Anthony Cumia fired

Started by MetalDog, July 04, 2014, 05:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Anthony, from the Opie & Anthony Show on Sirius XM, has been fired.  He was taking some pictures in Times Square when a women thought she was the object of the photos.  She attacked him, punching him five times and calling him a, "white motherf*cker."  He posted a picture of her on Twitter and attached a expletive laden diatribe to the rant.  Sirius read it and fired him late Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/anthony-opie-anthony-fame-fired-twitter-rant-195335862.html
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

I've tried to reply, but I have no words that don't make me sound like an asshole for supporting Anthony.

Bottom line is, the media is of course completely ignoring the fact that this crazy woman physically attacked him and called him a 'white motherfucker.' He calls her a "cuntrag" on Twitter and gets fired. Nevermind her. She's obviously a victim, the poor, poor thing.  ::)

His taking pictures and then posting them is probably ultimately what did him in. None of the pics have her face except one - the one in the news story there that's all blurred out. I'm surprised that link says "white motherfucker" in it and isn't glossing over what she did to him; most others seem to be trying to make her look like the victim and Anthony like the criminal here.

I dunno. I had a feeling this was going to catch up to him eventually. O&A was pretty much the only channel I listened to on SiriusXM and I have no doubt Opie and Norton and others will leave them soon. And with them go a ton of subscribers. And no doubt they'll have another job somewhere within a few months, because no matter their politics or beliefs or opinions, O&A draws in ratings hand over fist.

MetalDog

I've never listened to the show.  I get the impression that they are not the kind of show I would appreciate.  You certainly can't draw conclusions from one bit, but, I heard a clip of one them pretending to be Tony Danza.  Sounded a lot like him.  He was calling a woman who was president of one of his fan clubs (IIRC).  He proceeded to lead her on, get her all excited like she was talking to the guy she worshiped and then being crude and mean to her.  I have found that kind of behavior funny in the past, I just don't go for it now.

Despite all that, if the story on Yahoo represents what actually happened, then, he doesn't deserve to be fired.  Could he have been nicer, or ignored the whole thing and gone about his business?  Sure, but, she had no right to assault him and call him names.  And who among us has not been outraged at, what appears to be, an unprovoked attack.  Verbal or physical.

I see why Sirius XM did it.  The PC police would have stirred a shitstorm and called them out if they didn't fire him immediately.  So they were just CYA.  It would be nice to see someone take a stand against douchebags that cry, "FOUL," when it's their feelings that are hurt though.  I'm tired of walking on eggshells.  As the curmudgeon on the, 'John Boy & Billy Show,' says, "We are the United States of the Offended."
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Con

I dont really like O&A and my problem with this is that they are always involved in instigating some sort of shenanigans.

I just find it suspicious that he would have a random stranger cuss him out and use racial terms right when he is taking photos.  NY is a tough place but having lived in many major big cities I have never had or heard of anything similar happening to myself or my friends who live in NY.  I am sure it can happen but just find it all too coincidental that it happened to someone who loves stirring up shit

Con

Arctic Blast

Had I not already cancelled my Siriux-XM subscription a couple of years ago, I would now. Of course, that took countless calls and emails over a three month span as they continued to fail at the arduous task of actually cancelling the account.  >:(

The only reason Sirius-XM even remains a viable enterprise is because they somehow convinced every North American auto maker to shove a Sirius-XM system into every car they build.

eyebiter

Gusington

I don't know why this is being labeled a racist issue. Anthony's whole Twitter outburst was crass but he never said anything about her race from what I read.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I think the terminology I've been seeing regularly is "racist-fueled" or "racist-leaning." Nothing about, you know, actually being racist. Funny how they're being very careful with the words they use.

Now, "white motherfucker" sure as hell is racist. But nobody brings that point up on any of the news sites (except in the comments sections), because it's okay if a white guy is being called something like that. If it were the other way around...oh, no.

Honestly I'm surprised they lasted that long. As I said I figured it would catch up with them at some point. I read somewhere that SiriusXM was looking to not renew the show, and this was probably a convenient way for them to do it. I gotta wonder if they thought about how many subscribers they'd lose in one fell swoop over this. I'm thinking of calling to threaten cancellation to see what kind of a deal I can get out of it. O&A might have been one of the only channels I listened to, but there's 200 others I can switch over to I suppose.

QuoteRead since Sirus and XM radio merged they have been getting rid of DJ's.  Bet some corporate bean counter figured this was a good excuse to fire the guy.

I was a bit surprised in hearing what they paid Stern back in 2011 - $80 million a year back about at the time of the merger, and that was down from $100 million a year. Also, their management LOVES to pull in big names from Hollywood, music, and sports (can you say Oprah, Jimmy Buffett, and Tony Hawk), people you and I have heard of but have zero radio personality, and paying them a shitton of money to slap their name on a channel and then, ironically, pay the people that are on the air barely enough to make a living. SXM cut the salaries of just about everyone that had a 'big' show since the merger, because the managers are more about making big name-recognition deals with people that have zero radio skills, but pinching pennies with their on-air talent. Their CEO whined in Forbes that he was making next to no money when he pulled in almost $40 million in 2012 (plus stock options, IIRC, that came out over $100 million - yeah, you suffered, you poor bastard). I've heard some SXM DJs make $100-200 a week. I thought it was a joke, but I heard it often enough on the O&A show and elsewhere that it made me think it must be pretty close. Board operators only make about $35,000 a year, so regardless of range, that's a crap wage in a market like New York or Washington D.C. A lot of those DJs do multiple channels, probably for the money and more likely because they keep shedding DJs like snakes shed skin.

Anyway. O&A weren't hurting for cash, but they'd sometimes bring up how they should be making closer to what Stern was bringing in, that surely they had listener numbers near his, and so on. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and these cancellations really do make a dent in them.

GDS_Starfury

I prefer the term cracker ass motherfucker personally.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 04, 2014, 11:04:58 PMI gotta wonder if they thought about how many subscribers they'd lose in one fell swoop over this. I'm thinking of calling to threaten cancellation to see what kind of a deal I can get out of it. O&A might have been one of the only channels I listened to, but there's 200 others I can switch over to I suppose.

http://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/29tsgo/everone_cancel_siriusxm_anthonystrong/
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

This is interesting - when I checked Ant's Twitter feed this morning, he's apparently deleted everything back through late January of this year. He must have been advised to do so by counsel. The last tweet he's showing is from 1/20/14.

Good thing I took some screenshots of some of his diatribe, lol.

In any case, he'd been retweeting tons of pics of people showing their cancellation notices for SiriusXM. The more I think about it the more I'll just wait and see what happens Monday. If they put someone like Louis C.K. into Ant's chair, that would be well worth sticking around for. Even if they just keep playing 'Best Of' episodes through October, that's fine too, because honestly their older stuff, before SXM put the chastity belt on them and restricted their on air antics (see: Sex for Sam, or The Voyeur Bus, as slight examples), was all a lot more entertaining than what they've been doing lately. Even so, I've enjoyed listening to them. Light years better than the old Stevens & Pruett or Walton & Johnson here locally.

I used to listen to local sports AM radio all the time, but can't go back to that. Seems every time I do switch over to them they're playing commercials (AM tends to be 25-30 minutes of actual content and 30-35 minutes of advertising). Regular FM radio? Oh, hell no - it's usually crappy "top 40" pop junk, Spanish stations, or other watered-down and dull content. I've admittedly been spoiled with satellite radio and doubt I'll cancel. I just need to find something entertaining now.

Staggerwing

^I just plug my iPhone into the car radio and listen to everything from Pandora to BasicBrewing Radio. There's a whole crap-load of stuff to enjoy once you stop depending on the airwaves.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I don't have satellite radio but I carpool with buddies who do. There's a lot of advertising on there too which surprised me. I have to pay AND listen to crappy commercials? No thank you.

I can't believe how little some of the DJs are making on Sirius. I have two really old friends - one a board operator/producer and the other an on air DJ for a really big national show - and they both make very comfortable livings. I thought that anyone who made it to Sirius made it big time...guess not :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 05, 2014, 11:30:11 AM
^I just plug my iPhone into the car radio and listen to everything from Pandora to BasicBrewing Radio.

I would do that, if I could. When my car was sold to me, they told me it had a jack for iPhones and that I could play music via bluetooth. Came to find out, I cannot do that, which REALLY pissed me off - but the dealer would do nothing about it.

Quote from: Gusington
There's a lot of advertising on there too which surprised me.

That's not on all the channels; only a few of them seem to do that (O&A is/was definitely one; I would just change the channel to music and wait two songs, then the nonsense would be over). The music stations I've heard do not play commercials. Comedy Central's channel does, as do all the other 'comedy' channels. It's a pain, but there's definitely less commercials to listen to, and I am ALL for that.

Staggerwing

Sorry to hear that BC. I actually use a $9 cassette tape adapter with a cord and mini-phono plug because my vehicle is old enough to have a cassette deck.  :-\
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys