This Land is My Land

Started by Atilla60, October 27, 2019, 05:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Totally forgot about it, to be honest. Curious how much progress they've made in the last year.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

It looks an interesting game, but has some weird elements like the karma feature. Why would killing those who would kill you be bad karma??

It is a bit too pricey for me. Maybe in a sale.... at the right price!
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

I've just been waiting for the early access to mature.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: Boggit on November 19, 2020, 08:30:15 PM
It looks an interesting game, but has some weird elements like the karma feature. Why would killing those who would kill you be bad karma??

This is one of the things I can't stand about Red Dead Redemption II (not the first one).  If you aggravate a townsfolk enough, even just by standing in front of their cart and blocking their way for too long, they whip out a gun and start lighting you up.  If you shoot back, you lose Honor (basically the same as karma) and get a big bounty, and the whole town starts blasting you.  The first game never had a problem recognizing shooting someone in self defense outside a scripted encounter.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on November 18, 2020, 10:55:25 PM
Has anyone here played this one at all?  I'm absolutely in love with the Spaghetti Western setting and will gladly eat up any good offerings in a tangentially related setting.  Also, the idea of being a native warchief in the dying west is an untapped goldmine.  Without a sale it's a bit expensive for my EA tastes unless it's basically done and being QA'd.

Is on sale for $29.....

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069640/This_Land_Is_My_Land/

Sir Slash

al, That reminds me of Skyrim, the first time I went into town I accidentally killed somebody's chicken and the whole town went homicidal  on me and chased me for a mile down the road. I was laughing so hard I couldn't fight back.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

I purchased TLIML many months ago, and put a few hours into it. Life has been crazy for me since then, so really haven't had a chance to dive in too deep since then. 

However, in general, I liked what I saw. The game had a good sense of immersion and a nice open world feel. I didn't play enough to make a recommendation one way or the other. But I definitely want to keep playing some more.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 21, 2020, 10:07:58 PM
al, That reminds me of Skyrim, the first time I went into town I accidentally killed somebody's chicken and the whole town went homicidal  on me and chased me for a mile down the road. I was laughing so hard I couldn't fight back.  :2funny:

I had a similar (not a chicken) incident in Skyrim.  Instantly, somehow, everyone in the entire city knew what had happened and went berserk in efforts to kill me.

ArizonaTank

I have put a few more hours into TLIML and can speak to the beginning of the game.

The UI for 1st person combat and movement works mostly well.  Mount and Blade has spoiled me on how horses should work, and TLIML is nowhere close to that. But TLIML horses are OK. However some of the strategic game UI parts are sometimes hard to understand. The game helps you, but there are still some rough edges. For example, I met a trader, but could not figure out how to trade with him. It may have been he didn't trust me, but there weren't any real clues to that effect.

The beginning game basically revolves around your chief trying to take on some initial settlements through stealth. Usually these are a camp, with a wagon, maybe a tent and 3 to 4 settlers. The game encourages the player to intimidate the settlers and run them off, rather than killing them. But it doesn't stop you from killing them. I like stealth games, and I found this part of the game to be satisfying. I was able to take down a small walled settlement of about 6 settlers, and this allowed me to release some captive warrior to join me. That was pretty good.

The game world is immersive and beautiful. As someone said...almost Skyrim like.

The main thrust of the game, is played out on the strategic map. You build up your camp and war parties to clear the land of settlers. I like the concept, but am only just getting to the point where I have enough warriors to make a difference. You give your warriors orders while you are not around, so they can carry out basic tasks, like gathering wood, and flax to make bows. But somehow this part of the interface is still somewhat murky. I will get it eventually, but I would not call it intuitive.

You can also take your war parties into combat. The interface is somewhat Mount and Blade like here. But I haven't really gotten to that point in the game. The UI to manage your troops also seems a little sparse and fiddly. Going to need some trial an error on my part.

In short, the game has good bones (at least in the early game), but still needs some polish. If you like stealth games, you may enjoy it in its current state. Otherwise, you might want to wait a bit more while it matures, or goes on sale.

oh, almost forgot....voice acting sucks. Sounds like the devs got drunk one night and recorded various grunts and groans.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Boggit

Quote from: Rayfer on November 22, 2020, 10:21:57 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 21, 2020, 10:07:58 PM

I had a similar (not a chicken) incident in Skyrim.  Instantly, somehow, everyone in the entire city knew what had happened and went berserk in efforts to kill me.
Psychotic animal rights activists! :knuppel2: :DD
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat