. And with a good squad it can be fun.

I think, much like in Squad (the game) that folks, especially newer folks, are afraid to grab the slot. While I prefer my SL to at least know how to drop an OP or Garrison, the only way to really learn is to jump in and do it.
Thanks for all the screenshots you post here, it can be a very pretty game at times, but I never think to take pics.

I've been playing off and on for 15 months now.  Things seem to change constantly -- which is fine with me.  I can hit a reasonable number of the enemy pretty fast with the carbine -- much better than my early days missing all over the place with the M1.  Last night was a pretty routine battle but very satisfying.  I just ran around with the carbine and all went well.  I tried to take pictures but you really never know what's going to work as an image.
  I'm pretty happy to have been able to avoid being a SL lately -- it's gotta be the hardest job in the game since you have everybody on the command channel and your whole squad wondering what's going on.  Maybe the best thing about being SL is that you can report targets to the commander and avoid being hit by your own side's bombing runs.  I've been right on the edge of a lot of bombing runs lately -- I doubt they are enemy runs since I'm usually out ahead of my side and who would waste a bombing run on one guy?  So I suspect I'm just well -- lucky in that I'm getting up to the objective just as the first bombs hit it which I guess is nice -- though it seems kind of disturbing when it is happening and/or when you're patching yourself up afterward.
  Oh and this weekend is a free week-end and a sale so things will be even more chaotic than usual.

Father Ted

Game's 25% off atm for those who want to give it a go

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on March 26, 2021, 04:42:15 PM

I guess the free weekend is a success so far.  There's a Latina community now and lots of people are reporting blurred vision, passing out and vomiting, but I can't tell if that is their in-game avatars or their human stay-at-home selves.

Maybe I'll wear my glasses and try to play tonight despite the fact that the "game is an eyesore" and "you can't see anything but vomit" and other problems with extremely high-end systems just before they explode and/or say "You are trying to cheat with those shut-off-the-vegetation settings."

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 27, 2021, 01:50:24 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on March 26, 2021, 04:42:15 PM

I guess the free weekend is a success so far.  There's a Latina community now and lots of people are reporting blurred vision, passing out and vomiting, but I can't tell if that is their in-game avatars or their human stay-at-home selves.

Maybe I'll wear my glasses and try to play tonight despite the fact that the "game is an eyesore" and "you can't see anything but vomit" and other problems with extremely high-end systems just before they explode and/or say "You are trying to cheat with those shut-off-the-vegetation settings."

The game looked fine to me tonight.  I didn't get any good pictures -- I blame Hurtegen Forest which is kind of cluttered -- but here's a screenshot from a good game two nights ago:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 27, 2021, 08:54:26 PM

Just a Truck and a note that "leaders" are going to be coming out in Update 10.  One of the possibilities does make sense -- Teddy Roosevelt  since his son was in command of the 4th Infantry Division that landed at Utah Beach.  How son-of-Teddy (or von Paulus -- another possible leader) are going to work in the game is...well...puzzling.  Will he kind of lend some atmosphere?  Increase demolitions?  Bring some big airstrikes?  Extra supplies?  Hard to imagine anyway here is a supply truck:

Father Ted

Quote from: MengJiao on April 02, 2021, 07:14:06 PM

...a note that "leaders" are going to be coming out in Update 10.  One of the possibilities does make sense -- Teddy Roosevelt  since his son was in command of the 4th Infantry Division that landed at Utah Beach.  How son-of-Teddy (or von Paulus -- another possible leader) are going to work in the game is...well...puzzling.  Will he kind of lend some atmosphere?  Increase demolitions?  Bring some big airstrikes?  Extra supplies?

You may be over-thinking this bro