Eastern Front Wargame

Started by Zulu1966, January 15, 2022, 05:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 16, 2022, 05:26:06 AM
I know the map (both the new game and The Russian Campaign) isn't oriented exactly north, but seeing Berlin higher than Moscow remains weird.

Remember the World War I game that was oriented sideways, with east/west facing north/south. That was right out of the twilight zone.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 16, 2022, 05:53:39 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on January 16, 2022, 05:26:06 AM
I know the map (both the new game and The Russian Campaign) isn't oriented exactly north, but seeing Berlin higher than Moscow remains weird.

Remember the World War I game that was oriented sideways, with east/west facing north/south. That was right out of the twilight zone.

But they 'caved' after a while and gave you the map with the usual orientation (in their Gold & Centennial editions).

Gusington

I remember that game...what was it called again?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2022, 10:53:04 AM
I remember that game...what was it called again?

After months of brainstorming they settled on this title : 'World War One'.

Later editions are called World War One Gold & World War One Centennial.
It activates on Steam but you can't buy it on Steam (problems between Ageod and the new company about who has the rights to the game)

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/world-war-one-centennial-edition/

Gusington

Hahaha after I typed the above I remembered and then felt...less than confident in my memory/intelligence :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

That one decision alone is why I've never played that game.

Never got it after they changed it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 16, 2022, 02:11:43 PM

That one decision alone is why I've never played that game.

Never got it after they changed it.

Like many things...the road to perdition was paved with good intentions here as well. I believe that the reason for the map orientation was that it synched with the map orientation of a French boardgame called "La Grande Guerre 14-18", that the computer game was somewhat based on. The orientation worked OK for the boardgame...but just did not work well in PC land. 

BTW, the original board game is still considered to be one of the best grand strategy games of WWI. It is long out-of-print, but is still sought after and has become a "grail game," with copies routinely selling for $375 on Ebay. 

And while delving into PC game trivia. The same company that published the boardgame "La Grande Guerre" (a company called Azure Wish), also published another popular boardgame called "Europa Universalis", that seemed to have worked much better in PC land.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

demjansk1942

The definitive game on this is War in the East one and two.  This game looks crazy for that price.  Besides, I have so many Eastern Front games that I don't need any more and am done with the topic.  Gets boring after a while.  I have war in the east 2 and haven't played it yet.   ;D

Commander Cody

That looks exactly like Russian Campaign, which I used to play a lot in the 70s. So, it's Russian Campaign without an AI? What would be the point of buying it? And who owns the rights?

Cheers,
CC

Skoop

Quote from: demjansk1942 on January 17, 2022, 07:48:14 AM
The definitive game on this is War in the East one and two.  This game looks crazy for that price.  Besides, I have so many Eastern Front games that I don't need any more and am done with the topic.  Gets boring after a while.  I have war in the east 2 and haven't played it yet.   ;D

Agreed, kinda wish they did more with WITE2, like added production and things for plausible alternate history.  There's only so many times you can relive Barbarosa, it was just never gonna work.   But, I guess you can get HOI for that. 

Zulu1966

Quote from: Skoop on January 18, 2022, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: demjansk1942 on January 17, 2022, 07:48:14 AM

Agreed, kinda wish they did more with WITE2, like added production and things for plausible alternate history.  There's only so many times you can relive Barbarosa, it was just never gonna work.   But, I guess you can get HOI for that.

Man. You have time to play that game more than once ? I doubt I will ever get close.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.