Airboy Went to the Movies

Started by airboy, April 10, 2017, 11:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I'm not a big movie guy.  My wife is.  But we take an occasional cruise that has a ton of movies you can call up in your Stateroom.  This trip, about 110 movies were available and I saw 19 with her.  Since 40Cent goes to the movies died out, here is my replacement.  I saw the 19 movies on a 10 day cruise. 

Suicide Squad - Saw it for the second time.  I enjoyed it.  Like what they did with the Joker and Harley.  Not the best movie ever, but lots of mindless fun.  Three hot babes.

Secret Life of Pets - Cute.  Fun.  Nothing to upset the kiddies.  Really good for a kids animated movie.

Ground Hog Day - Second time I've seen this.  Really holds up over time from the 1980s.  The scene where Bill Murray drives the truck with the ground hog into the quarry is hilarious.  You could take the (slightly older) kiddies to see this.  Lots of fun.

Edge of 17 - A self-centered, 17 year old female with an equally nutty Mom drive their brother and everyone around them crazy.  The 17 year old female eventually realizes she has been a total jerk for several years.  Everyone forgives her because she is cute.

New Ghostbusters - We watched the first 30 minutes.  Epically PC.  Within the first 4 minutes they talk about P.T. Barnum "imprisoning elephants."  The ghost animations are excellent.  The actresses are not.  The male "secretary" would have been vetoed in any movie if they were female, but this is ok since it is hyper PC.  My wife had enough after the 30 minute mark and we stopped it.  Go watch the first Ghostbusters if you are in the mood for this.  If there was a babe, it did not appear in the first 30 minutes.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Awesome!!!  Loved it!  A misfit boy finds out that he can see monsters that are invisible to other people.  There are rare "Peculiars" who have limited powers.  Bad people come.  There is a beat-down.  Older children who have an imagination will love this.  Excellent sets.  Does start out a little slow but the action really comes through in the end.  One babe.

Central Intelligence -  Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Kevin Hart are in a buddy movie.  Both are appealing.  Lots of glorious chase scenes, action, and humor.  Both the wife and I loved it.  Do not try to examine this for plot consistency, laws of physics, or anything else.  Just suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride.  One babe.

X-Men Apocalypse - Apocalypse is a really poor villain.  We never could figure out what his power really was other than screwing with four people.  Most of the movie is back-story.  There are better X-Men movies out there.  Not horrible, but not that great either.  There are babes.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - Although not as good as the first one, this was a very pleasant surprise.  Same group of actors, same type of humor.  But a well done and pleasant diversion.  If you liked the first one, you should probably see this one.

Florence Foster Jenkins - This one is a gem.  A rich older woman is a great patron of music (Meryle Streep)  , especially classical music and opera.  She is in very poor health and has one of the worst voices ever.  But she thinks she has a great voice.  Her husband (Hugh Grant) carefully screens audiences in small venues so that only her friends, deaf old ladies, or people who can be bribed will attend her performances.  He also pays off newspaper critics.  Really nice old lady, but her voice is epically bad.  Put it this way, Mel Blanc voicing Bugs Bunny in Warner Brothers Cartoons has an epic, world class voice compared to Florence.  The Husband goes out of town for a week and Florence cuts a vanity record and sends it to radio stations.  It gets played and GIs in 1944 New York (many recovering from wounds) love it because it is epically funny.  Florence then rents Carnegie Hall and performs there.  Based on a true story.  Really, really loved this.

100 Foot Journey - An Indian family of cooks who run a restaurant leaves Mumbai (Bombay) because of political fighting.  They end up in rural France across the street from a 1 star Michelin restaurant serving traditional French food.  One son is an fantastic cook.  This starts an epic series of restaurant wars.  There is also romance.  This was a very well done movie.  My wife and I love good food.  She is an excellent cook and I'm actually learning to cook well. 

Sing Street - Dublin in the 1980s.  A teenage boy starts a band to attract a girl.  Filled with 1980s music and fashion.  Everything else in the boy's life (parents, Irish economy, his family, and bullies) are horrible.  We enjoyed it, but we grew up in the 1980s and loved most of the music.  Good movie, but probably has limited appeal.

Magic in the Moonlight - A female medium (Emma Stone) is ripping off a rich US Family vacationing in the South of France claiming she can read minds, see the past and contact the dead.  Colin Firth is an expert stage magician who is brought in to debunk the Medium.  Set in 1920s ultra rich US families and done by Woody Allen.  The sets, music and costumes are all excellent.  But all of the main characters in this movie are largely unlikeable for one reason or another.  If you are a deep "movie person" you will probably like this.  If you go to the movies to be entertained, I recommend skipping.

Mary Poppins - A classic.  One of the few movies I have seen many times.  Every Day is a Lovely Day if you have Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke.

Hacksaw Ridge - True story of a Christian who volunteered to fight after Pearl Harbor who refused to touch a rifle.  He became the first Medal of Honor winner as a medic and religious objector to combat in US History.  The combat scenes from Okinawa are the most realistic that I have ever seen in a movie.  Very inspiring, but horrific.  One of my Dads close friends was a medic with the Marines in the Pacific and this reminds me of him.  Highly recommended if you can live with the combat images.

La La Land - Lots of singing!  Lots of Dancing!  But neither the singing nor the dancing are up to the Hollywood Standards for this genre because neither of the two lead actors can really sing or dance.  Not much plot (if any) to string along the dance and song interludes.  Go watch something with Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, or a Buddy Berkley movie if you are in the mood for this sort of thing.  I left it but my wife was able to watch the movie.  At the end she could not see why it was so popular unless people are just starved for this sort of movie.

Assassin's Creed - WTF????  I have a pretty high tolerance for a lack of plot if there is enough action.  My wife can tolerate almost anything if there is a high body count.  But this was so, amazingly stupid that we stopped it after 12 minutes.  How this plot got approved is beyond me.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Enjoyable movie although all of the lead actors (except the no-mage) are totally forgettable. In sum, man is often horrible, some wizards are horrible, and all magical animals are totally wonderful who would never really hurt us and are ultimately wonderful!  I hate this sort of bizarre moralizing, but it is reasonably enjoyable.  Second time I've seen this.

Magnificent 7 (new one) - A remake of a classic western that is itself a remake of a classic Japanese movie the 7 Samurai.  This is a fun western showdown movie where a small group of gunfighters take out a small army of horrible bad people and protect the innocent and abused townspeople.  I did not think this was quite as good as the original magnificent 7.  My wife liked the male eye candy.  There is one babe.  But in a PC twist, all of the white guys and the one Chinese guy dies but the females, Mexican and black guy all live.  If you like westerns or buddy/action movies this is a good one.  If I had not seen the original, I would have liked this movie even more than I did.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

You went on a cruise and watched movies? My wife and I just went on a cruise to the Bahamas and every second of the 4 night affair was filled with eating, drinking, shopping, sight-seeing, sun-burning, and spending almost every cent I took with me. Maybe I should've stayed in my room and watched movies.  :-\
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 10, 2017, 02:02:44 PM
You went on a cruise and watched movies? My wife and I just went on a cruise to the Bahamas and every second of the 4 night affair was filled with eating, drinking, shopping, sight-seeing, sun-burning, and spending almost every cent I took with me. Maybe I should've stayed in my room and watched movies.  :-\

I was thinking the same thing.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bob48

'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' is awesome.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

airboy

We eat and drink on cruises.  No shopping since we had been on these ports before.  Only one trip outside the boat - the Rum Tour in Barbados.  Only thing we bought was alcohol (10 bottles).

This trip was a 10 day stay in a luxury hotel with excellent food, the food is always available, the bar never closes, and we watch movies and relax.  To each his own, but for us it is totally relaxing and we can go on the balcony and hear the boat cut through the sea.  We like being afloat.  We like to eat.  We like to drink.  My wife loves movies and this is the time we get caught up on what we missed.  I go to the gym every other day.

We both sunburn easily, so we stay out of the sun.  We have a 43 foot pool - so why get in the water?