Main Menu

Wastelands 3

Started by Jarhead0331, September 01, 2020, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Surprised to not see anybody talking about this one...is anyone playing?

I was never a huge fan of the series. I didn't play the original back in the day, and although I got the the second title when it released, I never played. Wastelands 3 is now out and receiving universally positive reviews, so I wonder why it hasn't received any attention here.

I do have access to it through my gamepass, but there is just so much to play now, I don't know if I can spare the time...I suspect this might be why nobody else is playing too. There is just so much out there at the moment.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Like you I have too much other things going on, but I have downloaded and installed via GamePass.  Now just a matter of time, but to be honest I didn't play the other versions long so not sure this will be any different.

airboy

I loved the original Wasteland - but it is now out of date.

Wasteland 2 had a limited amount of play in the original release.  The limited amount of play, generic setting (little in the way of weird/interesting), and meh plot made it a one and done game for me.  If you compare Wasteland 2 to other RPG releases during the time (same type of game play & combat system) it did not compare favorably.  IMHO - Wasteland 2 was at best equalivant to Fallout 1 without the strength of Fallout 1's story line.

I did not even know that Wasteland 3 was released and appreciate the topic being raised.

I looked at some Wasteland 3 reviews and they are strongly positive.  The only major topic of ire is a dodgy cooperative game software.  Solo players seem to really like it (except some for the difficulty level) and the co-op players not so much.

Looked interesting enough to wishlist.  $60 is pretty pricey.

HoodedHorseJoe

I can't remember why but I ended up getting Wasteland 2 a few years ago. I enjoyed what I played of it but I eventually just ended up moving on as I'm want to do.

Couldn't tell you why but I've not really been paying attention to W3. Almost looks like a different game. We've got a review in the works but code came in late so I don't know what the official word is on how good it is or not.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

al_infierno

I'm a few hours in and I love it so far.  Wasteland 2 didn't really sink its hooks into me - despite generally liking the combat system, the early missions felt like a total slog.  Wasteland 3's early content has been very enjoyable.  The combat is tighter and smoother, and the introductory story missions are more engaging than the annoying opening of W2. 

I've reached the first boss and my only complaint thus far is that the initiative system seems a bit wonky sometimes.  When you choose an [Attack] option to end a dialogue, it seems to generally give initiative to your side, whereas if you choose a dialogue option that causes an enemy to attack you first (such as trying to back down but they won't let you), the initiative goes to their side.  Makes sense.  However, in this particular boss encounter I'm at, even choosing the [Attack] dialogue right off the bat inexplicably gives the initiative to his side, allowing him to incapacitate members of my squad before I even get to move.  In most situations you can remedy this by shooting at them before you even start the dialogue, which starts combat and automatically gives initiative to your side.  But in this case, I have a local Marshal in my squad who gets upset if we try to shoot the local boss guy without asking questions first.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I loved the original on the C64 when released - I think I was about 13. I attempted to play Wasteland 2 (Director's Cut) but it is uber - difficult for me. I have read that this one is more forgiving and more inviting. Can anyone vouch for that?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

This one slipped under my radar somehow. 

Getting a start on it tonight.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

First impressions...

HECK YES!  Like Wasteland 2 on steroids.  RPG in the old style. 

More forgiving than Wasteland 2?  Maybe.  So far I can't tell a lot of difference 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on September 02, 2020, 06:32:28 AM
:'(

Why so sad?  You have so many shiny things to suffer over one shiny thing not in your hand.

Gusington

Wasteland hits an emotional cord for me because it was one of the first computer games I ever played. When I could not wrap my head around the sequel I was bummed and now I am hoping the third game will be a little more user friendly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on September 02, 2020, 10:38:53 AM
Wasteland hits an emotional cord for me because it was one of the first computer games I ever played. When I could not wrap my head around the sequel I was bummed and now I am hoping the third game will be a little more user friendly.

It's fun Gus....so very fun.   

It reminds me even more of the first game than Wasteland 2 did. 

>:D

Gusington

^Thanks D - worth buying if I am just going to ignore Wasteland 2?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

I think so.  Just read up on the story in Wasteland 2 and you should be fine.  I liked the second one, but with just a few hours in on this one I feel like I am enjoying it even more. 

And it has a background perk called "Goat Killer"

"Nobody believes you, but you know what you saw. A giant red goat, standing over your mother's body, freaky golden eyes glittering in the night. Goats aren't normal, just listen to 'em! You're going to kill every goat you can, draw out that Monster Goat, and this time, you'll be ready. Bleat, bleat, mfer"

Gusington

^'Tis the sense of humor that really brings me back. I remember how the writing in the original really did help form my sense of humor, for better or worse.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd