Main Menu

Xenonauts 2

Started by Pinetree, October 24, 2016, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Price will be 39.99, but during first week will be 29.99, 25% off

Grim.Reaper

Comments from developer about differences from first version

It's difficult to pick out specific changes because the improvement comes from lots of small changes rather than a few big ones, but here we go:

- Graphics / Presentation: the graphics and the UI are a lot better than the first game, and the fact it's in 3D means you can rotate the camera which makes a huge difference to a lot of players.
- Gameplay Variety: there's more types of mission with different objectives, which keeps things fresh. There's more equipment and more opportunities in the tech tree to research stuff in different orders. There's new alien types, and the aliens have more distinct abilities that mean they sometimes require more tactical adaption.
- Information: the game displays more useful information to the player, like exactly how the shot hit % is calculated. You can now preview what your hit % for a shot will be from a particular tile before you actually move there. There's a tutorial, and good tooltips that use the CK3 / Old World nested tooltips system.....

Basically, there's more stuff and what's there is better. I haven't even mentioned smaller additions like being able to train soldiers, or base structures now having a Power system and adjacency bonuses, etc.

If you're worried about it being too similar to X1 then there's no harm in waiting until release when you'll have a much better idea of what the final game looks like, and whether people like it or not.

Grim.Reaper

And now released....

bobarossa

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 18, 2023, 04:22:28 AMAnd now released....
I guess I should start playing the first xenonauts now. Purchased when it first came out.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bobarossa on July 18, 2023, 06:54:55 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 18, 2023, 04:22:28 AMAnd now released....
I guess I should start playing the first xenonauts now. Purchased when it first came out.

From what it sounds like the first version might not be drastically different from the second version so might not be missing much:)

FarAway Sooner

So, released but still in Early Access.  Good for those guys!  That's a nice milestone to clear. 

We'll see how it goes from here.  Mission variety was one of the few areas where the game fell over for me mid-/late-game.  It's nice to hear that they're adding new options.

JasonPratt

Looks like no random maps yet, and currently no way to use previously designed fan-made workshop maps (which might make sense due to the different timeframe, late 00s instead of 70s. But still.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

The game is fiendishly difficult, but it is still engrossing. It is basically a complete copy of the original X-COM, which is a good thing because that game was nearly perfect in every way. If there are any problems that jump out at me, its with the maps. They are bland and lifeless. Most random encounters seem to take place on the same type of map. Some kind of a dull construction site or industrial block. They need to diversify this and somehow make the terrain come alive. Also, the civilian AI is brain dead. They need to work on that a little too. A number of missions are also time sensitive. In other words, after 7 turns, the enemy will begin to get reinforcements which will result in the difficulty ramping up dramatically. I absolutely hate this and any time limitations or restrictions imposed in missions. There are a few other things I could harp on about, but I suspect they are mostly due to the fact that I'm still pretty early in my campaign. I think a lot of the challenges I am facing that sometimes seem unfair will be adjusted as my team improves with experience and we get access to better technology, defenses and offensive weaponry. I'm like right on the cusp of unlocking major new weapons and gear that I think will dramatically alter the balance. I can feel it.

In general, if you like the original X-COM, you'll probably like this too. It sticks very closely to its successful formula.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

matt3916

Jarhead -- Can you compare/contrast with the original Xenonauts?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: matt3916 on July 19, 2023, 05:29:17 PMJarhead -- Can you compare/contrast with the original Xenonauts?

Although I have it, I never really got into it and my last experiences with it were several years ago. My lingering impression is that it made me want to play the original X-Com.  :Nerd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18