Comparing Yamamoto to Solemani

Started by besilarius, January 13, 2020, 08:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Tripoli

Ian Toll didn't really compare the two situations.  Rather, he  described the Yamamoto shoot down, while begging off Solemani comparisons due to a lack of information.  I'll defer to Jarhead here, but it seems to me that one contrast between the two situations is that Yamamoto was a lawful combatant.  In my opinion, Solemani was not a lawful combatant, by virtue of how he conducted an undeclared war using terrorist/illegal methods.  Accordingly, as a matter of law, he was not protected by the laws of armed conflict.  We could basically do almost anything we wanted to him, according to the rules of war.  Whether it is wise to do so is another question.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

Agreed. Both reaped what they themselves had sown, but Yamamoto was clearly the more honorable opponent. Both fought war the best way they could against their view of their country's enemies but while Yamamoto was a Warrior, Solemani was an Assassin striking at the innocent as well as his enemies, even his own people when they threatened his government, and could never have reasonably expected to be protected by International Law. Especially after being designated an International Terrorist by the Obama Admin.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

demjansk1942

As soon as this happened I was thinking of the Yamamoto situation.  However, didn't hear any of the broadcasters bring it up.  Perhaps, I just missed the segment.

Sir Slash

I'm surprised there weren't more references to it too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.