Historical Times

Started by Keunert, January 04, 2014, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

This pic of Willie (Patton's dog) a few days after Patton's death is kind of heartbreaking.

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Keunert

British soldiers rescuing dead soldiers out of a shot down german tank

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Keunert

Russian plane spotting gear 1917

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

TheCommandTent

Those are some fascinating pictures.

Also I hate to be the one to say this but .... in the world of photoshop how legit are some of these?  I am sure alot of fine and some are even sourced but others don't seem to have a source or a dubious one at best.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bob48

Quote from: Keunert on January 04, 2014, 06:37:18 PM

My dad had to do that job for a while in the western desert - he had some very gruesome tales to tell.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Keunert on January 04, 2014, 06:37:18 PM

It might be me but rescuing someone usually implies that you're alive and have a head.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

I think Kenny means 'recovery of mortal remains'.

Dad said that it was obviously a sickening job that no one wanted to do, but in every team there was always one bloke who would go in first to 'liberate' items of interest or value. Technically, I guess that would be classed as looting.

'Clip those corners'

GDS_Starfury

Either way its unsung honorable work.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Keunert

Bob: do you have pics from your dad?
i recently got pics from my granddad's french and russian travels.

would be great to see, if there are any
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:47:47 PM
Jesus that cooked Iraqi kinda sneaks up on you, eh?

That Soviet paratrooper is frickin' hardcore!

Paratroopers usually are  8)

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

bob48

Quote from: Keunert on January 04, 2014, 07:07:54 PM
Bob: do you have pics from your dad?
i recently got pics from my granddad's french and russian travels.

would be great to see, if there are any

I think my mother may have a couple of 'posed' photo's from that period, but they are portrait type ones and may have been taken later in Italy. I have one somewhere of him which may have been taken in France in 1940. He served throughout the war in the 5th Infantry Division.

What is interesting is that his unit was in Iraq prior to El Alamein. Whilst 5th Div was not present at that battle, his subunit  (RASC) was rushed back to Egypt in time for the battle. and was tasked with supplying ammo to the arty, so he well remembered the opening barrage of the battle. At one point they were taking ammo directly off the trucks to the guns, so that seems to indicate the vast expenditure of shells.

Later he took part in both the landings in Sicily, Italy and Anzio. He was wounded (by arty fire) somewhere around Monte Cassino and spent several months in hospital.

My mother, who is 87, has now passed on to me his medals. At some point I'll take a photo of them and post them here.

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

That's pretty amazing, Bob. Looking forward to seeing them.

Keunert

I obtained this image from the @RealTimeWWII twitter page. It's supplied with the quote from Vasily Grossman, who was then a journalist with the Red Army, "Germans, frozen to death, line the roads. Practical jokers put them in fanciful poses"
Oscar Wilde

Windigo