What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just started book 3 of the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson.  It's pulpy military sci-fi with a good sense of humour.  Basically, some furry aliens show up on Earth in present day and start blowing a bunch of stuff up.  One of their dropships is forced to do an emergency landing in Maine and an off-duty soldier and some local rednecks manage to capture one.  Before the furry aliens can do much damage, some lizard aliens that they're currently at war with jumps into orbit around Earth and chases the invaders off.  Earth allies itself with the lizards and agrees to send off an expeditionary force to fight on behalf of the lizards off-world.  The lizards see humans as backwards savages and treat them as such (think colonial troops fighting for the Imperial powers in the 19th century) and won't trust them with advanced tech or weapons.

Things take a turn when the same off duty soldier from Maine stumbles across an AI system that may be partially insane and that's when the series gets interesting. 

airboy

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 11, 2017, 08:31:30 PM
Just started book 3 of the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson.  It's pulpy military sci-fi with a good sense of humour.  Basically, some furry aliens show up on Earth in present day and start blowing a bunch of stuff up.  One of their dropships is forced to do an emergency landing in Maine and an off-duty soldier and some local rednecks manage to capture one.  Before the furry aliens can do much damage, some lizard aliens that they're currently at war with jumps into orbit around Earth and chases the invaders off.  Earth allies itself with the lizards and agrees to send off an expeditionary force to fight on behalf of the lizards off-world.  The lizards see humans as backwards savages and treat them as such (think colonial troops fighting for the Imperial powers in the 19th century) and won't trust them with advanced tech or weapons.

Things take a turn when the same off duty soldier from Maine stumbles across an AI system that may be partially insane and that's when the series gets interesting.

I bought the first book for a buck.  Then the audible bastards sold me the audio version for four bucks.  I have a crack habit.

Gusington

From Ruin of the Roman Empire by James O'Donnell: "Civilization is a thing of the calm, the patient, the pragmatic, and the wise. We are not assured that it will triumph." Damn but that is a great final statement.

Now about to start "Lights Out - A Cyberattack - A Nation Unprepared - Surviving the Aftermath" by Ted Koppel.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Sounds like pretty depressing stuff, Gus.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Gus, I have Lights Out also. Tried to start it recently but it just wasn't very interesting, at least not at start. LMK what you think.

I re-started Invasion: Alaska. Never finished it a couple of years ago and I remember it being a decent enough read.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: airboy on June 13, 2017, 08:23:29 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 11, 2017, 08:31:30 PM

I bought the first book for a buck.  Then the audible bastards sold me the audio version for four bucks.  I have a crack habit.

I got the audio books as well.  The narrator does a great job. 

BanzaiCat

I had grabbed the audiobook version of the four Alien movies (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection). I got about 80% of the way through the first book on my drive. I also have Beevor's Stalingrad on audiobook format as well.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on June 17, 2017, 01:13:29 PM
From Ruin of the Roman Empire by James O'Donnell: "Civilization is a thing of the calm, the patient, the pragmatic, and the wise. We are not assured that it will triumph." Damn but that is a great final statement.

O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^I agree 😎

Will let you know about Lights Out, BC. Starting it now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on June 17, 2017, 01:13:29 PM

Now about to start "Lights Out - A Cyberattack - A Nation Unprepared - Surviving the Aftermath" by Ted Koppel.

Ted Koppel?!?

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I'm re-reading, "Hitler Strikes North-- The Nazi Invasion of Norway and Denmark, April 9, 1940" by Jack Greene & Alessandro Massignani while I'm waiting for my next read, "Maximinus Thrax-- From Common Soldier to Emperor of Rome" because I can't pass by a good Roman Emperor story.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

'Maxiumus Thrax' should be the name of a fighter in my next D&D AAR.

Gusington

Star already took that name for...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Sir Slash: Harry Sidebottom (Warrior of Rome series) has another series now called Iron and Rust: Throne of the Caesars, which fictionalizes Thrax's life and world. If you've never read the Warrior of Rome series, it is awesome...I would expect nothing less from his new series.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd